The G.I. Joe Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by F18Starscream, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    There's already contracts in place that lock cobra island as a target subline, hasbro probably can't break said contract

I guess the fact that we are getting wave 1 reissues means nothing

2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Anyone know the SKU or UPC for the retro figure assortment at Walmart?

3. Sdangler6565

Sdangler6565 Hi, my name is Scott. I’m a plastic crack addict

429597575 Works on brickseek

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Got these over 20 years ago. These are from the ARAH repaint line that went back to mass retail in 2000. The repaint of Ninja Force Storm Shadow doesn’t have the springs that the Ninja Force/Shadow Ninja versions have. However the torso still has the blocks that prevent waist swivel. I’ll dremel those away sometime. Despite having a more colorful deco than the original V3, I still like this Snake Eyes V3 repaint a lot.
    E67D3014-57A2-461D-9279-579B6BA0CB29.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  6. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

No, it doesn't. Not when steps haven't been taken to ensure the reissues actually make it into the hands of fans rather than scalpers and looters.
    Without taking measures, reissues are as useless an act as dumping water back into a boat you're bailing from.

Regarding contracts, I agree Hasbro's probably locked in. I'd like to think Target's incompetence constitutes a breach somewhere in there, but it would seem not.

7. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Didn't know you were SoCal too. But yeah, I feel ya. Sometimes I get lucky and find something at Target, but not as often as I'd like, haha.

• Like Like x 1
  8. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I def need to get Roadblock and SE #4 (I think)

Aw man you really in your bag this time, that came out amazing

• Like Like x 1
  9. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    You've been added.

10. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm giving up on the red Cobra team, I just can't do this being in Korea for a year, anyways someone mark me down for on the sheet for RB #4 and SE #5, I forgot about movie SE (#4) and I refuse to count the red paint switch as 2 whole diff SEs, can't believe I'm bout to be up to 5x SEs in one year and y'all talk about McF's Batman fetish.....

• Like Like x 3
  11. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    This one to the right of Nunchuck from the GI Joe VS Cobra line. Firefly was the 1st 3.75 joe with thigh swivels and possibly the 1st with ankle hinges. Nunchuck was designed initially as Quick Kick before Hasbro implemented a rule not to make any figures of Joes who died in the ARAH comics. They killed this rule 5 years later. Only thing it really shares with the original Nunchuck is using green for deco. Nunchuck has ankle swivels. The GI Joe VS Cobra line had a story through the file cards that seemed to take place in the Marvel ARAH comics continuity but years later. However by Spytroops and Valor VS Venom it deviated to the point where it turned into its own continuity.
    54ABDC94-2B8B-42B4-ADEC-2A5DD76E62A0.jpeg

Meanwhile here’s Venom Vs Valor wave 7 Snake Eyes(which can barely hold the weapons it came with, not pictured, due to the weird way the hands were sculpted. Has wrist swivels), GI Joe vs Cobra wave 3 Snake Eyes(has wrist swivel and ankle joints), Venom VS Valor Cobra Commander(1 of the 1st 3.75 molds to have both a removable battle mask and hood) and GI Joe VS Cobra wave 3 Cobra Commander:
    511EDD51-31A0-451F-8E6B-F7E45427D2FE.jpeg

Closeups of Cobra Commander with battle mask and hood, you can’t see it well here but in person you can see the eyes under the hood:

A664C47E-8318-4DF5-98BD-E0BFC2410624.jpeg D2B99DC4-1ECF-4583-8CCC-5A4B80F54467.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  12. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Damn, missed Bludd and Cobra Viper. I'm not stressing too much over the broken releases but it's still annoying nonetheless.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do we know the Walmart name listing for Stalker & Trooper?

14. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  15. Dark Jedi

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seeing the big gattling gun gives me hope for a Rock n Roll figure.

• Like Like x 3
  16. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I kind of wish he was packed with the RAM instead of Breaker. But, oh well.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Agent Prime 2814

Agent Prime 2814 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    kind of wish the RAM was by itself and not a store exclusive so I could get multiple.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Measure 1: Reissues in and of themselves, more supply means that they should be easier to get
    Measure 2: Availability on Pulse. Agree or disagree with this, but figures being available from more than one retailer means that there's a higher chance of being able to get it. Especially considering Pulse uses that captcha crap. Sure the Vipers and Firefly went stupid fast on Friday, but that basically amounted to a lost pallet. Bludd had a pretty healthy window of availability for a partner exclusive and if the rumors of Pulse carrying 5% stock is true then that means that Bludd's production run was a minimum of 64000 units. I'd say increased production is also a good sign.

Roadblock also seemed pretty easy to get and the Snake Eyes/Timber 2 pack being a fan channel release bodes well too.

It's not an ideal situation, and many factors led to the line being difficult to find over the last year, lack of faith in the brand from retailers, delayed movie, lackluster interest in the video game, factories shutting down and slowing/limiting production, people bored at home getting into collectibles (including scalpers) and so on and so on. Personally I feel like the brand team is trying, but to an extent they are at the whims of retailers just as much as they are at the whims of the Hasbro higher ups.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dark Jedi

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bludd shipped from Pulse

• Like Like x 4
  20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Count me in with those who think that Hasbro has a "contract" with Target. My take on the matter...Hasbro really underestimated demand of the figures and that's what leading to the outrage and frustration. Sometimes, I wished that had more confidence in themselves and further develop their own IPs (e.g. Joes and TFs) instead of chasing after Marvel Legends and Star Wars monies - IMO they need Hasbro more. Let me clarify...other than Hasbro I can't see another toy company that can produce decent quality figures of the 2 properties (ML and SW).

Oh man, I have those figures! You can't believe how hyped I was! I think it was Valour vs Venom? first appeared! I bought every single wave! And I army build the Neo Vipers. I thought they were a decent update to the Cobra Troopers! LOL! I also bought a couple of the new Hiss tanks that could rear up its front component like a cobra! The memories!

• Like Like x 3