The Creation of Drift

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Grimlock_king, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    For this reply, the cy-gar will be referred to as "the thing in his mouth".

Did Kup or the other Autobots ever call the thing in his mouth a cigar? And yes, Kup in issue 12 expressed confusion over General Witwicky referring to the thing in his mouth as a cigar because Kup didn't know what a cigar was.

So, how does this equal Nick Roche not doing his research by referring to the previously nameless thing in his mouth as a cy-gar?

All Hail Megatron issue 15's "Everything in Its Right Place" was part of the "All Hail Megatron Coda" series, created partly to plug in continuity holes and to provide a glimpse into future stories set after AHM.

"Everything in Its Right Place" takes place before AHM, but sometime after Spotlight: Kup. It was written by Nick Roche to address reader concerns about why Kup appeared in AHM, seemingly completely sane and in a new body. This is the story where Kup is given the cy-gar, with the explanation that it helps keep him sane, and that was never mentioned again, if I recall correctly.

You talk (with an attitude of taking offense) about Roche creating explanations not intended by McCarthy, but you have ignored my earlier point: What about McCarthy ignoring the events of Spotlight: Kup?

Unless I am misunderstanding you, I think you misunderstand what shoehorning in means, because you are basically saying "It is part of Transformers because it is Transformers".

One basic meaning of the turn of phrase "to shoehorn", is to force something into a place where it doesn't fit. Beast Wars fits fine into the Generation 1 continuity family.

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    ok I don't mind AHM despite the Fanfic-quality writing and think all the Drift hate is asinine, but I have to LOL at McCarthy seemingly getting all butthurt about Nick Roche expanding on 'his idea'. That's like Henry Ford throwing a shitfit about cars that have air conditioning. "That was never part of it, assholes!"

I agree with most of your post but to be fair, in that Nick Roche Issue I recall Springer asking Prowl why Kup had the 'cy-gar' stuck in his mouth or something to that effect.

3. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

But that was Roche who wrote that. I think Fit For Natalie was referring to within the twelve issues of AHM.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I realize it was Roche, I just assumed he was talking about the Post-AHM stories. Must have misread it :) 

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Next time Roche gets his writing hands on Drift maybe he'll reveal Drift used to be a fembot that made her living buffing gearsticks on the streets for a few energon chips.

Seriously, writers will always build on what other writers have done (or retcon troublesome things out sometimes if it's IDW). McCarthy will also have to realise that if he's going to create the supah megah awsomeah Drift that eventually someone else will get their hands on him and put some of their own take on him. If this small thing with the cy-gar irks him then how will he react when someone else does something with Drift? At least someone like Roche will do it intelligently and somewhere within the established framework. The cy-gar thing was a great idea to explain the new 'Smoking is Awesome, Kids' Kup and fit it back into what Roche had already set up for the character. Perhaps the butthurt is more that McCarthy didn't think of it himself.

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Nope. Any more namecalling in this thread and there will be warnings and/or infractions. Calling people who you disagree with 'twats' is not how we discuss things on this board.

The backpedalling, however, is permitted.

7. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Wasn't this basically the gist of how Drift was created?

[​IMG]

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    That + YouTube - Poochie Rap

9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Same here.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Ridiculous exaggerated trumped-up Drift hate is ridiculously exaggerated and trumped up.

And getting tired too. :) 

Sorry man, but that really sounds like a really weak excuse to justify the Drift hate. "But there was already a japanese street-racing car somewhere in the larger G1 continuity, once... and no Transformer should ever have a Japanese theme!"

Really?

The idea of a new ninja-monk Transformer who turns into an emblematic Japanese car is hardly worth making a big deal about. It's neither the best, nor the worst new TF idea around. Making him a repentant former Decepticon adds another layer of conspicuous drama, but he's still a LONG way from Mary-Sue territory. Seriously guys, get a grip.

And since someone thought to bring up Getaway, I just thought I'd point out that Getaway has probably one of the WORST, most desperately AGGRANDIZING and most absurdly FANWANKY bio of any G1-era TF that I can think of (and that's saying something!).

I wanted to select the best bits, but the whole thing is pretty insane. It must be read to be believed:
    Who's Who in the Transformers Universe
    I don't even know where to start... escape artist, super-armour, brilliant strategist, ultimate tough-guy, legendary coolness under fire, ridiculous story about how badass and smart he is, insane top speed, onboard computer AND he carries a double-barrelled shotgun.

Apparently, he can also walk on water, eat bullets, and shit ice cream. His bio reads like it was written by a 12-year-old with empowerment fantasies and a sugar high. Next to Getaway, Drift's bio looks like the picture of restrained elegance. :lol 

Don't forget cartoon Jetfire. But then, turncoats are interesting entities in a fiction like Transformers, and we rarely get much insight into them. Dinobot is a Beastwars entity, so it's not like he's going to show up in the IDW G1 series... and Carnivac is a Pretender, so I prefer to pretend he doesn't exist. :) 

I don't really have anything against the Cygar (especially now that there's been some exploration of the concept)... but I don't think you can refer to ANIMATED in this instance. Why do the Constructicons have plumbers' cracks? Why does Wheeljack have sideburns? Why does Perceptor wear glasses? In Animated, anything goes, really. :) 

Oh reeeally? Maybe an intelligent person can explain how Drift is a "Wolverine rip-off"

I mean, Cybertron Overhaul is a Wolverine rip-off, sure. But Wolverine is a short, ugly, bestial, rugged, rough-mannered claw-handed berserker redneck, with an indestructible healing knack, a strong disdain for authority figures, and a personality like Clint Eastwood on an HGH bender. I don't see Drift anywhere in that description.

Agreed. Roche's take on the cigar just shows why he's one of the most interesting writers working in Transformers at the moment. He's got brilliant ideas, a great grasp of character, and he makes the effort.

See, this is a perfect example of the way Drift haters are totally full of it, will see what they want to see, and will read "hype" into anything, no matter how innocuous.

"Superawesome-sword" part? I must have missed that. There is no mention of his great powers or phenomenal skillz or anything of the sort. Drift uses swords, and one of them is a relic. There it is. No special powers, no hyperbole, no ridiculous examples of it's cutting power... in fact, in that respect, it barely resembles a TF bio at all! Shouldn't there something about it being able to cut through a solid 10' x 10' steel cube or something? :D 

Honestly, if you take that bio at face value, it's really not all that different than Bluestreak, except with swords instead of guns. Your complaints about the bio are pretty much totally unfounded. :inquisiti 

Hunter is a rapist? Did I miss that, or is that just another hallucinatory exaggeration?

:lol 

Okay, there's a little bit of Poochie in Drift. A tiny bit. :) 

Yeah, geez... I sure hope nobody points out that IMPACTOR was created by (gasp!) a comic book writer!!!

Hmmm... in fact, Impactor is WAAAAAAY more Wolverine than Drift could ever be! He's the tough-as-hell leader of the Autobots most hardcore elite combat unit, who kicks ass and takes names, snarls a lot, does things his OWN damn way, and has a frackin' HARPOON FOR A HAND. Just wait for him to start showing up in every monthly title simultaneously, and start dropping macho catchphrases! :D 

Your hyperbole factor is about a million times more potent than Drift's.

IDW said "We're making a new character. We think he's cool, and you probably will too! We are going to MARKET our NEW CHARACTER. Because that's what comic book companies do."

Apparently that was too much for some of you. If anything, Drift is guilty of being overrated because they hyped him like he was the next big thing, but so far he's only been innocuous and inoffensive, and inspired a kick ass Deluxe class figure. FOR SHAME!!!

Oh, come on. Transformers TOTALLY came from Japan. Sure, it was more like a fusion of Eastern and Western ideas, but it's hardly an unfair summation. Transforming vehicle super-robots? Totally Japanese. There would be no Transformers without Diaclone/Microman... all we did is give them sentience.

Which to be fair is a big part of what makes them different, but still....

Right. Meaning they wanted a flagship character of their own. Hardly a sin, considering the amount of hype that propels the comic book industry constantly.

But yeah... that hype is like... 3 years old now. When are the haters going to let it go, and start judging Drift on his actual presence in the series?

On a related note, I think it's kind of cute how it seems that Drift's whole sect of "warrior monk" TFs is made up of Japanese-exclusive characters. That sort of works thematically. :D 

zmog

11. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sometimes SMOG I have the tendecy to disagree with you, but not care enough to say anything, this time though I don't think you could be anymore right. You summed it up nicely, cheers.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

What?? Sometimes you disagree with me??? And you don't even say anything??

This means WAR!!! :D 

zmog

13. Grimlock_king

Grimlock_king Banned

SMOG thank you. Finally some one else sticks it where it hurts to the Drift haters. Drift's figure is totally freaking awesome, second I love him tell you the truth. He has no guns no missiles and just wants to make right for all the wrongs he did in his past. Yes he is another Decepticon turncaot but what about Blitzwing or Octane? Yes Blitzwing didn't become an Autobot but he was no longer a Decepticon and Octane well he was the Autobot's guest proving he was no longer a Con and now a Autobot. Drift is a new age character like them yes a turncoat but it also gave us what we needed in the series and I thank them for it. Hell look at Nemises Prime he to is a turncoat.

14. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    How dare someone have an opinion. Plus, I don't think SMOG stuck it where it hurt to anyone. He just refuted a few claims.

For the record, I couldn't care less about Drift. My only opinion on him is that his figure looks cool, I'm going to buy it, and I'm going to make up my own personality. Just throwing that out there.

15. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    I can understand the disappointment regarding IDWs [jarring] refocus on the Transformers comic, as I appreciated Simon Furman's broad arc storylines. But I get the impression that some fans entertain the thought of some kind of hostile takeover perpetrated by a villainous Shane McCarthy.

I'm well aware that my tastes aren't always popular. Sometimes its comforting, other times its a nuisance. So I cant fault IDW for attempting to 'shake things up' if there is a legitimate financial risk from a steady decline in sales.

I believe contributor diversity in Transformers media should be celebrated, rather than feared. Not every new writer is going to hit the ground running, though obviously some can, but I'd personally rather it be relatively accessible to new creators than dependent on a few perfect individuals who may eventually tire of the property.

I'm not a big fan of Autobot cars, but I'll definitely have a good look at Drift if I see it.

16. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    A transforming robot concept is, granted, Japanese. Granted, the original toys from which the original Transformers line came from were Japanese.

But everything else about it is American, and was created by Americans, and later, other westerners. In my opinion, Transformers is more than just the concept of transforming robots (given there's a fair number of them in Japan). It's the ideas, the concepts, the characters, the themes, the stories. That's what makes Transformers Transformers.

*FFN SALUTES AN AMERICAN FLAG AND EAGLE*

(just joking :p )

On a side note, this might explain why Japanese writers have a hard time writing good Transformers fiction, at least on the quality level of western Transformers fiction.

17. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

First of all, I never once actually stated that as justification for hating on Drift. I only stated that to point out that McCarthy hadn't done his research properly. My personal reason for hating on Drift was because him getting a toy meant that a slot that could be used for guys like Wheeljack or Jazz was being filled up. For the character himself, I really feel "meh" though I'll probably end up buying his toy.

18. Grimlock_king

Grimlock_king Banned

Why is it when I read this all I could hear in the back ground was the "Team America" anthem. Also that's not true the Japanese episodes were pretty decent I liked them not so much on the head master side as that wasn't the best but yeah.

Jazz has a toy made yes its a very small figure but he has one none the less. Also it means that those others won't be getting them made hell they are trying to add NEW figures from different continuities other wise why would they of put Armada hot shot or Beast Wars Dinobot into the last run? You really have to think before you say things that can be easily contradicted. Also no evidence has EVER been put forward that a jazz or a wheeljack figure would or will be made for the classics series ever!

19. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

To SMOG:

For the "Hunter-is-a-rapist" thing, I was refering to the retcon in AHM 14 where Hunter forces Sunstreaker to become a headmaster (instead of Sunstreaker going "How much worse can it get?" and agreeing), which can easily be a Freudian metaphor for rape.

20. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Could I interest you in a decaf latte? A valium? A vulcan neck pinch? Anything to calm you down.

Geez, dude. Y'know, whatever squirts your grapefruit is FINE, but is there really a point in all these pages upon pages of bluster and name-calling? (Other than, of course, to verbally fellate Shane McCarthy...)