The Blackout/Grindor Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Megatron47, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Exactly.
    You have a link to this? This all sounds very accurate from memory but not the Sideways, I remember only that Barricade was to fight Bumblebee in the desert.

Now Constructicons as individuals. ..man does that tick me off for not happening.

2. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Barricade becoming 'Sideways' was a plan Chris Mowry had for the ROTf prequel comics, not something from the film production crew:

Mowry's Profile - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

And apparently Robert Orci had no idea if it was Blackout in ROTF or not:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ou-may-ask-him-questions-283.html#post3785383

3. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    I was always under the assumption that they were different characters.

Blackout is supposed to be a normal MH-53 Pave Low, while Grindor is supposed to be the Super Stallion variant

The Super Stallion is larger, has 7 main rotor blades as opposed to 6, no radar bulb, and a few other differences. They probably just reused Blackout's model because they didn't feel like fixing minor details.

Also, because the Super Stallion is larger, Grindor is supposed to be a taller robot. And based on the scene when Prime jumps off of him, he looks to be about 35+ feet. Blackout, on the other hand, despite what some scale charts say, is about 31 feet from head to toe. If you include his backpack, he's about the size of Megatron (35 feet). But if you're going from head to toe, Blackout is actually a tad shorter than Starscream

If they are the same character, then whatever. I still want my leader class Blackout :mad 

4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I'd just like to add that this is a fascinating discussion. I knew nothing of all this!

I mean, I knew they kinda just seemed like they wanted another Decepticopter out of nowhere and said F^CK IT, but DAMN those rusty match-up pix!

Really, fwiw, this all seems fairly cut and dry with the benefit of this thread's info.

Grindor was really Blackout and only was called Grindor at the last minute for the same reason the G1 movie killed off all the OG characters...Hasbro needs to sell more toys and repeat toy-purchases for the same character are a tough sell.

THE END.

I mean, COME ON.

I clicked the link above.

Um. SORRY.

But ESPECIALLY after reading this thread I can't help but deduce that Orci's answer was CLEARLY sarcastic as all hell, lol.

5. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the first movie OP was 28 foot tall, Screamer 32, Megs 35 and Blackout 38. Not sure how tall Grindor was supposed to be in movie 2.

As for someone else saying Sideways was supposed to be Barricade. That's not correct. Bay originally wanted Sideways to be a lamborgini Con but could not get lambo on for the film so he got Audi. Its right in the special features on the blu-Ray. As for Barricade, he was also supposed to be in the movie and stop Bee on the bridge where they would have fought while Grindor carried the humans away. Bee was to contact OP an that's why those 2 were the first 2 to get to Sam and the others. All of this was cut due to time constraints.

6. Megatron47

Megatron47 Well-Known Member

I think everyone just goes by the name Grindor just because of the Voyager Class Toy. I mean of course Hasbro are going to back up there marketing line, remember the internal files for the ROTF Game identify the character as a Blackout, the Junior Novel names the Character as Blackout, and his appearance in the movie points Towards Blackout.

But at the end of the day everyone can have there own opinion, I say it's Blackout but that's my opinion.

7. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree.

8. Megatron118

News Credits:
    Now that I think about it, maybe I was wrong. This thread is convincing me Blackout and Grindor are one in the same. Sneaky Hasbro making me think otherwise. Someone get to deleting Grindor's page on TF Wiki

9. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Same here.

10. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    They're both dead.

11. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well as stated by someone earlier who said they like to think of them as repaints... I do too but I wish they would just change the colors.had they given grind or different color highlights this wouldn't be so confusing. Or the various long hauls running around..would it have killed them to make one yellow or something? I am all for re using character models but come on change something just a little.

12. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Google+:
    well guys here is were I come in on this, As we know Grindor was suppose to be Blackout but isn't, this is apparent in his fighting tactics, so since he isnt Blackout Grindor is a new character, Ironhide himself touched upon the look a like concept when he mentioned fighting the "bonecrusher clone" in rotf and said he looked alot like bonecrusher because he scanned the same vehicle mode, also it is apparent that Grindor is significantly taller then Blackout and they have different modes, but I do know Grindor was originally ment to be Blackout but canon wise now, he isn't, so now we have 2 different characters just like all the other clones but hey who really cares, Grindor and Blackout are dead now.

13. Megatron47

Megatron47 Well-Known Member

Well that is definitely why I created this thread because everyone just says "Grindor" because of the toy. When you watch the DVD of Revenge of the Fallen it's much more clear to see the dirt and rust on Blackout/Grindor so it's definitely worth checking it out because I only managed to capture certain shots for this thread. And as for Hasbro they would never say it's Blackout due to them wanting to sell more toys, remember there obviously going to do anything to make more money.

14. Megatron118

News Credits:
    I just always assumed Grindor was different because he looked so much taller than Blackout. Which also fits with the description that he was a Super Stallion variant of the MH-53. But yes, I'm glad this thread exists to debate the topic.

15. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You guys are putting WAAAAYYYYY more thought into this than the writers ever did. To them I don't think it mattered who the guy was. It was just laziness. Just like the Constucticons having identical clones who don't have bot modes but do form into Devestator.

16. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or of course, the Seekers, which almost all use the same fighter jet molding, just with some different colors.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TUROK1134

TUROK1134 Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of laziness, it's a matter of not having infinite resources to create 50+ completely unique robots.

18. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    If only Grindor was, like, green or something clearly different from Blackout, then we wouldn't need this debate.

Instead, he's curiously rusty....

19. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

yep.

20. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    That Constructicon clone sh*t pissed me off. And it still does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.