"The Crossroads" A completely wasted opportunity. (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Jan 7, 2020.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I put spoilers in the title so you have been warned if you haven't seen the episode yet that this will contain spoilers.

So the episode "The Crossroads" from Transformers Cyberverse has the most interesting premise we have ever seen brought into a Transformers cartoon and... they some how managed to make it the most boring and uninteresting episode in the series so far. How is that even freaking possible?

Well it's an episode that deals with the Multiverse which is where the interesting premise ends. They could of done so much with this idea. They could of stretched this out into muti-part story or an extended special like they did with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They could of made this a movie like Spider-man into the Spiderverse.

They could of done a million different things with this idea and what do we get out of it? Nothing... freaking NOTHING! Every "alternate" version of a character we meet in this episode is EXACTLY the same as the main cast version of that character. There's a version of Rack'n'Ruin who's the captain of the Ark instead of Optimus but other than their rank they're exactly the same as the main Rack'n'Ruin. There's a scene where Robot mode Grimlock talks to Beast Mode Gricklock which is about the only thing I liked in the episode and it lasts for all of 2 lines of dialog, one for each Grimlock and then we never see them again.

Another thing is that we learn at the start of the episode that anything caught in "Unspace" for too long will eventually cease to exist. The thing is the first two Arc crews we meet say that everything is exactly the same except one received a message from Chromia and the other received a massage from Perceptor. This is important to note here because the "Chromia" Ark crew is the one who arrived first. We know this because we as the audience saw them play that message before they entered the Space Bridge. The "Perceptor" Arc crew came it later after they explored another Arc who's crew had already vanished.

Later in the episode we see one of the Arc crews disintegrate just like the abandoned Arc from earlier in the episode. Now here's the issue... the episode ends showing that Chromia was forced by the Decepticons to leave that message. But based on what we know from how "Unspace" works there shouldn't even be any Arc to return to that universe's Cybertron since they should of been the ones who died in "Unspace" and the episode should have ended showing Perceptor instead of Chromia since everything was said to be the same except for that one thing... so if the "Chromia" Ark crew didn't die... who the Hell did? And are we not going to address the fact that there are now at least two universes that don't have an Arc crew anymore?

I assume that in Perceptor's universe the Decepticons have him held hostage instead of Chromia and they're just sitting there doing what exactly while they wait for an Arc that presumably will never come?

Another big thing they could of done here... Shattered Glass... This could of been an awesome way to introduce the concept to a main stream audience. Maybe have the SG Autobots follow the main Autobots back into their universe. But again no... Honestly that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the other Ark is that this was going to be the introduction of Shattered Glass. But no... it's just a bunch of dumb jokes that aren't even funny, a plot that doesn't even make sense, and a complete waist of potential.

The multiverse is one of the most interesting concepts that has been utilized in so many great ways across different fictions some great, some pretty nonsensical but this is the first time I've ever seen the concept so utterly wasted that they actually made it BORING.

Spider-man into the Spider-verse is pretty nonsensical at times... especially the part where Spider-Ham is a thing that exists. It's stupid but at least it isn't boring.

Even if you had to reuse this voice cast I still would of preferred if they had used other Transformers designs. Like have a G1 Ark, a RID2001 Ark, a UT Ark, ect. That way there's at least some variation in the different designs for the same characters and we can get more out of it than just hey lets have everyone talk in unison and make Hot Rod say "No way" a lot, and a bunch of other stupid dumb jokes.

The only reason I like that part with Grimlock is because they had one in robot mode and one in beast mode and since Grimlock has a totally different personality depending on what mode he's in it actually provided some interesting funny dialog... for all of 2 seconds. But it was the best 2 seconds of the entire episode. I would rather watch the out takes or an extended scene of just Ryan Andes talking to himself as Grimlock. Doesn't even need to make sense just give me a whole episode that's just banter between these two.

[​IMG]

That would be way more interesting than anything else that happened in this episode. Even the version of the Ark with Rack'n'Ruin as captain wasn't in any way interesting because it was played off as a joke. It's not like they were explained to be the Prime of that universe they were just like hey you know what would be hilarious, if these two Autobots that are fused together were leader of the Autobots. Yeah lets do that. They're even animated to just make silly faces like you're never suppose to take them seriously and just forget about them. And that's what this was, a mostly forgettable pointless episode.

I can't even blame the run time here because even if they had time to expand on the idea more what would be the point. They don't do anything with it. The whole thing is just played as a joke... even the very serious threat of we could cease to exist at any minute is totally ignored for the majority of the episode. They don't even seem to care that two versions of the Ark were essentially killed off... two entire teams of Autobots gone. Presumably they all received similar massages from Cybertron and presumably there are two universes where the Ark will never come to save the Autobots back on Cybertron. How can you present the whole thing as a joke and simultaneously make a vary serious threat like that at the same time? Are just suppose to ignore that these other universes exist? The show doesn't seem to care about them so why even present the idea in the first place if you're going to do nothing with it? What the hell was the point?

Even something as stupid as Spider-Ham I still can't believe that's a thing... which is also just a big joke... at least the plot has legitimate consequences that mean something to the story being told. When a ridiculous Looney Toons knock off takes the story more seriously than Transformers you know you're doing something wrong.

When the freaking Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles who's entire brand is built on being the most ridiculous concept imaginable has done this type of story far more successfully... TWICE!!! You know you're doing something wrong. It's kinda played as a joke there too except the jokes are actually funny and make sense for the characters and there's also a plot with consequences that actually matter. And most importantly, even when the story is kind of nonsense at times it's at least fun to watch. It's interesting seeing these different versions of Turtles together. It was never boring. That's the biggest problem here is they made the multiverse BORING.

There are literally an infinite number of possibilities for different versions of the same characters to interact together when you have a story involving a multiverse and they chose to not do ANY OF THAT! This episode is like taking a vacation in another country for the first time and then never leaving your hotel room. WE HAVE HOTELS HERE! Why did you go to another country if you weren't going to DO ANYTHING while you were there? What was the point?

I think there was a total of 10 different Ark crews in this episode but who cares because they're all exactly the same.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Selling: Rodimii! All Rodimus must go.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I loved it. You have to pay for rights to have characters not in the show you are doing, in your show. This was a super fun episode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I'm going to chalk it all up to character models costing extra money. Even the Sharkticons only had two character models for an entire 3-sided army in a previous epeisode. It would have been interesting to do at least a Shattered Glass version (all they'd have to do is color swap) - but that would have caused the episode to most likely double in length.

Considering the last four episodes have been "filler" anyway, marking time until they get to Season 3, I think the larger focus was making it more like a Star trek episode...with optimus even doing the Picard maneuver saying "Engage!".

4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Cyberverse as a whole is a completely wasted opportunity.

Why actually do something more ambitious when you could just do the bare minimum instead? People will still lap it up.

• Like Like x 4
  5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

What does that have to do with anything? I'm not talking about a crossover between characters owned by different companies which is the only time that's ever an issue. I'm talking about multiple versions of the characters who are ALREADY in this show. Hasbro doesn't need to pay anyone for the rights to use them, they already own them.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the 3 Sharkticon leaders had unique character models but I'd have to look.

7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

That's what they just said. There were two character models. The Sharkticon leaders all share one character model that is different from the typical G1 Sharkticon design all the other ones used.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Attention spans are shortening in kids as parent and educators adapt to their "learning style" rather than force the children to adapt to "adult standards" - which really means we're not teaching them effectively but that's a whole other ball of wax. The fact remains we live in a world of Tik Tok videos where 10 and a half minutes is a long time to watch anything if you are under the age of 12 - which happens to be the demo of Cyberverse.

And while it's Hasbro's job to make product that is popular beyond just the target demo, I think it's surprising them how much the Transformers community is warming up to the series, especially in the second season. Make no mistake, I don't think anyone here really prefers the format - but, on a personal note, the stories are basically on par with how I would have "played" with my Transformers as child along with my friends. It's effective in nailing that aspect down.

The toyline also seems to be a dumping ground for "other characters" that WFC hasn't or won't touch yet. It was nice to get a decent Alpha Trion, a modern Cheetor, Deadlock, Scraplets, etc. finally at retail. Cheetor even stands well with PotP Optimus Primal if you want to go the strict Beast Wars way of things.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Everything you just said is wrong.

1. Kids attention spans aren't shortening at all. That's a myth that started mostly because YouTube videos at the time this myth started couldn't be over 2 minutes long. The run time of YouTube videos has gotten longer since then and it's actually mostly ADULTS on YouTube now but that myth is still persisting despite there never being any serious evidence that this was ever actually a thing.

2. That actually seems BACKWARDS because the education system now is a lot more strict than when I was in school. We never had home work on weekends or over vacation time. Even the most strict teaches I had in school never did that. Like even the ones who were strict enough to assign work on the first day of school when all the other teachers would just give a lecture on what they would be teaching never gave home work on weekends.

When I was working in theater I was working with a lot of kids who were still in school and they essentially have ZERO free time. Weekends, summer vacation, didn't matter, they were ALWAYS doing home work. If you're wandering how you can have home work over summer vacation... so was I... apparently now days teachers will email students assignments before they've even met in person. The same day this girl finished elementary school her high school teachers she'd never met before had already assigned her like 15 different things to do over the summer before she would even officially start high school.

You really want to tell me their education is being adapted to them when teachers are doing crap like this? They work more than adults do. At least adults actually get a vacation not a list of work assignments they have to do at home when they're suppose to be on vacation.

I can't really entirely blame the teachers though. A lot of them are petitioning the school board to change this. They don't like it any more than the kids do. But that's what they have to do now.

Yeah again, that myth started with YouTube videos only being 2 minutes long. Fact is how long videos on the internet last has ZERO to do with the attention spans of kids. Just because Tik Tok videos are ten and a half minutes long doesn't mean anything other than that's a completely arbitrary limitation the app provider decided to put on their videos.

There hasn't been any legitimate scientific studies done that actually prove there's any basis to this claim. It's just people like you going well these videos are really short so kids must have really short attention spans then. That's called jumping to conclusions. One does not prove the other.

Also there's the fact that the vast majority of users are adults and teenagers. The vast majority of internet videos are even targeted to adults and teens. While there are a few kids channels most of them aren't. Even if the content is safe for kids the creators have even said they were never a kids channel. So this kinda furthers the idea that these videos have little to nothing to do with the attention spans of children... If there is any truth to the claim it would more likely be that ADULTS attention spans are getting shorter.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It was a fun episode but yeah they totally should've/could've done a Shattered Glass episode, but there's so little time in an episode to really make that work.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @SaberPrime who wouldn’t want a massage from Perceptor? Most pliant hands on Cybertron. ;) 

What you’re asking is for a single episode of an already cheap cartoon to go over-budget modeling lots of new versions of the cast for a one-time-use visual cue. That’s unreasonable.

Comparing a 9-minute cartoon to a feature length movie is also unreasonable.

And of all the dozens of carbon copies of the Arc, why would you think only one of them received a message from Chromia? Probably hundreds did. And hundreds more probably got a message from Perceptor. And hundreds more got messages from someone else. It’s not a plot hole.

You shouldn’t let a throwaway cartoon for 6-year-olds get you this angry.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

That would be unreasonable if that were actually what I was asking for but it's not.

You're assuming it would be one time use but they could always reuse the animation models again in later episodes or even revisit the multiverse.

Plus it doesn't HAVE to be entirely new animation models... it would be nice but they could just recolor the existing ones. OR ACTUALLY PORTRAY THE CHARACTERS DIFFERENTLY FROM EACH OTHER. Literally ANYTHING that separates the copies from each other.

Again I agree and not at all what I was doing. I had suggested for the story to be EXTENDED into a multi-part story similar to what Ultimate Spider-Man did with Into the Spider-verse. EXTENDED into a longer than normal special similar to what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles did TWICE when modern versions of the turtles had crossovers with their 80's counterparts. or EXTENDED into a feature length movie like the other version of Into the Spider-verse. Not sure how you missed the most important part of that being to EXTEND the length of this story. I'm not expecting them to do that in the short time this show normally runs on.

You totally missed the point of that. It doesn't matter how many Arks got a message from Chromia or how many got a message from Perceptor, or how many probably got a message from someone else. The only thing that matters is those first two Ark crews. Everything else is totally irrelevant. They never even tell us anything about those other Arks. It doesn't matter. What does matter is this.

The first Ark got a message from Chromia.

The Second (Technically 3rd as the second one they ran into was already missing it's crew) Ark got a message from Perceptor.

One Ark crew vanishes during the course of the episode.

In the end we still end up back in a universe were Chromia sent the message.

This implies that we ended the episode in the same universe we started in. Even if there was another Ark who also got a message from Chromia there is nothing here to indicate this is a different Chromia from the one we saw at the start of the episode. It might not exactly be a plot hole, which I never said it was... it's just FREAKING BORING! The more interesting thing to do would be to to come out and show Perceptor as the one on Cybertron at least then we'd know that we came out in a different universe and that the first Ark crew we saw is dead... but nope... we're just going to completely ignore that at least two entire ships full of dead Autobots are never going to return to their universes? No one in the show seems to care.

The fact that you're referring to it as a "Throwaway cartoon for 6 year olds" kind of makes that a little ironic and hypocritical. The funny thing is I'm not even really angry. At least not any more that you are. Don't take it so seriously. Maybe it doesn't come across well in text but I'm pretty much just doing the same thing Doug Walker does in a Nostalgia Critic review, being overly sarcastic just for the lols. I don't actually care that much.

All I really want is for the show to do something interesting. I just don't get how they managed to take one of the most interesting concepts imaginable and make it boring. And you can't use "but it's just a kids show" as an excuse because other kids shows have done the same thing successfully many many times before. Even Batman Brave and the Bold did this. It wasn't the greatest example of a multiverse story but it at the very least wasn't boring. They had a lot of different Batmen from different universes and they were on screen for probably only like 5 minutes but they all had different designs so even though they don't really do much it was at the very least interesting to look at.

Heck Teen Titans Go! is a stupid show that no one likes yet Cartoon Network keeps making it... for some reason... The show itself even references that no one likes it... and they did the multiverse story line better than Transformers did. Their run times are about the same too. Though Teen Titans Go! had the foresight to make their Multiverse episode an extended hour long special knowing that it would be pointless to cram that into their normal run time.

And that's what this was... a pointless missed opportunity that needed to be a special of some kind to actually make it work.

13. Runamuck86

Runamuck86 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ideally i would have liked to have seen TFA designs and TFP designs... But if that wasnt possible some new designs would have helped.
    I did feel it was a bit of an anticlimax to an otherwise enjoyable season 2.

14. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    OOokayyy...

I didn't mention Youtube...but since you brought it up, it's not "mostly adults on Youtube" at all. There's so many kids on Youtube that content is now being flagged with potential fines if they contain inappropriate material and aren't labeled appropriately. Just like any form of media, it attracts people of ALL ages. But you aren't really invalidating my remark here...rather if Youtube was kids' media of choice, the prior time limit only reinforced shortened attention spans for an entire generation of kids...i.e. kids got used to only 15 minutes of media at a time - and the shorter the better. This impacts their perspectives beyond social media, though. EVERYTHING now needs to be in snippets. Movies generally get a pass but only if the scenes are quick paced, never lingering for too long. Michael Bay is a master of this and part of the reason the Transformers movies were well received.

That's entirely anecdotal. My experience is too but I have two kids in school right now. The level of respect given to teachers and authority is practically zilch, although a lot of that starts at home. Homework happens because the teacher doesn't have enough time to finish teaching a lesson after the kids spend half the hour zoning out or flipping him or her off.

I've never heard of this. I've also never heard of students going from elementary school to high school.

And again, you're missing the point that this is only REINFORCING short attention spans.

Actually, there has. But yes, the digital age is affecting BOTH kids AND adults.
    You Now Have a Shorter Attention Span Than a Goldfish

The fact is that attention spans are shortening. Youtube and Tik Tok are contributing. Adults aren't helping. And this is where we're at.

15. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I would say your local education board failed then

I grew up between the 70s and 80s, and the only time I can remember not getting homework on weekends , holidays or vacations was in the very early grades of grammar school

By the time I was i was 7ish (2&3rd grades) I got homework just about every night

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In your first post, you said you wanted to see them use several versions of the bots from a “G1 Ark, a RID 2001 Ark, a UT Ark, etc.” Which would be cool but god awful expensive.

Yeah, it’s possible they could reuse the character models, but I don’t think we’ll see the multiverse again. This show introduces ideas, but it doesn’t explore them.

That’s more reasonable.

But that’s not what we got & not the story the writers wanted to tell. They didn’t have any interest in the multiverse except to say that it exists.

Literally this was a simple “trapped in a room” story. The multiple Arks were thrown in just to establish a threat & urgency. Not to explore alternate realities.

I’m not sure what they could do about it anyway other than comment on how it sucks for those realities. Something akin to learning about the one reality in Star Trek where the Borg conquered the federation.

It is a throwaway cartoon & it is intended for very young kids. A fact that’s good to keep in mind when watching it as an adult. Nothing hypocritical about that.

Lol I actually enjoyed this episode.

Doug Walker is an annoying screech owl. Don’t be like that.

Cyberverse isn’t here to be interesting. All it does is regurgitate stuff from old material. Which is kind of a bummer, because they keep using concepts, characters & lore that I like. I should like it more for that alone, but they don’t do anything new or interesting with that material & often fail to even live up to the old stuff too.

I never do.

As many people, myself included, have said before, the 9-minute runtime absolutely kills this show. The potential is there but it never gets tapped.

17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I'm aware of this but that has nothing to do with the number of children being greater than the number of adults. The reason they're doing this is mainly because of things like Momo... a creepy puppet thing that seems to be targeting children but the content of those videos is NOT kid friendly. I haven't seen the videos myself and I think they may only be assuming for kids because it's a puppet... like Don't Hug Me I'm Scarred has puppets but is NOT MADE FOR KIDS. This was in the news just before the changes to YouTube were announced. The goal is to make it clear what's for kids and what isn't. That said it's funny you brought this up because that's the vary reason I know that YouTube is mostly adults. Multiple channels on YouTube have brought this up saying their channels are not "for kids" including our own TJ Omega who said he keeps his channel PG because he's aware kids watch his videos but he doesn't make his videos specifically for them. They're made for adults. Multiple other channels are the same way. If everyone is saying pretty much the same thing, that they're aware kids watch but they don't make videos specifically for kids... guess what... that means IT'S MOSTLY ADULTS. There are very few actual "Kids" channels that have identified as "kids" channels. There are even fewer YouTubers who ARE kids.

I never said there were no kids at all. And as long as there are kids who do use YouTube no matter how few of them there actually are... YouTube is going to do everything in their power to keep them from seeing content marked as inappropriate for children.

You think that reinforces the idea? You totally missed the point of what I was saying then. You're jumping to conclusions without any evidence to support it. Nothing you're saying proves your claim. It's all just baseless assumptions that have never been properly tested. Unless you have any actual data to back up those claims showing a rise in kids being diagnosed with ADD and ADHD in relation to the content they're exposed to being shorter. Of course there are about a million other factors to consider as well besides just the length of content. But there are no scientific studies on this, at least not that I'm aware of, it's just people like you making completely basely accusations and presenting them as facts with absolutely no evidence.

I also find it funny how you then talk about two hour long movies and have to rework your entire argument to explain how movies have gotten longer when supposedly attention spans are shorter. I didn't even mention movies but since you brought it up... yeah movies have gotten more fast paced and longer run times than they ever have in the past. Except again those movies aren't made for children they're made for adults, children just also happen to watch them.

You mention the Micheal Bay movies specifically. You can't possibly look at all the sexual innuendo and adult language in those movies and tell me those were made for kids. Every other word that comes out of Wheelie's mouth is a cuss word and there's a scene of him humping Megan Fox's leg like a horny little dog. You wanna explain to me how that was meant for kids?

Which was my point...

Going to remove the other stuff because that sounds more like an oddly specific problem relating to very specific set of circumstances that is not the norm in most cases. This part right here though is simply not true... at least not entirely. While it can be in some cases like you were describing the majority of homework is assigned because a lot more is expected of children than they could ever possibly fit into a normal school day.

Teachers have more than enough time finish teaching a lesson in class... provided students aren't being overly disruptive the way you were describing. That very specific set of circumstances by the way doesn't at all explain how a student can receive homework for a class they haven't even STARTED yet from a teacher they've never even met in person yet. I'm talking they're required to turn in 50 pages of school work per class ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL all of which they're required to do over their summer vacation. They have no summer vacation anymore because it's all taken up by school work.

Maybe that's why short videos are so appealing, not because their attention spans are short but because their free time is short. Oh this video is over ten minutes long, can't watch that, I gotta do homework. It's essentially adults limiting what they can watch to short snippets because they have no freedom to do anything else.

Where I live there are no "middle schools" which I believe is 6th,7th, and 8th if I understand correctly. I never even heard of the term "Middle School" growing up so I'm not exactly sure. But the students who would normally be considered as "Middle school" students are all in either Elementary or High School because there is no physical campus that is only "Middle School".

There are two high schools in the area, one is just a normal High School Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior. This is where I went to right after Elementary school which was K-8. The other High School starts in 6th Grade which is where I came to the assumption that Middle School was 6-8 since those students seem to be split between Elementary and High School campuses.

There's also a difference in how the two high schools run their classes with the one I went being 6 classes per day and you'd always attend the same classes each day... except on finals where classes are twice as long as normal so you spend one day in three classes and the next day in the other three classes. The other high school has eight classes and they're always split with four on one day four on the next day always rotating back and forth each day as to which classes you go to.

In both cases weather it be an 8th grader moving to the same high school I went to as a freshman or a 5th grader moving to 6th grade at the other high school they were always doing home work in the green room and back stage. It didn't matter what day of the week it was or what time of the year it was, they were ALWAYS doing home work. I worked in that theater for 7 years with multiple kids and teens over that time. I was actually just finishing high school myself when I started. And just in that 7 years I watched as the kids who came after me got more and more home work every year until it got to that point where it didn't matter what day of the week it was or what time of the year it was, it was the middle of what should of been this girl's summer vacation and she told me she already had home work for the next school year that hadn't even started yet.

I knew some of her teachers too because they were my teachers when I went to the same school. I talked to them wandering why I had kids doing homework over summer vacation of all things and they literally told me they were required to do that now. They don't like it any more than the kids do because it gives more work for the teachers to grade but that's their job now to completely over load kids with massive amounts of homework.

Though by now I actually mean like 12 years ago, maybe it's gotten better since then but I doubt it considering that was even before the stupid common core stuff was introduced.

Again you're missing the point that it's not reinforcing anything, you're jumping to conclusions. None of this is evidence of short attention spans.

Nice try there but according to that our attention span was only 12 seconds long even BEFORE the shortening which itself is only 4 seconds shorter. You seem to be suggesting a whole 20 to 28 minutes of a difference. Also it's a study that mentions the attention span of a goldfish which is also a myth that has been debunked by science but a lot of people still for some reason believe is true. On top of being full of misinformation and having numbers seemingly pulled out of their asses the article doesn't seem to contain any links to their sources. The one link it does have where it mentions the "new study" is broken and when you click on it, it just goes right back to their own web site. This has all the signs of a click bait news article that isn't actually news at all and is just throwing a bunch of science words at you to make it sound legitimate. If it were actually legitimate it would contain links to sources and actual accurate information instead of clearly made up nonsense.

18. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    You...basically proved my point but okay.

I've provided a study. What have you provided? Off topic discussion.

:rolleyes: 

They were made for kids. Once again, you seem rather ignorant to the level of disrespect that's being tolerated by this generation of children. It's going to come back to haunt us, I guarantee it.

I speak as a parent of children who are actually IN school right this very minute.

I believe this anecdotal evidence is more flimsy than anything else that's been mentioned. Never have my children had to do anything of the sort. That is, at best, a local event if not a single classroom event.

LOL! No. My kids have plenty of free time. My son would rather spend it watching Youtube and Tik Tok videos while listening to Dub Step. My daughter actually invests time into watching pop chorus shows and movies like Glee or High School Musical - but even she gets bored and will bail half way through.

As are you.
    Already gave you evidence.

The goldfish allusion was just that, an allusion. Seriously, I think you're just arguing with me to argue - much like you do with everyone else. Stop derailing the thread and move on.

19. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

That's the problem.

Except it failed to even do that right. There was never any sense of threat or urgency because they spent the entire episode just making dumb jokes that weren't even funny... again except for the bit with the two Grimlocks which is the only time I actually laughed at anything... and that was more of just a chuckle cause it only lasted for 2 seconds before they moved onto the next thing.

Heck there very next "joke" after that didn't even make sense.

Hot Rods: (In unison) Are you our Bumblebee or are you the new Bumblebee?

Bumblebee: Um... I'm not a new Bumblebee.

There's only two Ark crews at this point and there doesn't even appear to be a Bumblebee on the other Ark crew. Being as there's only one Bumblebee the Hot Rods should of already known which crew he belonged to.

It also doesn't make any sense the way they were asking the question. If only one Hot Rod asked "Are you my Bumblebee or his Bumblebee?" pointing at the other Hot Rod then it would have made sense because that Hot Rod might not have known that the other Hot Rod didn't have a Bumblebee. But both of them asking the question together he couldn't be both of their Bumblebee. And even if there was another Bumblebee around neither of them would identify themselves as being the "New" Bumblebee.

The whole thing just comes off as stupid non-sense and this is suppose to be funny? Speaking of stupid non-sense... There is a way to make that funny... You're not going to like it though... Jar Jar Binks! I know a lot of people hate that character but here me out here. A lot of kids movies have similar characters that are just stupid comic relief characters and regardless of what you personally think about him kids actually like him. He's like a cartoon character, kids like him for the same reason they like Looney Toons, Tom and Jerry, and other things like that but none of that is present in here. It's just a lot of clumsily written dialog that makes no sense. There's no physical jokes like there would be with someone like Jar Jar or Bugs Bunny. Their just poorly written and poorly delivered chunks of dialog that neither adults or kids would even understand.

It's like a set up with no punch line... Someone just came up to you and started to tell a joke then just walked away leaving you feeling really confused and empty... like WTF? Was that suppose to be funny?

Knock knock...

Who's there?

But you're telling me it shouldn't make me this angry when you're clearly as angry if not more so than I am otherwise you wouldn't be calling it a "throwaway" cartoon. That's the hypocritical part. I know it's a cartoon intended for young kids. So are all the other cartoons I mentioned that did the exact same story 100 times better. What's your point? Just because it's made for kids doesn't mean it can't be criticized. That's not even an argument.

You mean the Nostalgia Critic is an annoying screech owl. Which is your opinion. I happen to like his reviews. Doug Walker is the actual person and his reviews are more boring and straight forward. If you think the Nostalgia Critic is annoying you might want to check out Doug's Reviews instead. The Nostalgia Critic is a comedic character who is suppose to over the top and "angry" when Doug, the actor doesn't actually care that much. Seriously check out Doug's Reviews, when he's out of character he never does the over the top "screeching owl" bit. I like him I understand if that's not your thing.

WRONG... That's the whole point of entertainment. To be INTERESTING! That's literally the definition of "entertain" it doesn't have to be good, just don't make it boring. Watching the grass grow or paint dry should not be more interesting than a cartoon targeted at children.

Regurgitating stuff from old material is still interesting. Assuming they do something new with it and/or it's targeted at an audience who has no idea that it is old material. Neither of which is the case here. They've done nothing new with the idea and even their target audience has at least 10 other sources of similar stories that are all much better than this.

Which is my point so thank you.

Never? What's this then?

"It is a throwaway cartoon & it is intended for very young kids."

Sure looks like you're using that excuse to me... for the second time... in the same post where you're also claiming to not be saying that.

You realize I'm one of the people who have said that before right? I said it before in previous episodes which I still enjoyed even if I thought they could of done more with them... Especially the flash back showing Megatron's rise to power. There's a lot more potential there but I still enjoyed what we got even if they could of done more with it. That's generally been my feeling with a lot of past episodes is I felt they could of done more with a longer run time but I still enjoyed it for what it was.

That's not the case here however which is why I started a whole new thread for this specific episode. I couldn't even enjoy this for what it was because they didn't do anything with it. I would prefer an extended run time to really play with the idea more but there are ways they could of fixed the episode while staying in the limitations of the shows run time.

For starters limit it to only 2 different Arks instead of 10. This way they have more time to develop characters and show more of their differences.

Move the scene where one of the Ark crews starts disappearing to near the end of the episode rather than in the middle. This way they can show more emotion and give a stronger sense of urgency. It can also leave things more vague as to if that arc crew actually made it out or not if we don't see them entirely disappear in the middle of the episode.

And most importantly... have us... as the audience... come out of Unspace clearly in a different universe than the one we started in. That also adds to the vagueness and mystery of did that other Ark make it back to Cybertron or not? And with the designs looking totally identical we wouldn't even know that we were following a completely different Ark crew for part of the episode until we saw Percerptor in place of Chromia.

The rest of the episode could play out exactly the same way with the same run time and just these small changes would be enough to at least make it interesting. It would still a pretty lack luster episode because of the short run time and there's so many other things I'd rather see done with this idea but those require extending the run time to pull off. This here though... would at least fix the issues with the episode being boring due to all the Ark crews being exactly the same and no one really seeming to care about the danger.

Oh something else to consider here... Hasbro loves repaints... Having a mutiverse story... if anyone had the foresight to recolor the animation models... would give Hasbro another excuse to make repaints of all these characters.

20. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Again no. Nothing is "proof" of your point. You're jumping to conclusions. Do you even understand what proof means?

Actually you're the one who brought up this off topic discussion in the first place and it's not my job to prove or disprove your baseless claims.

Once again, I'm not ignorant of anything and the disrespect you're referring to seems to be oddly specific to YOUR children not an entire generation of children.

Let me make this as clear as possible for you... YOUR KIDS ARE NOT THE BEST EXAMPLES! If YOU have a problem with the level of disrespect that's being tolerated from YOUR children the only person who can do anything about that is YOU!

What I'm getting from your posts is a lazy parent looking for someone or something else you can blame rather than taking responsibility for YOUR OWN KIDS! I was joking with I was talking about the cartoon but I'm not joking about this. If your kids are being disrespectful in class that's your problem and your problem only. The only person who can do anything to fix that is YOU. That's your job as a parent. Do us all a favor, stop complaining about stupid shit that has nothing to do with what you're talking about and actually parent your children.

Maybe... but again you're dealing with just TWO CHILDREN. You do realize that's even more anecdotal and flimsy when you're using just two kids who happen to be your own kids as the entire basis for your argument right?

I've dealt with multiple kids over the course of years from all different neighborhoods, all different backgrounds, going to different schools, ect. You really think your own two kids who more likely attend the same school has more weight to it? You're looking at a much smaller pool than I am.

Again the only person you can blame for the behavioral problems of your kids is YOU. Most parents aren't having this problem, it's specific to YOU and YOUR kids. Stop blaming everyone and everything else for your own problems and go do something about it.

I was thinking the same thing about you. You're the one who came in here and started an off topic political debate that has nothing at all to do with this thread. All seemingly because you're looking to pass the blame for your own lack of parenting than actually take responsibility for your own kids. And I'm not going to entertain this nonsense anymore. You're going straight to ignore after this.

Again passing the blame rather than taking responsibility. YOUR the one one who posted that derailing nonsense in the first place. This is my thread why the fuck would I want to derail my own thread? People like you do this to me all the time, you post off topic nonsense just to piss me off and start arguments then you pass the blame to me for the argument YOU freaking started. You sick bastards derive some sick entertainment out of constantly harassing me like this. It's no wander your kids are so disrespectful to their teachers when this is the example you're setting for them. Again I'm going to ask you to stop blaming Tik Tok or whatever other crap you feel like blaming and actually take a good long look at the way you threat other people and the example you're setting for your kids. Maybe they wouldn't flip off their teachers and all that other crap if you didn't teach them that kind of behavior was acceptable.