The Complete DC Extended Universe Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by bearweezie, Jul 20, 2013.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    A spin-off film of the Amazons of Themyscira is rumored to be in the works.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i really don't care about that....focus on getting the heroes right and get this shared universe off the ground before fluff movies like that.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Wouldn't shock me if that was true, given that they're still developing a Trench spin-off from Aquaman.

Again, I'm pretty sure at this point any future attempt at revitalizing the shared-universe aspect of the DC Extended Universe, such as it is, will be built around the four remnants of it that are still standing at this point: Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Aquaman, and Shazam. If WB ever gets up the gumption to try to do another take on the Justice League, I'm fully expecting it to be a League with Diana and Arthur as its sole returning members; Billy will probably join the team and I wouldn't be surprised if Harley was also with the team for some half-^$$ed plot contrivance of a reason just because Harley Quinn. But again, this would just be WB sticking with what they know (or think) works.

Unfortunately, for that very reason, I also suspect WB will stick with its "Batman doesn't work with other superheroes in the mix, and Superman doesn't seem to work at all" mindsets for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  5. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i really hope he's not bane. it's way past time we had a south american bane....since that's his actual character. not some plant monster or a roided up sean connery on helium.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Banned

I never knew a British/Caribbean mix was South American.

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

You mean Greek/Philippino? Carribean only comes into it as the location of Santa Prisca.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Which means we need someone big and Spanish (ish) to really portray him properly. Frankly, neither of the previous versions were very good. One was a plant monster and the other was one of the blandest actors I've ever seen with a voice changer that made me laugh my ass off. Be nice if they'd actually do a proper take on the character.

• Like Like x 2
  9. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    James Gunn says he was considered for a Superman movie, but he went with the Suicide Squad as they felt more natural for him.

While I think he made the right choice, a Gunn Superman does sound cool IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  11. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  12. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

BvS suffered 3 big flaws that kept it from being a really good movie.

First, the decision to include Doomsday and kill Superman off. Replace Doomsday with Metallo and keep Superman alive for Justice League. There was zero reason to straight up jump into the Doomsday plotline in the 3rd act of his second movie. WB failed to learn the lesson from Green Lantern. Don't throw the ultimate threat against the hero right away.

Second, introducing Wonder Woman. While she was great, this should have been just a Batman/Superman movie. They could have saved her has an end credit scene, then jump to her solo movie. Again, didn't learn the lesson from the GL movie, don't introduce everything at once. Keep it relatively simple: BvS as orchestrated by LL. Act 1, LL encites BM to fight SM. Act 2, BvS. Act, B&S team-up to take down LL.

Third, the theatrical cut of the movie. It completely screwed Luthor's storyline. The extended version actually made his plot make sense. Eisenberg's take on LL wasn't bad. He was way more menacing than Gene Hackman ever was in the Reeves movies. This isn't a comment on acting quality I will note.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  14. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We should remember WB was playing "catching up" to MCU at that time.
    We could only assume if the whole story is an ALL-SNYDER pitch or some parts of it are FRONT OFFICE pitch.
    For a company who felt is in a hurry, they'll likely to "throw everything" on the plate.

And Snyder like Sam Raimi is "obligated to follow" whatever the front office shoves onto them.
    If some parts of the film are indeed "front office pitch".
    Remember when Sony forced Raimi to include Venom in SM3?
    We knew what happened after that right?

The problem with WB is that they don't have Kevin Feige or a person fit to do a "Feige Job".
    They had Geoff Johns. But he's a very busy person in the comics. What happened? the books w/c are on his table got delayed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

They also made a mistake in basing it off the back of MoS, rather than another take on Superman. The version of Superman in MoS makes a lot of sense in the way he felt out of place and spent a lot of time being introspective and mopey over his unique situation. That would have been a good take to see in other films... if those other films hadn't included Batman.

Having one mopey, introspective protagonist is fine. Having two, especially with limited comedic / light relief, makes for a very heavy going film at the best of times. Being in that position when one of the mopey, introspective protagonists is Batman is just asking for trouble since you can't out-mope Batman. It doesn't matter how miserable your story is, he'll just turn around and beat you with 80 years' worth of moping experience.

Superman: My whole planet exploded
    Batman: You remember it happening?
    Superman: No, but...
    Batman: Pft!
    Superman: I Killed the only other survivors of my race... I'm completely alone
    Wonder Woman: I was only created as a weapon
    Cyborg: I was only created as a science project...
    Aquaman: My best friend was served in a Red Lobster last week...
    Flash: At least you had friends...
    Batman: Hold my Bat-beer...

Outside of that - are the current DC films (BoP, WW1984, Shazam 2, Aquaman 2) still considered to be connected as a shared universe, or are they going their separate ways?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    theyre still connected (with the exception of maybe wonder woman as that is a prequel and doesnt include references to bvs or JL), shazam, aquaman and suicide squad all contain direct references to stuff in justice league or bvs

• Like Like x 1
  17. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    I'm new here, what exactly is the current state of the DCEU and why ? It seems all over the place.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  18. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

For me there were 2 things that ruined the movie to me:

The first thing wasting the hearing scene. That was a moment I've been looking for to see how Zack Snyder was going to respond to the criticisms of Man of Steel and hear Superman answering for the destruction and death his battle caused. But instead he threw a bomb at us so we were robbed of that moment.

The second is the cause of battle against Batman. Seeing this was inspired by The Dark Knight Returns, I was expecting to see Batman as some sort of a public menace and the government asking for Superman's help to deal with him for going against the law and I imagined some sort of ethical debate on how they solve crimes and deal with their enemies to show Superman's growth from the clumsy newbie who couldn't protect everyone to a full fledged hero who knows his strength and endangering no one around him. Instead we got Superman who had to hold back and fight for a different reason.

• Like Like x 2
  19. HawaiianBro808

HawaiianBro808 Banned

News Credits:
    Imagine Aquaman 2 trailer using the ocean man song XD

20. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    You used the wrong version.

• Like Like x 1