the difference in quality between the Tf movies and Marvel movies is sad

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by roy_flagg00, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

2. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    In what way is it greedy? The reason they can put out 3-4 films over the course of 12-18 months is because
    • Unlike Transformers they actually know where they're taking their films, unlike di Bonaventura admitting they just don't think about it until it's time to make the next.
    • Every movie they put out ties into a bigger whole, because of that planning and sense of direction.
    • I'd hardly call DC "patient" when they're jumping from Man of Steel to INTRODUCE ALL THE JUSTICE LEGUE IN ONE FILM! Marvel built up to Avengers, and to me and I know others, it feels like they're just rushing to try and compete with Marvel, who've clearly got a better grasp on this whole Superhero-Film-Universe thing.
    I think the reason people are comparing these movies is quite simply because Marvel realise these "ridiculous" concepts don't have to be pure mindless spectacle to be enjoyable.
    It's not that people don't want action and humour in Transformers, it's they want some meat to it as well, and Marvel proves that you can do that.
    There's also the fact that Marvel are clearly willing to take risks, whereas Paramount and Bay just... haven't.

When I saw Avengers for the first time I was still a big fan of Bay's TF movies, and my first thought after seeing it was how much better Marvel had treated that than Bay and co. had Transformers.

As for those saying Marvel movies and Transformers aren't comparable, they both fit into the same sort of action-adventure/sci-fi/fantasy niche, this isn't like comparing TF to, say, the Shawshank Redemption or Schindler's List.

3. Galvatron III

Galvatron III Decepticon God!

Transformers - only has Bay and co. working on the whole universe

Marvel- has more members working on the universe, that's why they can make more movies every year!

4. NebulusPrime

NebulusPrime The Fourteenth

I didn't really like the effects in Guardians. The colors were way too saturated.

5. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Yeah... DC would make two movies a year if they didn't have to keep reinventing their business model because no one likes what they're doing. Every time they get backlash for their shitty movies they act all bewildered, wait a few years, and then jam another down our throat that's the exact same, yet for some reason they expect to work this time. It's bizarre.

Marvel's "2 a year" model is good because they're giving their fans as much content as frequently as possible without sacrificing quality. You might call it "money hungry", but they're running a business. Don't hate them for being successful. What they're doing works for every body involved.

Well that's not fair... Marvel isn't so much a franchise as a production company that encompasses several franchises that share continuity with each other. When people ask "Why can't X be like Marvel", they're not asking why they can't mimic their success, they're asking why they can't meet the inherent in-house stamp of quality that is the Marvel seal of approval.

Apes, Transformers, Star Wars, etc., aren't really a fair comparison as far as "domination" goes... but asking "Why can't they be as good?" is fair. And I think Apes is as good, mind you. I mean, they're doing the James Bond infrequently-produced-semi-sequels-that-work-as-individual-movies thing pretty damn well.

Well... That's not totally true. It was a collection of unrelated Japanese toys, and the first concern was to create a coherent fictional setting that bound them all together. You know, once they had the damn things. And Bob Budiansky did pretty much author that setting. And sense he wrote the original tech specs and the Marvel comics... I guess you could argue they "count" more than the cartoon.

I fucking love Real Steel. Like, I've definitely seen it more times than all the Transformers movies put together. It's also better than any of them, balancing the action, characters, and whimsy fantastically. Atom has more character than anyone in Transformers, and he's not even alive. Or maybe he is. It's sort of vague. Oh, and the robot brawls are great! Compare them to any of the portentous overblown crap from the Transformers movies, and you'll see how much they blow them out of the water.

I'd like to add that I loved Guardians. Those ads calling it the "Next Star Wars" aren't lying. Do yourself a favor and go see it if you haven't already. Seriously, I love that movie. High concept science fiction that borders on absurdism wrapped up in a space opera adventure that blends action, comedy, gigantic stakes and inter-personal drama perfectly. Everything I want out of a summer blockbuster and more, and absolutely what the Transformers movies should be trying to be.

6. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

This.

7. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

Actually they were desaturated.

Transformers is super saturated. Just look at Shia's skin in the first 3 films. Its straight up orange.

8. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

...Ya mean he's not an Oompa Loompa?

9. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

Yep *grabs popcorn while playing gears of war 3*. Welcome the movie section. Yawn!!

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I blame Bay like I always do

11. TheSpartanD

TheSpartanD Minicon Orphanage Owner

Yeah, wouldn't be the Movie section without threads like this, time to return to the Comics section now.

12. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    One of the many reasons Marvel owns Transformers every time, is because they're not afraid to just make a fun movie. Movies like Transformes focus way too much on trying to be "dark", "realistic", and serious", while Marvel just makes a good film that's both fun to watch, and pretty accurate to the source material.

I honestly don't want to see a movie about humans hating good guy Autobots, and killing them in ways that would be R-rated with people. I don't want to see a movie where Optimus shoots down a human, or murders Megatron. I don't want to see a movie that focuses on human issues, and the government. I don't want to see a movie that uses every cuss word, and crude joke in the book. I don't want to see a movie where the good guys are boarderline bad guys, and the bad guys are dumb monsters. I also dont want to watch something that's barely even what I paid to watch. Ya know what I want to see? Transformers!

That's the thing about Marvel. I feel like I'm watching a good movie. I feel like I'm watching Marvel comics on screen. With Transformers, not so much. Actually, not at all.

13. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

I did not start this thread to flame or to hate. It just really pisses me off that a sci-fi fantasy brand that I have loved since I was a kid can't have a live action movie as good as others. I'm not saying the transformers movies had to be perfect or Shakespeare, but they look really bad when compared to Guardians, which is pretty much the exact same genre, so the comparison is a fair one.

But maybe it's not a fair comparison, because as a previous commenter said, this movie is in the same league as star wars. It's really that good.

14. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

When I watch a transformers movie, I feel like I'm watching a 2 hour car commercial/army recruitment ad.

15. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah.. um.. all the transformers are completely CG.. almost none of the marvel characters are completely CG. why doesn't anyone ever take that into consideration.

16. MasterZero

Considering we started off with 20 minute toy commercials, I guess that's moving up in the world.

Also, I don't really think AOE was a very good army recruitment ad considering the army didn't really have a part.

I don't think they're the same genre. I mean, yes, they are both science fiction, but so is Trigun, ET, Starship Trooper, Blade Runner, Warhammer 40K, and Inception.

There are sub genres of Scifi, and I feel Guardians and Transformers are dfferent sub genres.

...Which Star Wars? Phantom Menace, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, or one of the many spin offs?

17. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you are soooo right.. oh wait, you aren't. how many times have people complained about the comedy in the movies?.. A LOT.. because there is a good amount of comedy in these movies.

also.. humans turning on the robots made for a good/interesting/new story.. so i don't see the problem there.

and violence?.. like loki stabbing a mans eye?.. or captain america slicing off the arm of one of the chitauri.. etc.. there's plenty of violence in the marvel movies that is more R rated fodder than a robot being blown up.

"murders megatron"... RRRRRIGHT.

sort of like stark "murdering obidiah" or pepper "murdering" the mandarin.. or stark "murdering" tons of the mandarins soldiers.. or captain america "murdering" hydra soldiers?.. or thor "murdering" a bunch of frost giants?.. or thor "murdering" the dark elves?.. or stark "murdering" whiplash?.. or captain america (assuming he) "murdered" red skull?..

you have got to be kidding me.. GET OVER IT.

18. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

The great thing about Transformers is that it creates a setting where you can do any of those things. Speculative fiction, science fantasy space operas, Spielbergian spectacle and whimsy, high concept social satire... You can do it all!

But even then, I don't know if the suggestion was to mimic Guardians' exact genre so much as the tone, writing style, humor and general direction. Which I'd certainly love to see! :thumb 

Star Wars, man! Don't tell me you call it A New Hope. :inquisiti 

19. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

this is a joke thread, right?

20. MasterZero

Uh...N-no.

[​IMG]