The Definitive G1 Collection in UK

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by mattjy, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Meddysong

Meddysong Member

Twitter:
    I'm the opposite to you. 51 and 52 turned up today but I haven't seen 53 and 54.

2. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The biggest problem with the UK issues is that IDW never finished their collection. You'll be fine for the US and some of the UK going IDW but there really isn't a good option right now for a complete UK collection in the US.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Blimey. It looks like the corrected reprint of issue 47 is finally happening. If you're after a copy to replace the error version then I'd suggest you message them now to request it.
    Can you post pics of examples of the bad linework?

4. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I think it might in fact be an issue with the source artwork:
    Hachette vs. Online Original Issue scan:
    DSC_0038.JPG RCO003.jpg
    That's why I was wondering if the IDW reprint of it is just as bad.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Prompted by fellow board member @tikgnat's response to my postings of the page in question in the UK discussion thread, I got out my OG copy of UK #194 and, wow!
    [​IMG]
    I really think a coordinated TFUK community effort to properly scan and document the original UK print issues for posterity is called for!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Higgs79

Higgs79 Well-Known Member

I think this is a great idea. I’d be very happy to be involved if someone is willing to guide me on the optimum settings to use when scanning. I have two sets of Marvel UK. One set is literally perfect with every issue in truly mint, unread condition with no newsagent marks and all the free gifts intact. This set is staying in the vault!

I also have a reading set which I could use for scanning. Is anyone else willing to get involved? Does anyone have any good advice for scanning? If you ask me it isn’t worth embarking on something like this unless a consistent approach can be established especially if we have multiple volunteers. After all we want the source material to be represented consistently in the best possible way.

In other news I’ve just had a Messenger PM from Hachette to say that my corrected #47 is on its way at long last :) 

• Like Like x 4
  7. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I can kind of see how it happens if they're recolouring the old artwork. The original had some pretty light linework and the colours were doing a lot of the heavy lifting. Often some of the black lines get thinner as the colours are removed because the software errs on the side of caution and takes it right up to the edge, so slight linework gets erroded a little.
    That's not to say it doesn't still look dreadful. I kinda wish they just used the old scans as-is and not bothered with the recolouring.

And Thundercracker will be happy to see doggy Buster is enjoying her beach holiday. :) 
    I'm just glad I can hopefully now stop pestering them about it.

8. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    @Gingerchris The Hachette reproduction is pretty much 100% the line quality of the US original but the UK OG reprints deffo had a better source, besides that way crisper 2nd page most of the imprisoned Buster sequence he has fully lined hair but it's still not perfect, the Cybertron flashback page and Blaster's set-to with the Seacons are pretty poor but nevertheless it's a big step up from both the US edition and the reprints.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  9. Deruji

Deruji 小説家と翻訳者とアニメーター

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'd be interested in doing something like that. It would need perfect scans of at least 600dpi as png/tiff/raws to get a good archive quality for an eventual print run.
    Although first it would be a good idea to check with license holders. Otherwise projects like that could get shutdown real fast. Maybe an OK from Hasbro to start a kickstarter would work?
    If you have mint copies those would be the best source for an official version.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  10. pnova

pnova Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The printing of the US issue in Titan are really bad too

• Like Like x 1
  11. pnova

pnova Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I posted on facebook - I can only get my replacement copy of #47 if I returned the 2 copies they sent me that I have returned already.

Kindly note that issue 47 has b been replaced more than once , Please return the damaged issue so that we can assist you accordingly.

If you require any additional information, please feel free to contact us.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope that Hachette ensure anyone that buys #47 from the web shop from this time on get the correct version, rather than the misprint original.

13. Tomontherun94

Tomontherun94 Active Member

For people that get their subscriptions from newsagents, drop the Facebook page a message along with a photo of the dodgy copy of issue 47 and they'll replace it

14. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    That would be rather underhanded of them if they knowingly sent out error versions. I would hope more likely they'd send them out by mistake. Some people have been told to mail back their error copies before a corrected version is sent out. Dunno why they'd even ask for that unless they intend to sell them in some way.
    Indeed. I get mine saved at a newsagent and got my corrected version in the mail today.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pnova

pnova Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    in V53 - just checked how many pages were altered with printing the toys pack Trailcutter issue.

16. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder, do you think it's possible that the UK version was edited after the fact, rather than having been printed from a better source in the first place? Just, some of those trees in the background sure look like someone tried to draw a tree-shaped black outline around an undelineated green blob...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    It's possible, I ran with the assumption that the UK reprinters wouldn't invest that sort of time & money on a toy fad cash-in kids comic. If they did go so far as to do corrective artwork it's a patchy job, like the imprisoned Buster having an outer hairline the other printings lack then going to pot again on the Cybertron Flashback page (I'll try dig out the OG UK issue again and get some pics of the sequence). Would Simon Furman have been UK comic editor at that point, is it worth asking him?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Okay so here are 10 pages pulled from the two G1 issues (thumbnailed so they can be expanded enough for folk to judge for themselves by enlarging without Effing up the thread) that best illustrate the incremental improvement in the lines, it's pretty subtle but look at the line definition on the diving Seacons in the 10th image for example, just a smidge more definition.
    Club Con 1.jpg Club Con 2.jpg Club Con 3.jpg Club Con 4.jpg Club Con 5.jpg
    Club Con 6.jpg Club Con 7.jpg Club con 8.jpg Club Con 9.jpg Club Con 10.jpg
    I mean it might just be a better preservation of the black with the UK printings ink and paper, it seems too subtle for the most part for actual corrections to me but it's open to debate.

• Like Like x 1
  19. fortmax98

fortmax98 Member

I don't suppose any good samaritans in the UK would be willing to buy and ship them to the US. They would be compensated of course.

20. pnova

pnova Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You want to wait for the next £5 sale because you are paying UK prices on postage which is double US prices before you get to the exchange rate