The Definitive G1 Collection in UK

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by mattjy, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Housewife2000

Housewife2000 Fandom, combine!

OK, as we near completion of the Marvel material, I've started to take stock of how out-of-sequence these volumes are. I think the plan by Hachette to “theme” each book makes sense from an advertising point of view, but it entirely works against one of the great achievements of the Marvel UK run, which is to tell a sprawling, interconnected patchwork of tales that all work together. By changing the original publishing order, and even the intended narrative order, you end up with storylines bent out of shape or entirely out of sequence.

I've run through the volumes I have to check where the divergences from narrative order are. This is by no means intended to be a comprehensive list, and some of my personal preferences for story order will undoubtedly be in play. Please throw in any comments and I'll update the post.

Volume 1 – Power Play: Marvel US #1–4 / Marvel UK #9–#21
    Fine. The UK stories technically take place between pages in the US comic, but there’s no easy or neat way to splice them in, so this makes sense.

Volume 2 – New Order: Marvel US #5–#10 / Marvel UK #29–#32 / "And There Shall Come...a Leader!"
    Fine – this splices the stories together as intended and works well.

Volume 3 – Dinobot Hunt: Marvel UK #41–50 / Marvel US #11–#12
    Not fine – the first major misstep: the US strips should come before the UK strips to make sense of Optimus being back.

Volume 4 – Second Generation: Marvel US #13–16 / Marvel UK #59–65 / "To a Power Unknown!"
    Not fine – UK Victory from vol 5 should come before UK #65 here.

Volume 5 – The Smelting Pool: Marvel US #17–#20 / "Victory!" / Marvel UK #74–77
    Not fine – UK’s Victory should come before UK#65, which is at the end of Vol 4.

Volume 6 – Target: 2006: Marvel UK #78–88 / Marvel US #21–23
    Fine

Volume 7 – The Harder They Die: Marvel UK #96–104 / Marvel US #24–26
    Fine

Volume 8 – Wanted: Galvatron: Marvel US #27–28 / Marvel UK #113–120 / "Vicious Circle!"
    Fine

Volume 9 – presumably Spacehikers?

Volume 10 – Trial by Fire: Headmasters #1–4 / Marvel US #38–39 / Marvel UK #130–132
    Not fine – By moving US#38 and 39 here to have a chunk of the Headmaster’s story together, they cause a continuity problem: Shockwave launches his Desert Island base and knocked out of action, before a run of UK stories where he and the base should be on earth:
    UK #137, 138 ‘Ladies Night’ in vol 11
    UK #152, 153 ‘Enemy Action’ in vol 12
    Then US #38, 39 should come before UK #160, 161 ‘Salvage’ in vol 12

Volume 11 – The Legacy of Unicron: Marvel UK #133–138 / "What's in a Name?" / UK #146–151 / "Ark Duty" / Marvel US #40–41
    Not fine for reasons stated above affecting UK #137, 138 ‘Ladies Night’

Volume 12 – Cosmic Carnival: Marvel UK #145, 152–153, 160–161 / Marvel US #42, 44–46
    Not fine for reasons stated above affecting UK 152-153 ‘Enemy Action’
    ALSO - #US46 features the Firecons Sparklers and should – to my mind – take place after Deadly Games in vol 13.

Volume 13 – City of Fear: Marvel UK #164–171 / Marvel US #47–50 / "Dreadwing Down!" / "Plague of the Insecticons!"
    Not fine – besides the US#46 note mentioned above, the whole Underbase saga should take place after Time Wars – the body counts don’t match up otherwise.

Volume 14 – Space Pirates: Marvel UK #172–173, #180–189 / Marvel US #43 & #51 / "Altered Image!"
    Not fine – US #51 should come after Time Wars (as it follows on from the Underbase saga)

Volume 15 - Time Wars
    We don’t know the exact content of this volume yet, but it should come before the Underbase saga.

Volume 16 – The Primal Scream: Marvel UK #198, #213–222 / Marvel US #56–61
    Not fine, as UK #198 should come before Time Wars. It’s a precursor to it.
    The Demons saga should occur between Skin Deep and Yesterday’s Heroes.
    Rise of Thunderwing from vol 19 should come before Yesterday’s Heroes.
    Mind Games should take place before Race with the Devil

Volume 17 – Matrix Quest: Marvel US #62–66 / Marvel UK #223–239
    Essentially, all the UK material should come before all the US material.

Volume 18 – Edge of Extinction: Marvel US #67–75
    Fine! Well, unless you want to move the Earthforce material from vol 20 in here...

Volume 19 – Perchance to Dream: Marvel UK #240–260 / Marvel US #76–77
    Not fine – UK strips Out to Lunch, Rage, Assault on the Ark should all come before Yesterday’s Heroes in vol 16
    UK Mind Games and Two Megatrons should come between Decpticon Empire and Race with the Devil in vol 16
    UK Demons trilogy should come before Yesterdays Heroes in vol 16
    UK Fallen Star, Whose Lifeforce / Greatest Gift should come before the start of the Matrix Quest in vol 17
    To my mind, The Void 4 parter should come after Aspects of Evil and before Rhythms of Darkness in vol 17
    UK Perchance to Dream kicks off the Earthforce stories, which are impossible to place smoothly, but I’d suggest they should come after Rhythms of Darkness in vol 18.

Volume 20 – End of the Road: Marvel UK #261–289 / Marvel US #78–80
    Not fine – Again, there’s no easy way to place the Earthforce storyline, but somewhere in vol 17, perhaps between Price of Life and Surrender.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Seeing as it's likely to contain US#29–#32 & #35–#37 it could also be Crater Critters/The Cure! or Car Wash of Doom if either titled chronologically or by fame/notoriety of title or whatever editorial fiat.

3. Housewife2000

Housewife2000 Fandom, combine!

That makes sense. Do we know if it will include the UK Action Force crossover, Ancient Relics?

4. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I dunno, I'm just spitballing that despite the clusterfudging of the UK strips continuity in comparison the US issues have been reproduced in their correct sequence excepting UK-originating fill-in issues so ideally it should at least contain them.
    I wonder if the AF/Joe Crossover might be skipped because they technically haven't got the rights for them under the TF ones? (Hence the UK version with DH blowing up Goldbug in Wanted:Galvatron covers the missing US GI Joe crossover.)

5. Tomontherun94

Tomontherun94 Active Member

I believe the FB page commented a while back that Vol 9 would be called Toy Soldiers. Although that's the title of a US strip it might suggest that the AF crossover might be included?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Well that really does tie nicely as a thematic title to suggesting the AF strip too so I do hope you're right, fings crossed!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What was the last volume to have an error in it? Im pretty sure I've not been sent a replacement but need to check my version

8. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, are Man of Iron/Enemy Within/Raiders of the Last Ark just excluded entirely?

9. Tomontherun94

Last one with an error was 47, Worlds Collide Pt2. If you haven't gotten a replacement yet message the FB page if you have it or try phoning them

10. Tomontherun94

Nope, they were included with Vol 1 along with US #1-4

• Like Like x 2
  11. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, dumb me not reading the full issue list.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    did Issue 3 and 28 originally have errors in them ?

13. pnova

pnova Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    #60 v54 no errors I can see so far

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rarewolf

Rarewolf New Member

Late to the party, but this collection has got me back in to TF comics after nearly 30 years!

I wouldn't take it for granted everything will be in in print next time there's a sale on. Apparently (according to someone who worked on the Doctor Who (in)Complete History that finished a few months ago with 90 issues, Hachette reduce numbers towards the end of a run. Plenty of non-subscribers are facing an expensive time completing that set, or hoping that Hachette will reprint.

I got really lucky with DG1, I only wanted 1-20 (so nearly there!) and only started in last year's January Sales, picking up my first five or six for £5 each. So my plan was to pick up more this year, then buy the rest on release now my Doctor Who sub is finished. But I looked on their website come October and nearly everything was out of stock. So slightly panicked, but not enough I'd ever pay £25 an issue on eBay. I messaged their Facebook account and they told me to keep an eye on the site. Fortunately everything came back into stock just in time for their Black Friday sales. So I picked up the rest I could in the sale and the others at full price. But the Doctor Who ones never came back into print at the same time, they still haven't. So I'd say anyone waiting from this point is really taking a chance now. Hopefully they will keep them in print long enough. I'm not risking it for the remaining few I want, I ordered them elsewhere the second they went up. Just two to go now. I thought I'd have to wait longer.

Oh there's plenty of scanned comics like that, that don't get shut down, just not to such high quality. You might be asking for trouble even contacting the licence holder. They can't turn a blind eye if you stick it under their nose. And a kickstarter would mean money changing hands (even if not for profit) again, that makes it harder for them to ignore.

I'm not sure you'd really need 600dpi tiff, you just end up with huge file sizes. I scan for a living - and have done several projects for museums, record libraries and a magazine publisher - and none of them have wanted 600dpi.

It's a brilliant idea though (and I'd love to be involved), but I agree such a pristine collection is the best to work from. I'm just chucking out my first 160 or so (my mum hole-punched them at the time so they aren't worth anything!) after checking I've a digital copy of the whole issues. Not just the strips. Getting a consistent colour/white balance is as much an issue when you've many contributors.

• Like Like x 1
  15. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i'm well behind after hatchet messed up my subscription and then there was no customer support from them regardless of a few emails to them so i gave up ... i'm wanting to catch up now so without having to look back on the 29 pages can someone refresh me on any that have had errors and had reissues please , i have the first 16 and the reissue of issue 1 ( vol6 ) that had errors "edit" what errors were there on volume 6 i can't seem to see any diferences

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  16. Deruji

Deruji 小説家と翻訳者とアニメーター

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I was at no point suggesting to do it under their noses. Asking them for the license is what I meant,.

In general filesizes should not be a problem in this age. I've worked with companies that had terabytes of storage available for daily work and archiving data.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I have my copy of the TF book ordered in and saved for me at a local newsagent. Hachette better not screw me over on that near the end just because I'm not a subscriber.
    I might just hit them up on Facebook and see what assurances I can get.

18. pnova

pnova Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't worry I'll keep posting it if they don't reply

19. pnova

pnova Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Been told for #61 there is a stock shortage

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That's WHSmiths telling you that, right?

Honestly, I cannot believe my little newsagent tucked away in a tiny village is getting my copy in (picked it up yesterday) before a big chain store gets it, especially during a 'shortage'. Sounds more like another WHSmiths lame excuse for them not being very good at their job.

• Like Like x 1