The Dark Knight Rises

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OmarJT82, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Probably Dick. Talia Al Ghul is explained in the movie, thus it wasn't just a name drop. If Dick Grayson was name dropped at the same instance Robin was, with no other mention, it would go over a lot of casual movie goers heads. But Robin was known by pretty much all. It sucks, but it makes sense, at least in my mind.

2. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly if Bruce had died that would have ruined the movie for me. As he was bringing the atom bomb out to the ocean I was thinking to myself, "Oh God they're really gonna end it like this?" After all the shit he went through it seemed like a really stupid way to go out. Yeah, he was making the ultimate sacrifice for Gotham, but still.

3. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I just felt that Bruce dying was the only way for the trilogy to seem complete. While I think we all knew he was just going to step down, it seemed less of a sacrifice. I didn't mind the ending, but I am still a firm believer that they should have killed him.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Just got back from it. Just amazing. So much fun and an ending that left me and the theatre clapping.
    I thought the ending with Bruce being alive was just perfect. Batman did die. Bruce Wayne died. But the man who saved Gotham lives, finally enjoying his well-earned life. Everything about it was brilliant, from Lucius discovering The Bat's autopilot to be fully operational to Gordon finding out who Bruce really was and Alfred seeing him and Selina across the resturant. Just perfect.

Bane was really cool.
    The way he died, being shot by Catwoman, I thought was awesome. And the twist with Talia being the real mastermind and Bane being but one half of League leadership was great Catwoman herself was awesome. Her and Batman's relationship was wonderful. Finally a continuity where Batman doesn't become a love-struck dumbass when he meets her. Yeah she played him a few times but it was genuine deception instead of just her waving her goods and him floating behind her on a wave of cartoon hearts.

If I had to pick flaws, which I've done with the past two films as well, I guess I'd have to say it was a bit too talky around the middle-ish area and almost too brutal at times.
    Batman got beat pretty bad, even if he put up a damn good fight. Also when they hanged the Wayne board members from the bridge I felt that was almost uneeded.

The best part of this movie was that it was Batman's movie. He really was the star and the driving force. Too many times Batman takes backseat in his fiction, such as in Dark Knight. Here it was all about him and it was amazing.

I agree. I love TDK, but it did drag at times and Maggie OHGODTHATFACE was fucking insufferable. If it weren't for her and the few drags I'd say TDK was much better, but TDKR just edges out since it's pretty much solid all around. Plus, as much as I like Bale Batman, his performance in TDK wasn't amazing. Here he was much better.

5. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Maggie was fine, I thought. Much better than Katie Holmes. Anne Hathaway was better than them all though. Plus, even though it had more Batman, I cannot put this movie above TDK simply because the Joker made it so much more enjoyable. I will admit the fight scenes with Bane are the best scenes from the trilogy, but still.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Agreed. Personally
    I'd like to think Bruce has a happy ending in atleast one continuity.

Also I like Maggie more. I never got the hatred for her. Katie Holmes well all i can say is her divorcing Tom was the best thing she's ever done...it's the only good thing she's ever done. *anyways offtopic*

back to Dark Knight Rises.

7. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Seriously? Aside from the unbelievably bad acting she simply is not an attractive woman.

She kills the movie for me. I can't watch TDK without flinching everytime she's on screen.

8. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    And Katie Holmes was better? No.

9. Cyber-Scream

News Credits:
    Acting aside Katie was easier on the eyes IMO.

10. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'd rather have an average looking woman who can act than a semi-attractive one that can't. So I liked Maggie more. Anne Hathaway > All.

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    That can't be considered an opinion, that has to be a fact.

12. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    No, they both sucked shit. But Katie Holmes didn't make me convulse at the mere sight of her.

Maggie's acting was worse than Holmes. It was like she was actually mugging for the camera with that horrible grin and blinking and rolling her head like everyone she was talking to was a fucking nine year old. God she was painful.

Also Anne Hathaway topping them all is not debatable. It is truth.

13. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I didn't mean the Anne Hathaway part as opinion. I thought we could all put that as fact. But Maggie just didn't have the bitchy feel Holmes gave off, at least to me.

14. Dome Zero

Dome Zero Every place reminds you of someplace else.

She may not be Anne Hathaway pretty, but she was well-cast as a reasonably attractive woman who works long hours doing a stressful job.

15. wyze2099

wyze2099 Well-Known Member

I liked what was done with Blake. He was meant to be his own distinct character, but combining aspects of the first three Robins. Like Dick Grayson, he became a cop and eventually the successor to the Batman mantle. Like Jason Todd, he grew up an orphan. Like Tim Drake (whose last name rhymes with his last name), he deduced Batman's secret identity without having to be told, and he turned out to be an excellent detective in his own right. The revelation at the end that his actual first name is Robin is basically a tipoff to the comic fans that this is what they're doing. He's not meant to be Dick Grayson so much as a merger of three comicverse Robins, and a reinvention of the idea of Robin in a Batman movie.

I was initially disappointed by what I'd heard about Nolan and Bale being unwilling to put Robin in the Batman trilogy. To me, Batman is actually incomplete without a sidekick/partner of some kind (Robin, Batgirl, or someone else). Sidekicks bring out a different side to his character than just the growly badass, and they give him hope for the future -- hope that the Batman legacy can outlast Bruce Wayne. This movie alleviated my fear that Nolan and the rest just didn't get that aspect of the Batman mythos. Turns out they did, and they left it on the best possible note.

Heck, I'd be down for a fourth movie in the series (by a different director of course) that fully establishes Robin John Blake as the new Batman. Now that he knows what he's gotten himself into, it could be neat to see the kind of training he puts himself through in order to become a worthy successor of the mantle (as long as it's not the exact same type of training Bruce went through). And this guy might be more likely to have sidekicks or partners than Bruce.

16. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    Does anybody else think Bane is the best out of the four villains? He's just so... smart.

And I can get someone to agree when I say this is the best Catwoman yet. Better than AC Catwoman.

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yes on both accounts. While I think Joker is a better character, Bane is a better villain. And this Catwoman was great.

18. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Bane just seemed to be a glorified henchmen, especially when Talia was revealed. Everything was Joker's idea, and Joker beat Batman mentally. Twice. Bane beat him once in a fist fight. And then enacted Talia's plan. I'd say second best villain in the series. Plus Bane's death just sucked.

19. Cyber-Scream

News Credits:
    No arguing with you there.
    Oh definitely. The Joker was good, but, not nearly as threatening as Bane.

20. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Bane beat Batman in a fist fight eight years after his prime. Joker beat Batman twice mentally in his prime. Plus, Ledger was much more impressive. Bane just looked big and kicked ass. Joker killed people in shocking ways and wasn't anyone's bitch.