the complete marvel cinematic universe thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Crazy Ramjetty, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Crazy like a Fox

News Credits:
    Did anyone really care about those shows, anyway?

I have absolutely no interest in What If? after how boring the last season was, and I could not give less of a shit about Echo. It isn’t that I don’t mind a deaf protagonist, it’s just that she has no character and I have to wonder if this show won’t just be there to pander to a crowd that won’t give a shit. Happy if it makes deaf people feel represented, though.

Agatha I am of two minds though. I thought she was the best part of WandaVision, I would love to see more of her… but what exactly will the show be exploring? Will it be set in the past? Present? It has a lot of potential and a great lead actress, I’m just worried they are going to make the most boring choices ever with it and squander the potential.

2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I like the What If? stories, but definitely not interested in Echo or even Agatha.

3. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I mean, I’m not deaf or an amputee but I thought she was an interesting character in Hawkeye. I also thought What If was fun. But that’s just me.

All you need is good writing. I didn’t see the point of an Andor series and that turned out great.

4. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    True, but good writing is not particularly common at the moment.

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    And nothing of value was lost. S1 of What If? was a mixed bag and while I like Echo and Agatha as characters they're best left in supporting roles I feel. Sometimes a "breakout" character doesn't need to get their own spotlight separate from others. You can tell their story without making a show centered on them. Marvel falls into that trap too with their comics and is then surprised when sales/profits are down and they have to cancel a bunch of titles.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I don’t think they’re canceling them though. Just spreading the projects out more since the whole phase seems to be shifting thanks to Secret Wars being pushed to 2026.

7. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Tumblr:
    If reports are true, it aint cause of SW, but the mixed reaction to Phase 4, but yeah the fact SW was pushed does help to let these projects to be released in time

8. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:

9. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Agatha was a knee jerk reaction to the song charting on iTunes. Echo… was announced before Hawkeye even came out, I'm guessing they assumed that she was gonna be a big fan favorite but while she doesn’t seem hated I don’t really see many clamoring for her show.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ramberk Magnus

Not directing this specifically at you but folks often go on about "no one was clamoring for this." But what folks don't realize is that these shows don't just need an A-list character, they need A-list talent (in front and behind the camera). I'm sure the popularity of Agatha's song caught Disney's attention, but I would also give a lot of credit to Kathryn Hahn's performance and onscreen charisma. I'm down for that show because of Kathryn. I don't think Disney would have invested in an Agatha show if the lead actor couldn't carry the show.

I mean, look at The Boys-- that show is not being carried by A-List characters. It's the actors and the crew who make that show.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    I agree with this wholey on the case of Katherine Hahn being a great actor who can carry a show. But the girl playing Echo? I’m not sure about her at all, and it isn’t that she’s deaf.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

At 0:057 looks like M.O.D.O.K is actually

Darren Cross

13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    STRANGE ACADEMY Rumored TV Series Will Reportedly Be Key To AVENGERS: SECRET WARS

"Strange Academy, where Dr Strange opens a school for children/young adults to learn magic, is meant to be one of the more important tie-in stories leading into The Kang Dynasty, as it will also tie into multiple aspects of the MCU aside from the supernatural."

A curious rumor. But a magical school in the MCU would be neat to see.

14. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    ugh

• Like Like x 1
  15. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Huh. Not the first comic I thought they'd announce they were adapting next...

• Like Like x 1
  16. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    But the way they've been going lately, I'm not surprised.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    There is also a rumor that Doctor Strange won't be in Strange Academy.

18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The problem with Ecco was they assumed based on the comics that she would be the popular stand out character. But they changed many aspects about her, changed her personality and her profession and had none of the look of the David Mack art such as the iconic hand print across the face.
    The one in the comics was not in a gang and didn’t sell drugs. She was an orphaned little girl who while at an orphanage the teacher thought she was stupid because she was deaf. Then after someone came and played piano for them Maya was able to Ecco his performance and piano playing after only seeing it once. So they figured out she was a prodigy.
    Kingpin found out and feeling bad for killing her father, financed her education and then later became her patron with her performances. She’s like Taskmaster she can replicate any movement or action she’s seen. In the comics she was a famous musician and performer in dance and other techniques. Though Fisk was also secretly teaching her to fight as well. She was also way younger than the show being in late teens very early twenties. Which was why Fisk hadn’t used her against Daredevil before then. And here they substituted Hawkeye for Daredevil and unlike Daredevil he actually killed her father, where as in the comics Kingpin did and lied that it had been Daredevil.
    [​IMG]
    Maya is a professional dancer and performer and the art in the comics had her looking and fighting using those techniques. We saw nothing of that on the show.

So they threw in scenes from the comics in the show, but they changed the character, abilities, and plot so much they didn’t have the same impact as the comic.

They also bet on her being popular before the show came out, which is the opposite of what you should do. You should never bet on how an audience will react. In this case people thought she was okay, but they had changed so much from the comic that she wasn’t the same character and TV audiences didn’t react the same way comic audiences did because of that. If anything they changed her so much they turned her into a stereotype and boring character and lessened her from her comics counterpart.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I mean, I never read it personally, but most people I know that gave it a shot said it was "serviceable" at best. Doesn't seem like an idea you should be banking lots of money and air time on personally.

Yes, that's how you do it. Remove the titular character completely. For fucks sake.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ramberk Magnus

Well, they’re not gonna get Cumberbatch to do a series at a salary he’d want to get (or he’s too busy.) Wong is actually the Sorcerer Supreme in the MCU too. Plus Benedict Wong has shown to be a reliable actor for the franchise.

Would I have preferred Cumberbatch in the series? Yes and if they nab him, I would not complain. But realistically it seems like a long shot and if the series sucks without him, I can just stop watching. I also think Benedict Wong would put all his effort into this if he’s headlining it. (It’s when an artist is hungry that you get their best work.)

• Like Like x 1