The End of an Era - The IDW G1 Continuity is ending September 2018

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TargetmasterJoe, Mar 27, 2018.

1. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's optimistic. Has IDW ever had a happy character, ever? The closest things we get are: 1) characters being relieved that their friend hasn't died; 2) being drunk-happy, which really isn't the same as regular happy, and; 3) psychotic/narcissistic happy. Most of the time, everyone is miserably slogging along or grinding towards a long, painful, inexorable death.

Well, except for Nautica I guess. And maybe Windblade, but apparently nobody likes her anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  2. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Yeah, I think that's my issue with the series as a whole. It's way too "downtrodden" for everyone involved.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    But that makes for a more interesting read than Rescue Bots.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AatroxTheAtrociousGuy

AatroxTheAtrociousGuy Member

Nautica is... "fine" since she had her grief (and any feelings for that matter) for her dead friend removed. And I like Windblade very much actually.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Starscream spends *some* of his time happy. Rodimus is.. well, I guess that could go narcissistic. Drift is happy. A fair chunk of the LL crew I feel. Blurr at his bar, and most of the bar crowd really- and yea they are drinking but I wouldn't call that drunk-happy, especially when they're still fairly happy away from it.

And WB's one of my favorites.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NanakoPreame

Twitter:
    Is that the argument you really wanna go with?

7. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except we still have to figure out what Shockwave
    /Onyx Prime
    was up to in the Functionist Universe. I'd love to see a one-shot where he encounters Megatron and shares his post Dark Cybertron story. However instead of his masterful plan unfolding he became increasingly frustrated as NOTHING is happening the way it should, and he ends up eating a big piece of humble pie.

8. NanakoPreame

Twitter:
    Leave the Functionalist crap in the trash where it belongs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    I must have missed that, when did Shockers visit the functionist universe?

10. NanakoPreame

Twitter:
    He didn't. The FU is LL only material.

11. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He didn't visit it like the Lost Light crew, he would have experienced it in its entirety.

Let's focus solely on Shockwave's timeline. He was born, worked with Jhiaxus (who talked about the Dark Cybertron prophecy), became a senator, joined the Decepticons, started his Regenesis project, it culminated in the Dark Cybertron event, and he get thrown back in time. Then he fulfills his preordained role to become Onyx and spread the Dark Cybertron prophecy, thus following the rules of time travel established in MTMTE. (Time travel should result in a closed time loop.) Shockwave/Onyx then lives his life up until the recent events in Optimus Prime. So we have a nice closed time loop, just like Megatron's involvement in his own birth in Elegant Chaos.

However the Functionist universe follows the same timeline as the main universe except it splits off (due to Brainstorm's screw-up) at the point of the Lost Light's involvement with Megatron's birth. That means that the time traveling Shockwave/Onyx who still seeded the Dark Cybertron prophecy and established the era of the primes would have been duplicated into the newly birthed Functionist universe. This is the Shockwave I was referring to in my original post since from his perspective history would fail to unfold as he had originally lived it.

Here is a terribly drawn Back to the Future II style diagram.

Attached Files:

12. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

Was talking about this with a mate yesterday. How we would end it would be Unicron devours Cybertron. With the matrix split, there's no way to stop him. Shockwave is now inside Unicron and taps into his power. Last panel of the last issue, he makes a comment about how it is time. He then presses a trigger on a device.

That's it. Shockwave was the first spotlight, it goes full circle. And it's not revealed what he did. Next issue is the new continuity.

Then, in issue 50 of the new continuity, there is a one page backup strip with Shockwave talking to Onyxwave. Onyxwave explains that there was nothing they could do to save their universe from Unicron, but he tapped into Unicron's power and used it to create a timeline that had no Unicron in. Thus the new continuity. As it also seemed to have generated other differences. Onyxwave is cataloguing those so he's keeping out of the way.

The buildup and event for issue 100 is a unicron herald comes through and tries to bring Unicron through. He fails but flees, never to be seen again until they want to do unicron again.

13. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With the reveal of the new OP #20 cover featuring Primal and BW Megs, I'm calling it now...

The ending of 'Unicron' will segue into the Beast Era. Obviously there won't be new issues, but they'll probably make it so that the 'old gang' show themselves out and the Maximals and Predacons take center stage. It would mimic how the original BW show was the future of the G1 cartoon and leave room open for future revisitation.

14. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't they sort of truncate all of that by introducing the colony world of Eukaris, where all the beast-shaped Transformers hung out? Didn't that place get eaten? That sort of puts a damper on any "Beast Era" when the place with all the beasts got eaten to death.