The Chosen Prime - customer service/replacement issue

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hellbot, Jul 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jxb1105

jxb1105 Well-Known Member

3P figures are always a hit or a miss in terms of QC issues. Some 3P companies have the resources to immediately send out replacement parts since they have the capacity to do so. In this case, it's Generation Toy. They have been quiet lately (still waiting on them to release their Hotspot) so it's literally a waiting game and in some instance, if the figure is quite old, chances are you will never see replacement parts unless they decide to reissue the figure. Just gotta be mindful when purchasing old figures and who you're purchasing it from.

I have come to terms with this as not every 3P figure that I purchase will be perfect. Lately, my problem has been with Takara and Hasbro and their QC issues. I don't mind the wait as my last instance was 6+ months from XTB to send out some replacement parts while Fanshobby churned out a whole half of armada prime in less than a month and both are pretty much the top dawgs of 3P companies.

I don't fault the online retailers because they are just a hub for distributing the products. I've never had any problems with TCP or TFS when it comes to figures coming with broken or missing parts. TFS, however made me to send in my figures so they can repair it themselves with shipping fees on them. TCP just pools the replacement parts in my stash to be delivered on my next order.

2. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My early experiences with BBTS (think back before 3P companies were making figures, so way back) was that they had outstanding customer service. It built real loyalty in me for a long time.

I've had mixed and negative results from customer service issues more recently- although I think all instances involved 3P companies (and I've noticed more recently that BBTS has really scaled back how much 3P they cary- maybe this is why). I certainly haven't stopped using BBTS, but my loyalty is gone along with my belief that I'll be fine if I have a problem.

With any of these companies you have to be prepared to be persistent, and know that sometimes you will be frustrated at the results.

These days I use Chosen Prime as much or more than anybody else, but the biggest factor is the combination of them carrying a wider assortment of 3P and them frequently getting stock in before any other US seller (at least one of the first). I have had frustrating customer service with them as well, but it also involved a 3P product and I've come to believe that where 3P is involved, often the 3P is at least as big a part of the issue as the company we buy from.

3. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

I believe my first order from BBTS was the “Cybertron defense” Hotshot and Red Alert from the Takara line (back when figures came out in Japan before the USA) and the black/orange Jet Noizemaze (Sideways in the US)

Good times and good service.

I feel old

• Like Like x 1
  4. paparazz0

paparazz0 Well-Known Member

BBTS is still kicking ass at customer service for other stuff outside of 3P like import figures: Figuarts, Mafex etc

• Like Like x 1
  5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly? After all that, I can't fault you for not wanting to use their services again. Waiting for a resolution from them is torture, really. Months and months of waiting. And I get what Brandon (the owner) is saying, that they're a small retailer, and so on but... They're a business directly selling products to consumers. While I understand Amazon, Meijer, Target, and Walmart all have buying power and insane resources, it's still not okay for them to turn down a return because they sold you a defective item. Heck, they'll give you store credit even if you don't have a receipt. Point is, size matters not. If a company/store is taking a customer's money, then it's up to that retailer to make it right by the customer even if they have to take from their own stock NOW, while waiting on the manufacturer to make it right to them LATER.

I'm not going to excuse TCP for this in the slightest. I've waited for a part from them and it sucked. Toy Dojo helped me with a part, twice. One time I had did have to wait, but that was because they were waiting on Takara-Tomy to send it and just as you'd expect, TT came through and TD sent it to me with quickness. The other time, they sent me an entire figure to replace one broken part. (I, of course, sent back the broken one so they could work with the manufacturer.) That's how you do customer service.

Heck, even Hasbro could learn a thing or two from their own retail partners...

I might've missed it, but last I checked, he didn't really get much of a resolution out of the situation. Just a PM from Brandon. (I mean, it could've ended positively, but I don't know.)
    Calling them is a mixed bag. "We don't ship on weekends" was the "resolution" to one of my calls years ago. It was a much better experience PMing them via Messenger on FB. =\

I fault the retailer and the manufacturer to a point. I do get where you're coming from and your point is valid, I've been there. That said, a customer has rights and a retailer has to abide by those rights. You might have to fight to get proper service sometimes, but in the end, you're in the right simply because you're a consumer who received a defective product. It's not your fault that TCP (or any retailer) received a broken or incomplete item. It's not even the fault of the manufacturer, but that of the factory. (To be fair, though. The workers are basically slaves in that 996 thing.) Point is, it's on TCP to make it right and deal with the people behind the scenes later. Why else would you, I, or anyone else return to them if this remains the norm? (I know what you're going to say to that question. It was more about making a point rather than hearing you say yes. I get why you like them, I'm just saying.)

I've been burned by retailers in person, before, and I never stepped foot inside again, nor did I even drive onto the parking lot. You burn me bad enough, I'm flat out done with you. Now, imagine how many customers have had that experience. In time, it'll kill a business. That's on them to make sure that doesn't happen. And if the product/company they're selling is so bad they've become synonymous/notorious for bad QC/CS... (Y'know, XTB/KFC/AA) then perhaps it's time to stop selling those products. (Yes, that even includes Has/Tak stuff.)

I agree that the company is a big part of the problem. I don't think retailers should have to be stuck with a bunch of junk all over the place due to constant defective items, BUT... If they chose to get into this business, they chose to take that chance. It takes money to make money and sometimes you lose it along the way. Such is life and business. If customers have to wait half a year or more because the retailer won't make it right due to waiting on the manufacturer to get back to them, those customers will run, not walk, away and never come back if it's bad, and pricy, enough.

Gosh, you feel old? My first order with them was during the late, late 90's Takara-Tomy reissues of God Ginrai and God Bomber. Heck, I bought a ton of Car Robots from them. That's old, man. OOOOLLLDD.

Oh, I don't know. They seem to do a pretty good job with 3P customer service as well. Heck, I bought Fans Hobby Minerva from another poster here, at a discount, because it was missing a window from the factory. Instead of replacing the window, they let the poster keep that one and sent a whole brand new one to replace it. (FH CS sold me a replacement window and got it to me in like 12 days. Excellent CS from them. It would've been free had I been the original owner, but heck, they didn't even have to do that for me and they did it anyway.)

You'd never, ever see that from TCP.

And people, y'all tend to forget something. There are business insurances and tax write-offs and things of that nature. No, I'm not saying TCP does that or that they can, I'm not assuming, and I won't declare it because I genuinely don't know. BUT there are plenty of businesses in the same boat as they are who can indeed use things of that nature to handwave away the costs incurred of a botched product and help the customer while they wait for the manufacturer to make it right. (AGAIN, not saying TCP does or can.)

At the end of the day, it's on the retailer to make it right by the consumer. If the company does, great. If they don't, oh well, because it's still on the retailer to make it right. Did they know it was defective? Of course not, but my gosh, sitting for upwards of a half a year or even a year for a replacement part? That's insanity. Even credit card companies will back you and say "Nah, we're gonna do this chargeback. Either make it right or you're coughin' up the money."

I'm not trying to villainize TCP, either. It's a family-owned, operated, founded business that employs local people in their location and that's nothing to sneer at or mock. It's to be celebrated. They're nice people. BUT...they need to incur the costs and deal with the fallout. The customer should never have to unless it was something they did. Period.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Dpuff

Dpuff Please be polite to the site sponsors

News Credits:
    Thats why i said "maybe try" and "seemed like". I dont know that he did get a resolution(ud think op would have posted that one way or the other since he took the time to start a thread about his woes) hence the choice of wording but it would be something I would try. So i mentioned it;) 

Im glad you had a pleasant experience by PMing them. Apparently email didnt work so i recommended what i would do in his situation. Seems like you could have just done the same about pming them thru fb. That option doesnt occur to me anymore than using twitter bc i have no use for either app and have no accts with them. Mixed bags and all that hoo ha;) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. TransformerFanatic

TransformerFanatic When a spark goes online, there is great joy...

Am I allowed to post the TCP CS logs that I have here?

TCP sent me a defective MB-01. The main body assembly is not fully screwed together. I have no access to the screws as they are buried deep within the body assembly as far as I can tell.

TCP has said that they will ask the manufacturer for parts. I have told them that my figure is misassembled and that parts will not help me. They told me that in that case I could pay for shipping both ways (since I used free shipping) and a 10% restocking fee. That would amount to about 40-60% of the figure depending on what they decide to charge me for my "free shipping" on the way out.

These guys are using ebay scammer tactics on me. They take a week or more to respond to each request. They're adding on hidden fees to return defective products. I really want to post the logs. I've never had such a horrid experience.

I am so angry and I could say so much about these people. At the end of the day though, all that matters are that TCP are essentially SCAMMERS.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

We (my wife mainly) ordered my Stratotanker from TCP which was a floppy mess, didn't really get anywhere fast on it and felt like it wasn't going anywhere.

I gave up and went to buy another one from my regular vendor Toy Dojo who had just gotten them in (I was under the impression they weren't going to order it for their stock originally or we would have used them the first time). Was talking to Eddie and he talked me out of buying another from him and took care of it for me from his end, even though I didn't buy it from him.

Pretty night and day.

• Like Like x 7
  9. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

yeah Eddie is the absolute best. while TCP really aint much other than a long list of excuses after excuses.

• Like Like x 3
  10. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

I have never had a problem with TCP. However, hearing (reading) all these complaints is a bit disheartening. I don't buy much from them anymore TBH, so that's probably why I haven't had many problems (duh).

I have my two remaining seekers with them paid for (TT ex). Makes me wonder if I should be worried here. This is seriously not a good look.

Has any of you tried to call your CC company directly? Sure, a very "I'm all out of options" resort, but that usually tends to make retailers wake up. Sure they'll likely ban you but such is life.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am so sorry you're going through this right now. Wow. I am so, so sorry. Fees? LOLWHUT?

These two posts pretty much say it all.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dpuff

Dpuff Please be polite to the site sponsors

News Credits:
    Only cs problems I've had with anyone was bbts. The tt grapple i got from them was missing his grapple. I emailed them, they took awhile to get back but finally said id have to send the whole thing back. I called to clarify why and was basically given a weird explanation about having to send the defects back or destroying them(cant remember which bc i didnt believe what he was saying) so they cant just send me a new part it had to be a swap for the whole thing. It was gonna cost me return shipping too til i talked to them a bit more about it and they credited it back to me(in store credit but i took it). While that wasnt the most pleasant experience overall BBTS, Tcp, showz, terrys, toydojo, baba, bombusbee, and even tfsource have treated me pretty well on the customer service end. I have noticed none of them get back to me very quickly. And often i have to send multiple messages or make a phone call or two.

I would like to clarify that my experience doesnt forgo any negative experiences anyone else may have had. Im just sharing mine:) 

• Like Like x 3
  13. TransformerFanatic

TransformerFanatic When a spark goes online, there is great joy...

I paid with debit. I'll probably call my bank and see what they say anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  14. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Never do this. None of you. Never do this. Ever.

Sorry to read about your experience with them. That utterly sucks.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chosen Prime

Chosen Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey Guys,

First things first, the way to report Quality Control issues is through our website, CONTACT US PAGE (Select the Quality Control Department). Please, please do that, rather than send me a PM, FB Message, Text Message etc. If you saw what my direct contact messages looked like on a daily basis you would understand why those might get missed for follow up. I try to remember everything, but as must contact as we get on a daily basis, it is nearly impossible to keep up with it all, but if there is a case on the website, it is easy to keep eyes on.

Secondly, when you reply to a case, you must log into your account to do so, do not hit reply on the email because we will NOT get it. We see this happen from time to time and people wonder why we don't respond. Please make sure you are logging in to respond to the case.

Lastly, to get to some more specific issues, if you have an outstanding QC matter, I will give you some insight into how this is handled. These issues are logged on a spreadsheet and sent to the manufacturer/supplier weekly. We follow up weekly after that until the parts are received. We are not sitting on our thumbs waiting for something to happen here. We actively agitate the manufacturers to fill these and for the most part they do. However, without fail, we see the wrong parts sent, or a case missed for one reason or another steadily. Likely because most of these companies are much smaller than they appear on the surface, which means fewer resources to spread around. The next part is shipping, parts are not sent the day we request them, they are either sent with our next order of their product or as a small parcel through China Post (Currently running anywhere from 10-60 days, YES 10-60). Which is obviously, totally beyond our control.

And to answer the question that is likely to come of "Why can't you just refund me or send me the part from your stock?" - We plainly state our policy on replacement parts here. The reason we cannot do that is because ultimately, though very few admit this to be the case, customers break these figures and we understand that, we want to help with that, but it is not our responsibility. However, we always try to help if possible. We know there are also plenty of cases, especially with some manufacturers that there are issues right of the box, but often times these issues are wide spread and simply opening and parting out one copy is not going to do the job, when it does, that's what we do! But, when it is not, we do not get any kind of reimbursement from the manufacturer for this, we don't get anything in return for them making a mistake, but a replacement part and that is on their schedule and as they see fit. Often times, we just are simply told "No Parts Available" or flat out ignored. The time and money spent on this from our side is a complete loss and simple cost of doing business, which we have to try to manage as best we see fit.

I hope this helps you guys by adding some insight into our process and to let you know you are NOT being ignored or just cast aside, we value each and every customer we have and appreciate you all.

Thank You,
    Brandon

• Like Like x 4
  16. Hellbot

Hellbot Well-Known Member

I didn't want to continue bumping the thread if the matter was going to be resolved. I wanted to give them more time before posting anything else. However, since the discussion has been bumped I may as well post an update.

After speaking with Brandon via PM, it looked like progress was finally being made. They reached out to Generation Toy and finally got them to respond. Why it was easier to get a reply from them now and not back in March is anyone's guess. Anyway, a simple picture from GT demonstrating a potential solution fixed half my problems. I was grateful for that. It should not have taken so long but I appreciated it either way. The other half of my original QC issue was never mentioned though. Not from GT or TCP. So I reply back inquiring about it. Roughly two weeks go by without a response. I have to then send TCP yet another message asking about it. They tell me they only update when an update is available. That's not how it should work. Communicate with your customers so they aren't left in the dark assuming and growing concerned they aren't being heard. Especially if they've reached out to you in the first place. Anyway, that same day they later tell me that GT just alerted them a replacement was being sent.

So it seems like it will all FINALLY be resolved. Will update when that actually happens though.

• Like Like x 3
  17. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    This has run its course. The vendor was good enough to come in and give out contact information, this can get resolved without a thread dedicated to it. Any and all issues with The Chosen Prime, please use The Chosen Primes advised contact method.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.