The CoronaVirus (COVID-19): How concerned are you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sylent, Feb 28, 2020.

?

COVID-19: How concerned are you?

1. Not at all - Probably won't affect me. Whatever...

74 vote(s)
    25.3%
  2. Mildly - It's delaying the shipment of my Transformers, so I'll keep up with the news.

136 vote(s)
    46.6%
  3. Strongly - I'm stocking up on masks and sanitizer.

68 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. Extremely - Possible Extinction-Level Event. We're all going to die.

14 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

Quite a few dumbasses who are purposely licking and coughing on things out in public.

Like this guy, who recorded himself licking products in a supermarket. He was arrested.
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/man-licked-deodorant-at-walmart-while-saying-coronavirus-cops/

Men and women licking freezer handles and bus hand railings, and a guy who coughed right into a woman's face, after she asked him to stay further away.

Sadly, this is not surprising to me at all. I already know that some assholes purposely contaminate meals in restaurants, and this was before the outbreak.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Subdurmal

Subdurmal Well-Known Member

When they finally get the vaccine it'll become another seasonal shot in the arm just like the flu shot.

Its effecting people with those health issues because of the nature of the virus. My post was to just show that it was not (according to evidence) man made and targeting a specific demograph.

It is very healthy to keep an open mind. I am in the same boat.
    I require evidence to base decisions. The proximity of the lab to the market is like I said compelling. But it doesn't rule out that the possible source was something or someone at the market itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Primus Hates You

Except for the actual scientific evidence that it wasn't engineered in a lab

The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2

Where is actual evidence that points to another conclusion?

• Like Like x 1
  4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I doubt it's manmade, too. But the targeting of a specific demographic is spot on. That's not to say you can't get it if you're younger so much as it is most deadly if you are older with underlying health conditions - which many are.

5. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    I won't even say targeting as it looks like anybody 35 and up is subject to either a pretty bad flu, hospilization, or even death. I just think the younger you are the more factory new your equipment is. You lose lung function as you age. The concern is with the rate this generation, smokes,vapes,and hits the Mary Jane that there going to be a lot more of them at risk especially as time go on.

6. Drangleic

Drangleic Hell devours the indolent

I haven't the slightest clue what the hell they're taking about in that article. Out of my league.

I shouldn't have phrased it as "good evidence." That was a mistake seeing as I know so little about this subject.

Let the facts speak for themselves here. Whatever conclusion they show.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

The virus most likely evolved to survive and propagate in a species that has a suppressed immune response to viral loads and other stressors. Bats are uniquely positioned among mammals in that diseases that would kill other mammals don’t kill bats, because their immune systems don’t respond as strongly to stressors.

So the virus has a tightly-packed population of virus-resistant animals to propagate in, until that one little chance encounter that infects a human. Humans aren’t as resistant to the effects of the virus, because our immune systems go into a more aggressive defense mode, and that response is what leads to illness and death.

It’s not the virus, it’s our own bodies’ response TO that virus, coupled with a secondary feedback loop of additional bacterial infection, and older folks are a lot more likely to have a negative immune response and concurrent comorbidities.

Basically, if you’re younger, you can soak up more damage as your body attacks itself to kill the invading virus, which is why young people fare better overall. Nothing needs to be “engineered” for this to occur - It’s just how viruses and immune responses work.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Let me put it another way.

Group A attacks groups B, C and D. B is mostly unaffected, C has complications but D has a high mortality rate. Therefore A is most effective versus D. Yes, A evolved that way. I'm not disputing that nor supporting the notion that it's manmade. But A has evolved in a way that IS targeting group D most effectively. Not sure why that's being disputed or debated over - the evidence is empirical, especially in Italy.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    It most likely wasn't man made, but at the same time, the Chinese Government didn't exactly do a good job warning everyone else, and their own people (as well as the people of other countries) payed dearly.

• Like Like x 3
  10. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Man, I don't want to ever say violence is the answer, but at the same time if you're doing this kind of shit I can't say you don't deserve the wrath of the mob.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

When Christopher Walken is alone in isolation he knows how to party.

12. Diamondback

Diamondback Bitterly Clinging G1 Micromaster Malcontent

News Credits:
  13. Subdurmal

Unfortunately mobs are anti social distancing

• Like Like x 1
  14. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Then let's do the socially distanced mob, like it's an action movie. We all go up and take our shot at the person one at a time.

15. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    And you know people will take advantage of this. "Get your red hot tickets here! $5 per shot at this pinata! Line forms here! Please stand 6 feet apart please!"

Ok I'm kidding, but yeah I've been reading up on these people "trolling" as it were. One guy in NJ was arrested after coughing on a store employee saying "BTW, I have the coronavirus." I think they were gonna charge him with terrorism.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Subdurmal

Maybe with projectiles. Walking up and striking them is still close contact. ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  17. Diamondback

Diamondback Bitterly Clinging G1 Micromaster Malcontent

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  18. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    My aunt is really paranoid about this. She is so paranoid that she thinks she can catch it if she were talking to someone on the phone.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi closeted shellformer

News Credits:
    I'm concerned I might have to redo my 11th grade.

My school's province this Monday has ordered home learning to continue until Lebaran (mid-May), yet I still haven't gotten a school email agreeing to the extension. I'm supposed to be back on April 6th or something, and I'm not allowed to come because of "safety reasons" according to my parents. In other words not coming on a school day over a long period of time means getting expelled.

I'm pissed at my school's lack of action against the virus. When schools in the province and capital (my school is in a satelite city of the capital, Jakarta) were closing down 2 weeks ago they still made us come on Monday... for a fucking half-day briefing on online learning that could've just been sent through email or shit.

And since they're only relying on fever to screen students despite the fact some patients can have no symptoms at all (Coronavirus symptoms vary widely: Dry cough, sore throat, fever, smell) God knows how many students, teachers, or staff are infected there every 'effing day.

20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is the article people are referring to with regards to COVID19 possibly being engineered in a lab. This article doesn't explicitly say it happened for sure, just that it can't be disproven. The authors think it's possible that the strain occurred naturally over several years, just that it's more likely that it was engineered ironically to form a supervirus so that a vaccine could be made, in the event of a future pandemic. Their theory is that it was leaked on accident due to sloppy handling in a lab in China. However, again, they're not saying for sure this did happen, just that it can't be disproven. This was in January. It does go over COVID19 possibly originating in a colony of bats or pangolins.

Logistical and Technical Exploration into the Origins of the Wuhan Strain of Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Keep in mind, while we are learning more, we still don't know everything for sure. In addition, 1 of the authors allegedly worked for the NSA(and as oft repeated in years past...don't believe everything you read on the internet). I've known about this article but didn't want to post it here. I'm posting it here now since it's been referenced and well, read it for yourself. If anything, hopefully it'll give you an idea of how deadly this thing is and how we should all be taking it seriously, not just for ourselves, but those it may affect around us.

In times like this it's good to cross reference more information to validate it. If you don't think it's a serious issue, think you had symptoms but didn't get tested to confirm, I hope for your sake that your assumptions are right and you weren't asymptomatic. I'd love for this thing to just be a thing we could blow off as not serious. Yet it's not like that, it's a pandemic and more people are dying by the day.

Hopefully the doctors and scientists are making a lot of progress in finding a cure as they work on a vaccine. They are the best people to listen to at this time.

• Like Like x 4