The Definitive G1 Collection in UK

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by User_136440, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    It's basically the fact that it's a partwork magazine rather than a series of "normal" books that creates these complications. A publisher can only sell directly to consumers in regions for which they have a license. For normal books that's not really a problem, since there will be plenty of third-party booksellers like Amazon, Book Depository, etc. happy to ship stuff internationally to countries where the book hasn't been officially published.

But a partwork magazine has completely different distribution channels to books, and won't be stocked by normal booksellers, so the options for getting them shipped overseas are severely limited - since newsagents and other magazine sellers generally aren't set up to handle big international shipping operations.

It sucks for fans in other regions, but there's ultimately not a lot that can be done about it within the framework that this series exists in.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Just in case anybody here didn't know, a few of us are still trying to keep the official Facebook page for this collection alive until the end. While the staff are no longer posting new threads, us remaining posters have been making a discussion thread for each new release in the visitor section of the page there. Staff do still look into it occasionally and answer any comments. Unfortunately only maybe half a dozen of us are still posting there so I thought I'd just stick up a notice here to let people know there's still an attempt at activity there if you're interested and didn't realise it had moved to the visitor section which isn't as visible as the old main staff-created threads were. Come and take part for the final stretch. The more of us there are maybe the more notice staff will take if there's any problems with the remaining books.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ste prime

Ste prime Active Member

Anyone know of any sites other than E-bay or Forbidden Planet that I can order back issues from? I contacted Hachette directly and had no joy, they didn't seem to understand that all newsagents that stock the collection were closed during lockdown in Ireland.
    My local comic shop has managed to track down a couple I was missing but I'm still 6 issues shy of the issues that have been released. I was waiting all year for their back issues store to re-open and when it did, they were out of stock of all the issues I need.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I asked about the Transformers The Movie Adaptation Volume on the Facebook page and was told to keep checking the website as there were regular restocks due, I've seen NONE so far, and have just missed G2 Part2 as it seems to have gone straight from 'Coming Soon' to "Sold Out". I'm probably gonna take the punt on FP's Pre-order for it which says "Due October"?

5. Ste prime

Ste prime Active Member

I cannot find the visitors section, I did see a community section where someone posted a review of the latest issue: Gen 2 part 2
    I think that might be a mistake from FP as G2 Part 2 is the current issue. I just got an order of 3 issues from forbidden planet and found another one there (issue 79, volume 66) that I was missing that wasn't available when I ordered these a couple of weeks ago, so might be worth checking in there every so often..

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Could be but FP do seem to have been getting in late stock/re-stock as opposed to regular street date so I dunno? Have I gone with the "wrong" FP?

EDIT: "Phew!" the Other FP only does in-store, no online!

7. Ste prime

Ste prime Active Member

I'm just using the UK site Products @ ForbiddenPlanet.com - UK and Worldwide Cult Entertainment Megastore
    I'll be working from the office this week so I'm gonna pop into my local FP in Dublin city to see if they have any back issues in stock.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
  9. Sunstreaker76

Sunstreaker76 Member

Sometimes Red hot Comics have issues in, but not at the moment. Had the same problem missed issues 81/82/86 and 89 due to lockdown. Fortunately manged to get them off ebay by checking every so often all under £15. 86 I didn't think I was going to get but it popped up the other week. Its annoying that hatchette don't keep the supply on the website. Personally I think they have the books somewhere but due to limited staff probably working remotely they don't seem to keep them on the website. I also wonder if the shop part of the website updates/ opens again early Sept once staff return from holidays and can fulfill orders. I don't believe they have run out of all the books. I reckon when they have their end of year sale they'll also get so of the missing issues back as that's what happened last year.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    90 & 91 arrived today. 4 more months and this is all over

11. Sunstreaker76

Sunstreaker76 Member

Took me a while to get 86, but its not been back in stock at all in the hachette shop. With the gen 2 book/94 think that fb pre order is worth doing. They don't take money until dispatch so you can hold the pre-order and cancel at anytime prior to them dispatching if you find it elsewhere. Again when looking for other issues fb sometimes get stock in after the pre-order has gone so if you can worth checking in the mornings as it may come into stock.

• Like Like x 1
  12. paulbyrnewex

paulbyrnewex Member

Once newsagents in Ireland closed I ordered all upcoming issues on Forbidden Planet as it is easier to pre order than track down back issues

Forbidden Planet just got all back order issues from their distributors so thankfully I'm all up to date now. As the collection is nearing an end is unknown if the online shop will get much of an update as once a partwork is finished its rare to see restocked issues.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That would be it. If you click on 'Posts' in the banner selection and then 'See Visitor Posts' you'll be in the right place. As you can see it's unfortunately not very busy anymore compared to when staff made the threads on the main feed there.

14. Runamuck86

Runamuck86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure why backissues should be so hard to find. The ones that should have gone to my whsmith for me and others must have gone somewhere during lockdown.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Likewise I have to wonder what's going on with the alleged "regular restocks" on their website, I've seen nothing of the latter run including either volume I'm after get one yet?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys. Bit of a random question, but could someone check what is the weight of vol 13 (City of Fear)? I think its the thickest one, and I want to use it as a point of reference.

17. Sunstreaker76

Sunstreaker76 Member

Just weighed it and comes in at 840g. Looking at my collection seems to be the largest/ similar to volume 20. Although I do not have issue 95 Unicron yet which I believe is also a thick book.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you very much for your help. :) 

19. Sunstreaker76

Sunstreaker76 Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    BANG! Shot fired!
    Primus bless thee, good sir, so many thanks! Hopefully once this and the G2 Part 2 come thru I am once again DONE with this palaver!
    So long, Hachette, it's been a damned chore!

• Like Like x 1