The final gross-out! Vintage Madballs each have a disgusting little brain!

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Smokescreen38, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    I saved pretty much every toy that I loved as a kid, Madballs were no exception. I had the complete run of standard Madballs and two of the three “Super Madballs” along with the complete run of the Marvel comic. I was...a bit of a fan. Not related at all, I wasn’t too popular with my female classmates at the time.

Unlike many 80s toys (like Transformers) these guys are a “you had to be there to appreciate it” kinda thing...and I get that when I see some of the modern day gross-out toys in the toy aisle. It’s a weird genre that taps into a curiosity that comes along with a particular developmental stage of childhood. Nevertheless, these remain a true oddity. The simple gross-out appeal was obvious but there was something special about Madballs amongst this genre that’s hard to put a finger on. I feel that only Garbage Pail Kids matched them in this regard. They were beautifully painted and appealing on an intangible level...at least they were to an 8-year-old kid.

Anybody who collected these back in the day will recall that the texture of Madballs was variable. Intentional or not, one Madball might be really firm, one would be rubbery feeling and extra bouncy, and the next might be spongy and squishy. They were all cool to throw around and they all smelled awesome too. They were probably emitting toxic VOCs...worth it.

Well as it turns out, the harder varieties of Madballs have held up fine to the ravages of time while the squishy ones are goners. At least, that’s how mine ended up.

Before tossing them out, I was giving (what was left of) these childhood relics one last look...and Bruised Brother (one of the wave 2 balls) literally crumbled in my hand, revealing an unexpected gross little oddity.

Evidentially, Madballs were made with a dense rubber ball at their core. I don’t know the function of this but it likely added mass (to make them “throwable”) and may have served as some kind of base for the foam injection? Who knows...

In any case, the effect is that they appear to have a fleshy, asymmetrical, little ball of hardened snot for a brain! It actually turned my stomach a bit to find these nasty little cores in all of them...yet I couldn’t help myself!

I appreciated the final gross-out from my toys as I said farewell. I will always have a special place in my eight year old brain for Madballs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Man that sucks that so many of those went to shit! Thanks for sharing, though. I do seem to recall feeling some kind of hard center mass inside of those when I was a kid. I probably only had one or two...and I don’t think any of them survived long enough to deteriorate.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

I loved my Madball collection! I wish they held up but rough play destroyed those toys.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    Mad Balls were freakin cool. I didn't know that about them. Sorry your collection is crumbling away.

5. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I got one of the recent Predator Madballs, but I'd like a couple of the vintage style ones. I liked the football player one the most,t oo bad they're probably all deteriorated.