The Complete DC Extended Universe Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by bearweezie, Jul 20, 2013.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I really have no skin in the game. I’m no Marvel or DC fan boy. I just like good movies.

That said... is anyone truly excited, or even content with Gunn helming the DC side of WB? I’ve seen his Suicide Squad... and, well... that’s a solid “no” from me. The 1st SS was better IMO. #releasetheayerscut

Also... as far as ‘tin foil hat’ theories go... anyone else wonder if Gunn being in charge actually means Kevin Feige is actually in charge?

• Like Like x 1
  2. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wasn't happy when I first heard the news and i'm less excited the more that comes out. I don't like his long drawn out unfunny humor moments that bogged down scenes in Peacemaker and I don't like the added runtime backed by shitty indy music nor do I like everyone, even the guy with two lines, having to be some quirky eccentric weirdo because that's what Gunn is. I think he's an overrated director that hit it big with one really good movie (Guardians 1) and has just been skating by for the most part since with mediocre stuff. I thought his Suicide Squad was garbage and Peacemaker had so much force humor and music interlude padding The Snyder Cut is saying some things shouldn't always make it into the final cut.

The fact he saw Cavill's return and the fanbases overwhelmingly positive response to it as something "his vision" doesn't need is absolutely ridiculous to me.

Now what he actually does could turn my opinion around completely. He could end up doing some really great things. I've been wrong about casting and the direction of things before.

But as of now nothing fills me optimism about this and every decision so far seems like the wrong one.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    No not in the slightest.
    Honestly I feel like we need to hear more cause rn we basically still know nothing other than new universe.
    It sucks but at the same time I want to see what the plans he and Safran have planned. It wasn't anything spitful or angry just not fitting into their plans. Also just for one it seems like someone has a long term plan and wants to stick with it. Which is a thing that kinda killed the DCEU the first time and that it's not the studio's decision it's the guy who's gonna be in charge of it all that is calling the shots.

I will say Gunn gets points from me instantly for just clearing any of those bs clickbait articles and also just being direct out of the gate with saying Cavil is out instead of endless speculation for a whole month.

As a big Snyderverse fan (MOS and ZSJL are freaking goated IMO) and a DCEU fan I look forward to the new direction.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Spaceman1251

Spaceman1251 Legendary Warrior

Instagram:
    To me their 10 year plan is a joke. And the way Gunn is just losing more and more money for them everyday, killing the momentum for their future releases that they’ve already spent tons of money on, it just comes off as selfish and full of himself. Especially how when Cavill announced the sad news, the very next morning Gunn posts that pic with the headline “James Gunn is writing a Superman movie.” With his “Yep” caption. Like “nobody has to worry anymore, because I’M here!”
    And now he’s backtracking, trying to keep the actors in the upcoming movies happy by acting like they’re still safe, just wait til after the movies release. He’s just trying to get the fans money back involved in the 3 upcoming movies, after he killed most people’s interest in them last week.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    I don't what's a "joke" about having a plan?

It's what Marvel had and what DC originally had before they got scared after the reactions to BvS

6. Spaceman1251

Spaceman1251 Legendary Warrior

Instagram:
    It’s not even worth responding if you’re going to change your whole response.

7. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    It was because I was debating whether it was even worth responding to all the points.

Basically, I don't see how Gunn is losing any money when the money hasn't truly been spent yet on the new universe along with him being "selfish". I'll say I think it was very honorable to talk to Cavil before the news came out instead of him finding out when all the trades say it. And the momentum wasn't really there much for the universe due to the fact that we don't yet know anything about the universe (characters, plots, story) other than were starting new. It'll pick up as we go along.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    He's potentially losing money for DC because he is killing people's interest in seeing the 3 movies that are currently filmed and yet to be released.

9. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    True tbh I’d say two movies cause The Flash had that potential before this.

That being said at the same time if they’re good movies and marketing is well then they’ll have the audience that they want. I think Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle at least could do good due to smaller budget than $200 and feedback.

Blue Beetle I could see being apart of this new DCU. But we shall see.

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well, you have to break some eggs to make an omelet. Hopefully whatever comes from this is worth losing the actors they're letting go. Personally I think a hard reboot is the best option at this point though. The DCEU in it's current form doesn't feel salvageable. That said I do hope Gunn's stuff doesn't get special treatment and needs to be axed as well. Otherwise, it'll become obvious that this isn't about him making the best decisions for the franchise, but about stroking his own ego.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Agreed on Blue Beetle, I wasn't even really counting that one. Mostly thinking about Shazam, Aquaman and Flash since they're all explicitly part of the now defunct DCEU

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fenrys

News Credits:
    I agree that at this point a reboot is for the best, but this was probably handled in the worst way possible. Having Henry Cavil announce his return only to backpedal a month later is just all kinds of shiesty and if Gunn's stuff gets to stay then I might legitimately be done with DC movies at the theater for the next 10 years.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    Yeah, in order to build a new foundation for a new building (that is also hopefully more successful than the one that was previously there) you got to tear down the one that's there.
    100% and also worth starting from scratch.
    As much as I'd love Peacemaker to stay and maybe elements of it could I hope that is true and he axes some of his stuff as well. So that it's not just the Snyder stuff that goes and the Gunn stuff stays or Shazam stays even. I could see certain actors from Shazam or Peacemaker or TSS staying but stuff needs to be retconned or axed as well in order for it all to be fair I guess.
    True and hopefully they are marketed well and I think they can still succeed if they are received well.
    I wouldn't be done BUT it would definitely be a big scummy in a sense. I do agree that was definitely a case of terrible timing. And I'll be honest the news would not have hurt as much if he didn't show up in Black Adam and made that post.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Based on some of what I've read about things happening behind the scenes make it appear as though Gunn and Safron weren't aware of the decision to have Cavill announce his return until it happened. Seems like a decision made by Zaslav or someone else since I've seen insiders say it was Johnson trying to take control of a section of the DCEU to force the stories he wanted told with Black Adam, etc. Doesn't seem like Gunn and Safron had anything to do with it when it happened.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    Agreed and it does make total sense to just a clean slate. I like the DCEU. But even I’ll admit the universe hasn’t truly lived to the potential that it could (it could be a universe that is even better than the MCU with its rich characters and stories), the main problem is while I like the Snyder side of things, a great many don’t. And the DCEU has been caring that baggage for a whole, unable to shake it off no matter if they change the tone or direction of stories for the universe.

So from their side of things, a fresh start is as much as it hurts the best course of action. Allowing them to be free from it and start fresh. Building their universe up the proper way with someone who is a fan of the material at the helm and has done superhero stuff to guide DC into its new chapter.

Just this time WB, stick to your plan and don’t get scared when something might not be the hit or huge positive reception like you hoped like with BVS.
    That makes sense to me, cause the return got announced like a week before Gunn and Safron were announced. And your correct it was mostly a Dwayne Johnson thing as a attempt to have a DCEU or a section of it that revolves around Black Adam if it did good. And well we know how that turned out.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Oh I won't be done entirely, but I won't be giving them theater money to see their movies. At best it'll be rental, purchase if it's good, and that's if Gunn keeps his DC stuff in the new universe but axes everything else. The timing was definitely poor, but again, WB straight up told Henry Cavil to make the post about him returning to the Superman role.

Definitely possible that it was a case of too many cooks/left hand not knowing what the right was doing, but the timing of it all was just super scummy to me. At the same time, Cavil announced his return days before Gunn and Safran even got hired to be the DC Studios leads, and definitely prior to them developing their 10 year plan. So I find the idea that they didn't know about Cavil's return to be questionable. They would have had to have had their heads in the sand to not know about that announcement.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    Makes sense to me (some casting can stay but stuff in those projects gotta be axed as well) and yeah that was something that aged so poorly so fast, unfortunately. Very bad timing.

18. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'm saying they knew when everyone else knew and it wasn't a decision they were involved in as they weren't in charge yet. Anything else in regards to Gunn/Safron and Cavill announcing his return is irrelevant. If you want to toss blame at someone throw it at Zaslav for letting it happen knowing he was hiring new creatives to be in charge of the DCEUs future which would likely lead to big shake ups. Or Johnson for using Cavill as a power move/bargaining chip to try to have his own special little corner of the DCEU.

• Like Like x 2
  19. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    Yeah and on the BA thing, now if Johnson didn’t do that I guarantee you this news would not be as negative as it is.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Agreed.

• Like Like x 1