The Combiner Wars: The Darkest Hour Episode 7 Spoiler

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by WilyMech, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "We cannot just abandon Cybertron." No? Why not? The vast populace did.
    I bet Windblade has absorbed the power cosmic and will return next episode more powerful than you could possibly imagine.
    I still don't really know what this story is supposed to be about. What a mess.

Haha Oh yeah, Starscream screaming. :lol 

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

I was going to hold off on a big critique until after the series ends, but I think at this point it's clear that the show is not going to improve in its final chapter.

Shoddy animation, awkward dialogue, unexplained plot points, and questionable voice direction aside, my biggest issue with Combiner Wars is that it one of the most unoriginal pieces of Transformers media ever produced. It brings nothing new to the table, piggybacking off of ideas and concepts that have already done, and instead of presenting new takes it merely regurgitates a watered-down, half finished facsimile of what came before (specifically, of course, the IDW comics).

Concept: post-war Cybertron led by Starscream. In IDW, Starscream has no intention of restarting a war or inciting any conflict; he's already won, so his only concern is to hold onto power through political manipulation. He's still an antagonist and an asshole, but his motivations are a bit more complex as he struggles with the idea of holding onto power by actually being a good leader. Combiner Wars takes the concept and spins it in an incredibly unimaginative direction, with Starscream's new position as just another scheme to... I don't even know. His motivations seemed to just be "wants more power," though it's not said why he wants this power or what his intentions are. (Also, the idea of Starscream gaining some power of combination was done before in Deviations, and even it went with a slightly more logical approach of having him actually be a combiner.)

How could it have been done better? The complexities of IDW Starscream obviously could not translate well to a 40-minute feature, so having Starscream become the antagonist is probably unavoidable. Starscream can still make another power grab, but for the love of god give him some interesting motivation for doing it. Maybe he really does care about Cybertron, and he feels that the Enigma will make Cybertron safer, and he's the only one who can be trusted with the power? Or you could subtly imply that Starscream is up to something, only for the twist to be that his intentions were good all along and the Mistress of Flame is the real bad guy?

Concept: Optimus and Megatron are exiled in post-war. In IDW, Optimus gives up his title and willingly exiles himself from the planet, and goes on a bit of a character journey before returning. In Combiner Wars, Optimus is exiled... but he's still just sort of there. His connection with Computron implies that some Autobots still follow him, but who, how, and why? Megatron is even more frustrating, given his excellent arc in IDW that dealt with his personal quest for redemption. Here, Megatron is exiled... by just kind of hanging out in an arena freely sparring with the Constructicons, with no indication that he's being monitored or kept in check. His behavior implies that he's moved past the war in some way, but again, how and why is he where he is?

How could it have been better? For Optimus, if he has to remain in the picture for the series, why not have him officially exiled, but he remains on Cybertron in secret, silently watching over Cybertron under the radar of the Council? This way you can stick with the exile story, but explain why he is where he is (and showing that Optimus doesn't trust the Council, and still feels a need to remain on Cybertron even in peacetime). For Megatron, you could go more IDW and show him as a truly reformed and remorseful figure (contrasting a still-evil Starscream) who has willingly exiled himself and his followers. Alternatively, you could still have crazy asshole Megatron, but he's locked up in a prison by the Council, and you can have a fun episode where Optimus and Windblade break him out of prison (rather than "let's fight for a bit and okay I'm in"). Either of those would better explain the character and the setting, and I think would still be feasible in the show's medium and budget.

There are some other concepts, like the Enigma of Combination, which is somehow an even worse ridiculous plot device here than it is in the comic. At least in the comics, the Enigma's power is to, quite simply (at least for a while), create combiners. Here it apparently also controls combiners, and is also just a generic power-up. The lack of clarity surrounding the Enigma makes everyone's obsession with it even more muddled. Why are combiners so special? What did Devastator mean when he said they had him torn apart? What was that voice Windblade heard? Was it Metroplex? Who the fuck is Victorion and where did she come from? Who knows? I don't even think the writers do!

Hell, what if the plot was focused on the combiners themselves rebelling against the Autobots and Decepticons to get the Enigma so they couldn't be controlled anymore, causing a conflict that would actually fit the description of Combiner Wars? Wouldn't that be something new and interesting to justify the existence of this already-questionably-timed miniseries?

Unfortunately, we get screaming cat Starscream monster instead. I guess that's life.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Okay, okay okay okay, okay okay okay.

So the Enigma of Combination does that to someone. That's what it does, obviously. It makes sense. It makes complete sense. They didn't know what the Enigma did, and that's what it does. It is succinct, and clear, and makes plenty of sense.

This is the worst Transformers show to ever exist.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Bravemaximike

Bravemaximike Road Warrior

I agree with all this.

I mean, how do you screw up something as cool as combiners?
    And even at the end of last episode, I thought, huh, a giant Starscream made of combiners??? Kinda cool, lets see where this goes.....

And it nose dives into THIS???
    How? Seriously how??? This shouldn't be that hard to make awesome and fun, Machinima!!!

5. Bravemaximike

Bravemaximike Road Warrior

The 4th episode, the first one with Megatron, that was a fun and cool episode.
    It was even written decently. Acted well, added some insight and background and remembered to have fun.
    But everything else so far..... Man. :( 

6. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Again "International viewers" CANNOT view the video at YouTube. " Some International viewers" can view the video at YouTube. People in Japan, for example, cannot, and have no other outlets to do so, unless they search Google for an unofficial YouTube video downloader/streamer.

I really wish TFW2005 would modify its language. Just one extra word ("some "), would clear this all up.

7. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

This has to be some kind of record. Five pages into the thread and we all agree. Unanimous agreement is unprecedented.

8. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    I remember reading an article stating that people in China watch it on soku.com

9. 2Sixshot

2Sixshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its funny people here are acting like they can do better but yet I dont see people trying

10. HotTruck469

HotTruck469 Banned

I've watched every episode of this....thing.
    Worst transformers show ever.
    The art is not bad.
    It's the story... Or lack thereof.
    Hasbro could have and should have had a show out in time to promote the toys on the shelf.
    Let fans do the story.
    WTF is this drek?

11. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There was an attempt?

You have a fun idea like: 'Lets make a combiner of combiners That starscream controls!' and then 'It's a blob of absolutely nothing!'

12. Stryyder

Stryyder Just another soldier

The largest rebuff I've faced when offering criticism on this show was "Well, don't judge it by the 5 minute snippets. It should probably be viewed as a 40 minute 'mini movie' or episode." We've hit the point that this is just completely nonsensical.

Ok, here we go, a bit of "Swerve's unofficial guide to Earth television". A normal TV episode or narrative like this should follow a general progression. Enter characters, intro characters, introduce conflict, engage conflict, resolve conflict, cap off with moral message and/or lead in to next adventure. This IS possible with 5 minute episodes. it really is. but you have to pace it correctly. So far this series has been: introduce characters, character conflict, introduce more characters, different conflict, move characters to bring in one more character, bring all characters together for some reason, introduce BIGGER conflict without really resolving previous conflicts, resolve bigger conflict in nonsensical way.

There's no real flow to the narrative, whether viewed in 5 minute increments or as a whole. There's barely a cast (6 main bots, plus 4 combiners that show up at inexplicable times, and 2-3 constructicons that beeped...for some reason).

Here's the point: Things cost money. Character models, animation, voice acting, foley(sound effects), backgrounds, rendering, editing, etc etc etc. There are so many cut corners here. No background cast, no voices for the 2-3 possible background cast outside of their combined form, 5 minute length, generic lip flap for dialog, and the list goes on.

I don't really blame Machinima for this. I kind of blame them for the poor story and horrible script, but for everything else, I blame Hasbro for not funding this project properly. You give a small studio MINIMAL funding, put them on a no-name streaming network (go90? really?) and just leave them to their own devices because you're too busy making cel-shaded pastels and 1-step transformer toys for the kiddies. Not sure if it's just my store, but have you ever noticed the shelves full of 1-steps, and mashers and boring brightly colored bots as opposed to the empty pegs with price tags that read "Titans return", "Generations" and "Masterpiece"? You have an audience here. an audience that is willing to give you our hard-earned money-bills in return for proper entertainment. The proof is sitting on my passenger seat wrapped in a steel-book and in my curio cabinet and on my shelves at home. What more do you want from us before you take a legitimate chance?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Darkest Hour of the Combiner Wars - or at least five minutes of it.

And I was so looking forward to seeing the Ultimate Ultimate Combiner on TV. Starscream really like cosplaying as Giant-Man, doesn't he?

14. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Underbase Starscream coulda been cool, but he opted for JRPG Final Boss instead.

15. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    IDK... I just bit the bullet and bought HeadMasters off Amazon and watched the first disc and...............................(Sigh)

The Decepticons were like Team Rocket way before Pokemon did it. I mean it had Wheelie beating up a Predacon...A PREDACON!!!

16. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

i think the only thing i have liked so far is snarky oldman megs

17. Flaming Matrix

Flaming Matrix Murder claw master

ARE YOU A CHILD?! I hate seeing this "I'd like to see you do better" argument. IT'S IDIOTIC AND NONSENSICAL. If a switch is supposed to turn on a light but it doesn't, did the electrician do a shitty job? NOPE, because I don't know how to make a switch turn a light on. If a chef makes a dish, and it's inedibly undercooked, did he fail? NOPE, because I don't know how to prepare that dish. If I buy a Transformer, and it falls apart the moment I transform it, was that toy poorly made? NOPE, because I sure as hell don't know how to make a toy!

DO YOU SEE WHAT I'M SAYING?! Does any of that make any sense to you? And another thing, have you ever criticized something before? Of course you have, but have always attempted to do something better than what you're about criticize beforehand? I doubt it, unless you're some kind of magical jack of all trades.

• Like Like x 8
  18. Chronix

Chronix Well-Known Member

I like Megatron the more I see him. Which sadly isn't long, because the 'episodes' are only 5 minutes long.

So the next episode is the finale, I wonder if we'll ever actually see some Combiners show up?

19. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So the Enigma is ultimate knowledge? It's basically The Prize from Highlander?
    Who's willing to bet that Windblade is just in "status lock"?

20. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Blessing in disguise?

Plus, to paraphrase Ian Malcolm, "This Combiners show is going to have... Combiners...right?"