The cost of being a woman.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MpCollector81, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Most of us have daily costs that we just accept as a part of life- but as males we incur much less of the monthly costs that females, especially single females with no shared income.

On top of the daily expectations of budgeting for food, rent, car payments, taxes, pets, hobbies etc. the average woman has many additional costs that men can simply skip through life without.

Off the top of my head:

- Make up (in some jobs it is a requirement, not to mention a cultural expectation, and while some men choose to wear make up its expected of them)
    - Bras (for obvious reasons)
    - Feminine Hygiene Products (more obvious reasons)
    - Razors/Waxing (both personal choice, but sometimes job/cultural expectation)

I doubt there are too many females lurking around here, but perhaps some of the married guys and ladies could chime in with their estimated additional monthly lady expenses. Just being a guy, I estimate I probably save on average $150 to $200 a month not having to buy any of the aforementioned items. On average I spent about $150 a year on shaving supplies- if the expensive Mach 3 razor heads aren't on for some crazy deal- I simply choose not to buy them. I can go months without shaving if I want to.

Sometimes I enjoy a little eyeliner or nail polish if I'm going out on the town, but that's an average of about $30 a year. The last time I bought nailpolish I spent $50 and it lasted me about 8 years. My female friends however seem to have no choice in the matter, and if they go to work or go out lacking anything (styled hair, make up, shaved legs, professional looking nails) they feel as though others see them as unkempt and less attractive.

Even I'm guilty of perpetuating this on some level. Sure I don't go out of my way, and remind my lady friends to shave their legs before they put on that skirt on a lazy Sunday- but the first time I touched the unshaved stubble on a woman something just felt off. As for men? Doesn't matter either way, a hairy beast or a waxed swimmer is fine with me.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. andrewja

andrewja Active Member

Tampons/Pads
    Bras
    Long hair + maintenance
    Razors to shave arm/leg hair

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That's not really the cost of being a woman, that's the cost of having typically feminine interests. I know quite a few girls who don't own any makeup whatsoever, and at least one guy who does. (but like you said, he has it for his job) The girls I do know that make an up freely admit to it being a personal interest, not a 'cultural expectation.' A lot of women like to wear makeup.

The only thing that immediately springs to my apeish man brain is tampons and the like.

I wouldn't count razors/shaving cream as men need that, too. Maintaining facial hair (or lack thereof) is something I personally am festidious about. I also have long hair that's pretty high maintenance.

4. andrewja

andrewja Active Member

Men can easily grow a beard and not be ridiculed. But, once a woman shows a mustache, arm or leg hair, they are teased to oblivion. Almost the same for long hair. There are certain woman, with certain haircuts that get by, but, by-in-large, are expected to have and maintain long hair, when men can spend significantly less to get their hair cut and less maintenance. I know it is more of society expectance, but that's kind of where we are at. If you don't follow those rules, society will reject you.

5. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Well as stated in my original post, yes some of these items are personal choice, however if the majority of men choose to never shave a single hair, they could in fact get by without any outside pressure. Giant beards are even trendy, but maintaining a clean, conditioned hipster beard comes with its own costs.

I would say the majority of women (not just strippers and waitresses) would have a hard time in their place of employ if they weren't hairless and nubile, with a reasonable amount of make up. While some women do love make up, again, there are many employers that outline make up as a job requirement-its just a cultural expectation shared by both men and woman.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    -Living in a power structure where your gender is still striving to achieve true equality in the face of entrenched and insidious social attitudes
    -Statistically lower levels of muscle mass and smaller physical size compared to an average specimen of the other gender
    -The perpetuation of the human species currently relying on offspring gestating within the female body
    -Constantly changing trends of shoes

7. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

My wife doesn't wear a single drop of makeup. Honestly, I've only since her in makeup a couple times since I've known her. It takes her long enough to get ready, but that's just blow-drying, she doesn't use a single hair product either. Of course she shaves and has the feminine productions but I may spend just as much on myself as she does.

I can't go more than about 4 days without shaving, so there's the cream and like somebody else mentioned, those damn Mach 3 blades cost a fortune but I gotta have em, using a single bladed razor is horrible for me. She pays like 10 bucks or even less with a coupon for a haircut at Great Clips, while I have to go the barbershop. No people at Great Clips (in my area) know how to cut a Black person's hair. Barbershop is like 25 bucks, plus you gotta tip em. She insists that our son be taken to the barbershop too, which I pay for 90% of the time, although kids cuts are a bit cheaper. Problem with the barbershop is they take wayyyyyy to damn long, even with an appointment. I ain't got all day to listen to peeps problems and drama up in there.

8. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Happy someone mentioned this.

9. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unless you want a neckbeard, this is just as much of a men's expense.

Apparently we also live shorter lives on average in exchange for a cheaper cost of living, so hooray for that.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  10. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've bought all those things for the wife as gifts or necessities. Not really expenditures when razors and tampons are kinda needed.

I honestly don't mind makeup or bra shopping either. If it makes her feel happy and attractive then I have no problems suggesting what I like.

Also don't care about the guy taboo of picking up tampons. Obviously the cashier WILL REALIZE they aren't for you (hopefully) and more times than not will have sympathy that a dude was willing to pick up a box for his girl in need.
    Honestly guys if you are interested in dating a cashier girl just start buying boxes of tampons, she will probably think you are the sweetest guy ever, and when you get married you will already have a supply built up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

For a guy, I think the expense of having a girlfriend or wife more than makes up for any extra expenses a woman may incur on a monthly basis. :p 

12. Susha

Susha Well-Known Member

I believe men also recieve the same pressure nowadays.
    Movies like hunger games have shown me how men are also very subject to cultural pressue (aka macho culture) so for example gyms and sports are something men feel obliged to do. What i mean is that conan the barbarian could never have been played by Woody Allen. We all recieve pressure now adays to conform to social 'normality', when was the last time u saw a movie whos main hero was a skinny man (it doesnt count if he turns into captain america or mr muscle at the end of the pic)?

Another example the ease with which u can find steroids in gyms is baffling, I can only imagine how bad it is in california where obesity is frowned upon and sitting is the new smoking.... pffff

how all this translates in hobby collection im still not sure

13. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That when a women puts her clothes into the dry cleaning

14. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Well the couple things girls wear fine clothing choices, hair styles, etc.

15. Weezie

Weezie Taking a break, back soon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't wear makeup or jewellery. I try to dress very simply and modestly, at least for everyday occasions. I use razors but those aren't mandatory. The only thing I use that I think I absolutely need is menstrual pads/tampons but the rest are optional. I don't buy expensive soaps or perfumes because I have sensitive skin. I get my hair cut once a year and I cut it short because it's easier to maintain (I have fine hair which knots very easily when it gets long).

Not that expensive for me.

16. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me!

I don't wear makeup at all. Never have, never will, and yes, I am a girl. I hate the way it feels on my skin, having sensory issues and all. I also have noticed that makeup causes acne for me, so I avoid it for that reason too.

I would rather spend my money on things like video games, toys, and model kits of Gundam! :p 

17. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Yes, aside from the heath requirements, much of this stuff is not required but often strongly recommended in western society.

Regardless of the good that has been done to close the gap, it is still very clear that there is much work to be done to achieve true gender equality.

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think this would be something that differs vastly for people (of both sexes) depending on what they personally feel obligated to do. Oftentimes it's a matter of self-perception more than of societal expectation. And sometimes we think society expects something of us when actually it doesn't especially give a crap. If you feel naked without makeup, then that's a cost of being a woman for you but not for the many women who feel just fine without it.

The actual cost of being a woman would more likely come in the form of wages lost to the pay gap or glass ceiling, medical costs related to breast exams and ovarian cysts, and being left to care for children by deadbeat partners. These also will vary between individuals.

19. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

I'm not even sure if this was started by a man or a woman.........

It's totally got to suck to have to buy tampons and makeup. I mean how can one survive.

Try being the one to support the entire family.

Are you the one playing in the septic field when the piss pump shits out?

Did you install the air conditioner/heating system?

Did you fix the car overnight so you can be back at work the next morning?

Are you in charge of the family's finances?

There are a hell of a lot worse things than having to feminine hygiene supplies.

20. Weezie

Weezie Taking a break, back soon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Men have prostate exams. Sounds far more unpleasant. And I'm sure there are plenty of other medical issues they have to pay for that are exclusive to the male sex only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.