The Blackout/Grindor Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Megatron47, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Megatron47

Megatron47 Well-Known Member

I know Hasbro have made there statement by saying it's Grindor in Revenge of the Fallen but what I've also found out that I didn't know was that in the internal files for the Revenge of the Fallen video game identify the character as Blackout, indicating that the game had been developed with the understanding that they were the same character. Also while the CH-53E Super Stallion features in Revenge of the Fallen supposedly as "Grindor" the vehicle mode has seven main rotor blades however in the film six rotor blades appear on his back just like Blackout. Also strangely his anti-torque tail rotor blade weapon in the film appears to have six blades like Blackout as well while a normal Super Stallion has four blades on the anti-torque tail rotor. Also when the Decepticons venture deep into the ocean to revive Megatron, the Navy crew tracking them reads five contacts. When they get down there, they tear apart one of the robots for parts to rebuild Megatron. Then as they rise to the surface, the Navy identify six contacts, rumors long ago said Blackout was the sixth contact.

Also when Roberto Orci was asked about the character here was his reply.

"Was that Blackout? Was he just revived off camera along with Megatron?"

Also here is a few shots from the 2007 film comparing them to Revenge of the Fallen.

Notice the MH-53 Pave Low Radar Bulb next to his head just like in the 2007 film. Not only that the Radar Bulb is seemingly rusty.

[​IMG]

Also notice a lot of his bolts and Armour is dirty and the fuse box (which is circled) is battered and rusty.

[​IMG]

Like mentioned in the post above the CH-Super Stallion has four blades on the anti-torque tail rotor but it is clearly seen here in the move the Character has six rotor blades just like Blackout in the first film. Not only his rotor blade seemingly rusty but a few main rotor blades on his back and a few pieces of his Armour are rusty as well.

[​IMG]

As seen in the first film when Blackout invades the Military Base the logo that appears on Blackout's arm is quite clearly seen on the Characters arm in Revenge of the Fallen as well.

[​IMG]

Basically everyone is entitled to there own opinions on this I guess, I know it's a topic that has been discussed countless times but it's just something I thought I'd post to see what people thought.

2. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Robot mode's a redeco, vehicle mode is technically different. The Laurentian Abyss scene was a fuck up to make it clear to the audience that they were coming up with one more contact than they went down with, to represent Megatron's resurrection.

3. Sideways77

Sideways77 useless lesbian

News Credits:
    Unless it says '4500XX' or whatever that number was, it's Grindor.

4. Megatron47

There was no clear shot to see the "4500X" logo so we can't really go by that.

5. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    They're different helicopters.

6. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

Blackout was the guy who collects information and supplies it to his team.

Grindor is just a soldier that assists his boss in fights. Oh and he collected Sam.

They might be the same in look wise, but they are different characters.

7. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they just wanted to reuse the CGI model. I think there was some confusion between the staff as to whether it was Blackout or a new guy. The official word, though is that Grindor is a seperate character, but they might not have all been aware of that as they were working on the film.

8. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Well every other Decepticon Protoform has Blackout's face.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    They used the only shard to revive Megatron. How would his resurrection even be possible?

10. Sideways77

Sideways77 useless lesbian

News Credits:
    There were some shots of Grindor's alt-mode. Don't know if there was a shot if the tail, if that's where the number was.

11. Megatron47

Well I'm not sure? When the splinter of the AllSpark is dropped by Sam at the beginning of the movie where it brings numerous kitchen devices to life maybe the same goes for when the second piece of the AllSpark Shard is hit into Megatron maybe that activates all other Decepticons on the Ocean Floor as well?

I don't know really?

12. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Eh, if Hasbro says he's Grindor, he's Grindor, in my opinion. Same reason that the tank from TF07 is Brawl, not 'Devastator'.

At the end of the day, the movie universe is full of reused character models. See the Bonecrusher lookalike in ROTF, the Sideways lookalike in DOTM, and so on.

13. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    But techinically isn't that Sideways?

As all Sideway's are pretty much the same guy who lives forever.

I know the producers didn't know that but the Canon itself patches the hole for once.

14. Megatron47

Well if he was just simply a reused character model then why is he so heavily dirty and why has he got rusty Armour? To be honest he's too heavily detailed to just simply be a duplicate reused character model.

15. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Well, the AllSpark Almanacs are full of silly in-jokes and easter eggs. I don't think you can say for certain that the mention of the dimension-hopping Sideways wanting to go to Shanghai is 100% proof he's the same guy as ROTF Sideways.

After lengthy debate, TFWiki, at least, decided to keep the ROTF guy separate.

16. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    yeah, it's just laziness.

17. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    All I can say is that he was a damn good looking Decepticon that had potential.

18. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

All of the similarities you pointed out are due to the fact that it is the exact same CGI model in both films. Since Blackout kind of obviously died and the only Decepticon revived from the Laurentian Abyss was Megatron and official words says that the ROTF guy is Grindor, I'd say it's Grindor in ROTF.

19. Bumble-beePrime

Bumble-beePrime Best Toronto Fighter, not

News Credits:
    Like other said, it's just a reuse.

Bay wanted a helicopter character in the movie, so they brought a new helicopter for the movie. Bay wanted him to fight Prime in the movie, so they made him fight. But they were lazy (maybe out of time, but lazyness is the most possible answer) to design a new helicopter-bot, so what they did? They took the design of an already existent helicopter-bot: Blackout.

It was easier and cheaper. They just added the rust and dust for aesthetics aspects, the model is basically the same. Don't try to make sense out of this.

20. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

Like I said, it's possible the staff working on the models or other production things didn't realize it was supposed to be a seperate character thinking "They want to reuse the copter guy model. Well Megatron came back to life, copter guy must have too" and dinged up the CGI model a bit before passing it on. Either the people putting it in the film didn't notice (or even they thought it was also supposed to still be Blackout) or there was no time to switch.

Remember ROTF's production was a mess because of the writers strike and they weren't entirely sure who went where even as they were shooting.