the concept of buying sellng and trading on TFW and other internet message boards..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MoonStreakr, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

News Credits:
    I hope that I am not breaking any rules with this post. That is not my intention. It is simply a thought process I have had several times and I figured that I would reach out to the community for their opinion as the issue has become relevant to me again.

This site, like many others, has a trading forum. Sure. Nothing new. However, it is completely at your own risk..... Is this really okay?

Its like a swap meet with no security guard...its okay to barter, but if someone runs off with your stuff there will be no one to stop him.

It seems morally irresponsible to me for a site to openly host a place where monetary transactions take place, yet basically turn a blind eye to any wrongdoings and take no responsibility or assume any liability.

My solution to this problem is that people should have to register as traders in some way. I feel that there should be a way to hold people accountable for their actions on this site, and others like it.

Thoughts?

2. jay724

jay724 Well-Known Member

I like your idea. I'm all for it.

3. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

Seems like the risk will always be there for those types of transactions. I prefer not to take part, because of that risk. Online stores have guaranteed mark-up, but I would still prefer them everytime over a text only transaction.

4. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow. I actually LOVE that. I don't know how big of a task it'd be to implement it, but if it didn't take a ton more man hours put into changes in the VB code and whatnot, I'd be all for it.

Overall, something does need to be done though in terms of accountability, because I'm starting to believe that people make accounts to just rip people off, get banned, and move on.

However, there has to be buyer-accountability as well. If you flock to pay someone 100 bucks who just joined this month, no feedback, and no pictures even, then honestly, you should be banned too IMO.

5. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

It all kind of reminds me of something like Craigslist to me. How do they do it on there? It's like classifieds, right?

6. MoonStreakr

News Credits:
    Yeah and people have sued the shit out of Craigslist. I'd hate to see that happen to TFW.

7. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Why should the sites take accountability without compensation?

Then in doing so, they've created liability, a need for staffing and monitoring, as well as a whole host of headaches.

Let the buyer beware. At any rate, Paypal is a good enough shield against fraud.

OP stop slamming the site in backhanded ways.

8. MoonStreakr

News Credits:
    Counterpunch, I dont think you understand anything i said. Maybe you dont want to.

9. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I just think your idea is really terrible, and I don't think you have any idea about what it takes to manage a website or how to manage liability.

That's all.

10. MoonStreakr

News Credits:
    I am raising the question of whether or not that they have already done this. Inadvertently or not.

And you do? Im just posing simple questions. Thanks for your opinions.

11. Crystal Convoy

Crystal Convoy Huh? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You want a place where transactions are protected? Here's one: eBay | Electronics, Cars, Clothing, Collectibles and More Online Shopping

Banning people who get ripped off? What the hell kind of thought is that.

12. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    OP - Personally, I really feel that you should be devoting your efforts into recolving your actual issue at hand, rather than spending it making repeated posts about hypotheticals. Even though it seems like you're on the receiving end of a bad transaction rather than the giving, you're not handling this very professionally.

The mods have helped a ton of people with similar situations, and will definitely reprimand the offending party, but at the same time, I can imagine you're not making it any easier with posts/threads that come off (see, I said "come off", which doesn't state or imply your intent) as if you're angry and lashing out at the mods and the board as a whole.

TLDR ver.: Get your shit now. Change the world later.

It was a blatant exaggeration to convey a minimalized thought. It wasn't meant to be taken literally.

13. MoonStreakr

News Credits:
    ok redditor lol

I honestly am not lashing out at this site. However, I see transactions on this site go bad quite frequently and I for one do not enjoy seeing people lose their money and faith in the other board members. The original post is a total generalization open for productive thought provocation. Nothing more.

With an attitude like this
    Nothing will ever change.

14. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the idea of holding people responsible for the shady actions they think are good busniess. Not sure registeing as a trader is the way to b/c (as mentioned) someone could make a false account and still take your money/toys and run for the door all the while all they've done is soil their named they registered to a site they will probabaly never visit again or at least until the next time they want stuff for free.

It would be REALLY difficult to try and do what your talking about Moonstreakr but you've got a great start on making things better for the trading part of the boards. TFW isn't going to take accountablility of the members here anymore then you would of a serial killer about to get out of jail....it's just not going to happen.

15. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ok. If that's how you feel, then I respect your opinion :) . I hope that your current dilemma turns out for the better.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There is no feasible way for a site to "Vet" outside dealers or sellers, as basically at any point even a sponsored vendor could turn around and screw their customers, leaving the site holding the bag. This has actually happened to some degree in the past, though I would prefer not to go into specific examples. The only real way that would be worthwhile for a site to offer "backed" transaction would be to do it themselves, and that carries it's own problems.

Basically, the only way for a site to offer general users to trade among themselves without onerous hoops to jump through is to adopt a laissez faire approach and just say "caveat emptor", washing their hands of any disputes and at most allowing bad feedback. If they even took sides in a dispute, it would likely be an instance of the site staff taking sides with users, and that's something most sites like to avoid.

17. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If TFW can do something to improve security on trading/buying/selling then cool. But to have them be accountable on any level for the voluntarily transactions of members is asking alot. It's clear that any transactions you are involved here or any forum is on your OWN risk. That's common sense. But in case someone doesn't have that common sense understanding then TFW posted warnings in the trade forum. TFW at least has a separate forum for seller/buyer feedback. Not 100% sucker proof but it helps.

18. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't really see any type of policing happening. Things are fine the way they are.

19. MoonStreakr

News Credits:
    Ah the old "it could never happen to me" approach. Go ahead and dig this thread up when, god forbid, someone goes deadbeat on you buddy.

20. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    I was on my way home and thinking about this oddly enough.

I think moreso than the board, paypal itself should have an option where you can elect to have a payment set to "pending". The seller than has to attach a label number to it, and they'll release the funds once the item is listed as delivered on the tracking. Until the tracking number is attached, the buyer can remove the pending payment completely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.