The first TF show you ever watched; what would you change?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by supernova222, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

So, with the exception of the 1986 movie, the first show I watched was Animated.

What would I change?
    Bumblebee. For some unknown reason, I loved him when I was seven, but he's more than a little obnoxious as an adult. Tone his obnoxiousness down just a tad, and we're good to go.
    Also, I would've liked it if all three Dinobots had been able to speak.
    And I'd probably alter Soundwave's origin episode so he wasn't built on Earth. Everything else we can keep, I just want him to have been from Cybertron and more directly linked to the Decepticons and Megatron.

Finally, the guy who made the Headmaster suit needs to go. I like most of the human villains, actually (even Professor Princess), but Mr. "I am So 1337!" needs to go.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 was my first and I’m probably too tired at the moment to come up with any significant changes.

But one thing I’ve noticed over the years is that the shows that have the most mistakes and are the most sloppy, tend to get the most attention. I kind of wonder if the sloppiness of G1 didn’t help it over the year, with generation after generation trying to fix or improve upon it. Countless thousands of fanfics and art trying to fill in the gaps or just rework bad plots, etc.

Then I see a show like RID 2001 & it doesn’t have any glaring issues. It’s mediocre anime, but the animation does the job without many errors, the plots are basic and chug along without any confusing continuity issues, and everything kinda wraps up in a neat little package. But it also doesn’t leave anything to point out, or try to do mental gymnastics to fix. There’s not much you can do with it, and so it seems to get forgotten.

So maybe leave G1 as the disheveled mess that it is???

• Like Like x 4
  3. Magnus Leader

Magnus Leader Young Optimus Prime is the Best Optimus Prime.

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    First Series Ever Watched = Transformers Animated

What would I change (or add):
    • A better and more expressive OST for the series. The music as is is kinda forgettable in the background.
    • In-depth backstories for the Decepticons.
    • The flashback to the Battle for Iacon.
    • More flashbacks to the Great War.
    • More of Wheeljack.
    • More of Cliffjumper.
    • More of Ironhide.
    • A Season 4 and beyond.
    • More female Transformers in the spotlight.

Controversial indeed.

Because that simply isn't true.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    Well what can i say ?
    This seems to be your favorite OP

5. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The first show I watched Transformers prime.

I would make dreadwing an autobot.

Have starscream kill megatron after the episode “rebellion”.

Have become the leader until megatron kill him after getting resurrected in PR.

And have smokescreen become a prime.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brushstroke

Brushstroke Autobot Sympathizer

For me, I'm an old G1 guy and I'm proud to say I was there at the beginning and the perfect age for Transformers.

I was 9 years old in 84' and completely absorbed in the franchise. My first cartoon was season 1 of G1. Of course, looking back now, the issues were myriad but, probably like most of you and your nostalgic feelings for the first series that got you into it, those flaws are easy to overlook and just become quaint with the passage of time. Still, looking back, I wish they would have taken more time with the animation. The frame rates were dreadful and they made a lot of sloppy mistakes in service of churning out a daily half hour cartoon. But that was ground zero for everything that came after and I wouldn't trade it for the world, warts and all.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

So I didn't come into Transformers until around 2003 when a friend loaned me his dvd of season 1 part 1 from the original G1 series. I immediately loved it, especially my dude Megatron, and was hooked. If I could change something it would be how Megs immediately jumps to the retreat option. It's insane how many times Megatron yells "Decepticons, retreat!" I know that's a stupid thing but it bothers me for some reason. I don't know exactly how I'd fix it but I'd at least drop him from saying it so often.

• Like Like x 3
  8. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Sunbow - G1

Changes:
    -Never end it; it would be ongoing to this day and each TF series since would be continuations/spinoffs from it, tweaking their plots a little to be consistent, but keeping their various flavors. Example: live-action movies - Sam would be Daniel's brother or cousin, Bumblebee would be Goldbug but still have a lost voice, etc
    -Release HD remakes of the first few seasons, but only changing very few aspects for continuity's sake(like renaming an outdated '80s stereotype country "Carbombya", fixing screen-represented scale, etc)

Eh, everything other than that I have a problem with would just be fixed over the run of the hypothetical 37+ year series.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Tigerhawk was absolutely robbed.
    Honestly I probably wouldn't change a whole lot about Beast Wars overall, but I definitely agree with this.

10. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Finish season 4. And not reintroduce Optimus in season 3. Only bring him back as a power master.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    It was either Beast Wars or RID. I don't really remember. It was reruns of Beast Wars since they had them on at the same time as Beast Machines and RID was happening around the same time as well.

It's still hard for me to think of things to change with Beast Wars off the top of my head without thinking of something basic like "Give Terrorsaur and Scorponok better deaths".

For RID, easy, more character-based episodes featuring the Decepticons like with Movor, and give them a better ending, particularly in the case of Scourge.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    RID01 was my first show in general, but Armada was what really hooked me in. So let me try and tackle both.

RID01: Scourge is the final antagonist of the show. The Decepticons successfully betray the Predacons, Galvatron is incapacitated to some extent, and Sky Byte and the other Predacons have no choice but to throw in with the Autobots to stop Scourge from using Fortress Maximus to lay waste to the entire planet.

Armada: Set up the interpersonal drama of the Decepticons far earlier. Rebellion was one of the best episodes of the entire show, so more steady buildup to that in the episodes prior, please. Show hints of Megatron's resignation, Starscream's frustration at the war he was born into and had no choice but to fight in, and Demolishor's conflict between the Decepticon ideal and his loyalty to Megatron as a person. Cyclonus and Sideways can remain as they are, in all honesty. Cyclonus is a simple character and doesn't really need that much in the way of additional development while Sideways was already pretty much perfect the way he was. Also maybe have Scavenger drop a few hints about his true allegiance leading up to him joining the Autobots. A "misfired" missile at Cyclonus while he's strafing one of the Autobots, a Mini-Con that goes missing here and there, Prime receiving some encoded messages from the Decepticons' moonbase as their first tip as to where they've been this entire time.

Also have Megatron stay as Megatron even after he gets the new colors. I get the reason for the rename if we're going by branding purposes, but the constant pinballing from Megatron to Galvatron throughout the entire UT was, and is, stupid. Nobody else renamed themselves after they got their new digs, it was just a different palette and they treated it as such.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Hot head prime

Hot head prime The death trooper who laughs

First I watched was animated. I think I would change, uhh..... The OST to have more soundtracks and be more expressive and, that's about it I guess

• Like Like x 1
  14. mr cheetor

mr cheetor Active Member

mine was beast wars only thing I'll change is put heavy metal rock music in the battle scenes to make it more fun

15. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Bluestreak 's #2 Fan

Beast Wars: I get it being done, but I wouldn't kill off Tigatron and Airrazor. At least not both. Maybe Tigatron who has already got a spotlight episode but I feel Airrazor was really shafted. She should have been developed into a full cast member.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel like AirRazor needs a complete overhaul in the personality department. And nothing against Pauline Newstone, but her voice always made AirRazor sound like a soccer mom trying to be hip with the kids.

I think part of the problem was that she barely had any relations with the Maximals other than the most basic of interactions. But she wasn’t really around long enough to be friends with anyone. And her relationship with Tigatron developed mostly off-screen. They never really showed how those two became an item. One day they just were. She’s in serious need of an overhaul.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

The return of Optimus Prime

18. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

My first series was G1 since it was on right around the time I was born (though I only caught it in reruns because I was too young to really "get" it until after it went off the air. I remember watching the Tommy Kennedy episodes on a satellite dish my parents had. Back when satellite dishes were massive 15-foot-tall steel structures you mounted in your back yard and they actually had to turn and rotate to catch the signal from wherever)

Aside from the obvious stuff like fixing animation errors and voice goof-ups and whatever, the big things I would fix would be:

1) A bit more serialized story. Not full serialization because that wouldn't have worked given how the show was made and the time/audience it was made for. But I liked stuff like Countdown to Extinction being essentially The Ultimate Doom part 4. I liked when episodes called back to earlier episodes and reminded us that stuff happened and things existed. So more little bits like that to remind us that these are a set of interconnected stories and not like 80 episodes of siloed stand-alones with maybe 20 episodes worth of multi-parters.

2) Origins for the characters that showed up in season 2. Even if it was something as simple as "we put out a beacon as soon as we woke up on 1985 Earth and just now these guys showed up on a ship". I never liked that we got into season 2 and it was like suddenly Tracks and Warpath and Beachcomber and Perceptor and the like were all here as if they'd been here all along. Along the same lines, maybe use a similar concept to write out earlier characters who are departing on account of toys no longer being available. So an Autobot shuttle lands and out pops 5 or 6 new bots, meanwhile a collection of bots from season 1 who are being phased out (like Hound or Huffer) depart on a new mission so there's an explanation of why they're no longer around.

3) An origin for the Protectobots. I know why they didn't get one in terms of the production schedule. But they were the only combiner team that didn't get a big fancy showcase episode for their debut. They were my favorite combiner team, so they deserve it.

4) Dial back the Dinobot comedy. I don't mind them having simplistic or child-like mindsets in some regards, but as soon as the movie hit they went from angry, lumbering brutes who barely tolerated being autobots to cranky rampaging toddlers who could breathe fire and tear down buildings with their bear hands. I miss them being able to be badass in season 3.

5) Have Rodimus Prime learn his lesson about self-confidence and Optimus Prime's shadow and make it stick. Seriously there's like 4 episodes in that season that feature him angsting about not being able to live up to Optimus' legacy and not wanting the burden of command only for him by the end to seemingly understand that it's necessary and come out the other side a bot changed for the better. Right up until he has to repeat the process over again. With the last time being in the episode right before Optimus comes back and he gives up the gig for good. It can take a couple of episodes for the lesson to sink in if the writers want to play it that way, but have him actually grow without the literal reset button being pressed between episodes.

6) On the topic of #5 and how Rodimus learned about being a leader for the last time right before The Return of Optimus Prime, a more controversial one: Optimus doesn't take the Matrix back and become leader again when he's resurrected. Instead Rodimus Prime stays in charge and Optimus functions as an advisor or secondary commander who can take over when Rodimus heads out on a mission. This would let them play into a mentor/student dynamic and not cut Rodimus' robo-balls off after all that time spent trying to build him towards accepting his destiny.

7) Give Springer more to do. To the point that he gets something resembling a full character.

8) Let Arcee do more while we're at it.

9) Give Chip and Carly an episode together where they help the Autobots with some fancy tech stuff. It could even be used to make Spike feel like the odd man out because his friend and girlfriend are super-geniuses and he's an oil rig worker who maybe didn't even go to high school? And then there's a lesson to be learned about everyone contributing in different ways by having Spike solve an issue because he has more practical experience with the Autobots on missions or understands some sort of mechanical concept better than the other two because of his oil rig experience or whatever.

10) Feature an aged-up Chip in season 3 to continue helping out.

11) Let Carly continue to be useful in a technical capacity in season 3 so that she's not just "Daniel's mother and Spike's wife"

12) A season 3 appearance for Sparkplug, even if it's just a cameo.

I'm sure I could probably think of more if I were to take more time. but this is good for now.

I said as much in my Beast Wars Rewatch but Airrazor is maybe the most disappointing character in the series because she didn't really get a personality that stuck. She was kinda snarky and confident but she also had that one bit in The Trigger where she just sorta snaps at Optimus about the booby traps (though that was probably just a questionable line reading) and then she gets her off-screen relationship upgrade with Tigatron and then they're gone.

It's like they introduced the character, realized that had no idea what they were going to do with her, dithered around for like 15 episodes or however long she was part of the cast and then got rid of her to clear space for the new bots. It was a character "arc" of nothingness.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Don't have them shout "Maximise" or "Terrorise".
    Change the theme tune and background music.
    Kill off Rattrap when the Axalon crashes in the pilot.
    No Quickstrike.
    Give Dinobot a better voice actor.

I watched G1 back in 85.
    Thankfully we didn't see much of Season 2.
    What I'd change:

Keep the legions of background Seekers.
    Lose most of Season 2 which is where the show got silly with crap like Lord Chumley, Alpha Trion, Kremzeek and Orion Pax.
    Ask Akom for our money back.
    Lose the Gi Joe music they started using in Season 2.
    Give Red Alert and the Terrorcons better voices.
    Lose Flint Dille.
    Get rid of Kup. Hideous design.
    Don't bring back Optimus Prime. Except in Dark Awakening. One of the best episodes despite Akom's atrocious animation. I don't even like Optimus Prime but I thought he was great in this episode.

Keep Galvatron as the bad ass from the movie.

Short version: Fix the animation errors of the pilot and change everything after that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bee427

Bee427 Still here and queer

What would I change about Cyberverse... Nothing. It's perfect.

• Like Like x 1