The Fire Emblem thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Starfire22, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Since the Switch thread is about...well...Switch stuff, and i wanted to talk more about Fire Emblem in general, i figured this would be a good start. :) 

So, who else is excited for the Gaiden remake?

2. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a little curious if Echoes will use the original support system or use the current one, though I suppose it would have to be the old system with how quickly it's coming out. Definitely pre-ordering it.

I said it in the Switch thread, but I'm pretty annoyed it looks like we're not getting the support DLC for Fates. That was my most anticipated DLC and...well, I want to say they need to work on their localization efforts, but we're getting Echoes a lot sooner than past games, and they seem to be implying Fire Emblem: Switch will be coming out in the same year (since the Direct was directed towards the American market) as in Japan (I guess).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Starfire22

News Credits:
    I'm with you. As for support convos, it is based on FE2, so i think it won't have any, but they could put it in. You never know.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NotRamjet97

News Credits:
    Shadow Dragon DS had supports, and I think that was the first one's remaster..?

5. Starfire22

News Credits:
    Wouldn't know. I never played it. :p 

6. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    the only fire emblem game i played was the gameboy advance one with lyn. i got about 12 levels in when i lost my first teammate, and i didn't understand the whole "permadeath" mechanic back then and i lost interest.....i do wish i got the others though, because that one was fun!

7. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

8. Starfire22

News Credits:
    I did. I just remembered it. I apologize.

9. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ride ze Shoopuf?

Soooo...
    does that mean we shouldn't use this one? The general FE thread hasn't been touched for 2 years.

I just wanted to mention that I just started playing through Sacred Stones again a few days ago. I think I'm on chapter 7 or 8 right now. Even though it's very similar to the first FE GBA game (well, first in the US), for some odd reason I find the story and characters much more engaging.
    One thing that always happens every time I play through it, once Natasha comes along poor Moulder always ends up collecting, well, MOLD on the sidelines. Natasha's stats start out a little less, but her very low constitution makes it much easier to rescue her if I get in a bad situation, and IMO there's little need for two clerics on the battlefield.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Validation for those of us with good taste (though the lack of Cherche is disturbing).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Starfire22

News Credits:
    Speak for yourself, i was more a fan of Azura. :lol 

12. NotRamjet97

News Credits:
    I find a disturbing lack of our Chosen Heroine Ophelia Dusk (...or any Fates second gen for that matter).

13. GohanX

GohanX Well-Known Member

I just discovered that Binding Blade had an English translation, I've been playing the heck out of it the past week. It's awesome but the bosses so far are hardcore. The actual stage difficulty isn't bad, but you know how most FE games give you that one guy who's overpowered and you can't really use him/her because they will absorb all the experience? In this one for the most part I have to use him (Marcus) to fight the boss of the stage since most of the other guys will die in one attack with full health. Most of my guys can't even get the last hit for experience if he only has 1 HP since they just miss (and possibly die in the counterattack.)

14. UndertakerPrime

Currently playing through Chapter 9 of Sacred Stones. I ended up having to restart the chapter because I missed my chance to recruit Amelia. I typically play slowly and conservatively to make sure I avoid losing any units, and I had no idea there was a limited number of turns to recruit her before she just takes off.

Kinda funny though how she's a member of the enemy army sworn to destroy you, and all it takes for her to turn her back on her homeland and start attacking her former comrades is for Franz to claim "You know all the rotten things you've heard about Eirika? They're all lies. LIES!" and Amelia's like "Oh, OK. You seem like a nice enemy, I trust you completely."
    At least the enemies you recruit later in the game are shown to be skeptical of their king's motivations for starting the war in the first place.

15. algo448

algo448 Amateur Procrastinator

News Credits:
    Dorcas, why.

A lot of recruitments are kinda iffy. :lol 
    In Amelia's case I think it had more to do with her superior being a complete ass and a murderous idiot, some of the villains are cartoony, but that guy had no defining characteristics besides evil.
    And well, it works better imo if you recruit her with Eirika.

16. UndertakerPrime

I would have preferred that, but Eirika doesn't have the movement range to walk directly from outside Amelia's attack range to next to her. And moving Eirika into Amelia's attack range most likely results in Amelia attacking her and getting slaughtered.

So other than talking to her with Franz, your only option is to "lure" Amelia closer to Eirika using another unit. And there aren't many units who you can be sure won't kill Amelia outright in one battle, but who won't get killed by her either.
    Such is the chess game :) 

17. marvel b

News Credits:
    so i've been wanting to get back into the fire emblem series. anyone know a good game to start?

18. Starfire22

News Credits:
    Depends on which syestem you own. For 3DS, get Awakening. If you own a GBA, get either of the two FE games. (Sacred Stones or FE7...also known as just Fire Emblem)

I mean, as far as the pre GCN games go, you could always emulate too.

EDIT: From a personal standpoint, i started with Awakening, and just went down the rabbit hole from there. Great game, great battles, great characters, better story than Fates Birthright OR Conquest. My opinion? Start with the 3DS ones.

• Like Like x 1
  19. marvel b

News Credits:
    thanks! i believe the gba games are downloadable on the wii u, and i remember playing FE7 in the gba days. i apologize if i'm wrong, but awakening is the one with lucina, right? i kinda wanted to know more about her anyways because of smash bros.

20. NotRamjet97

News Credits:
    Awakening has Robin and Lucina, yes.

• Like Like x 1