The Bioshock Thread - No Longer Just A Demo

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Brownstreak, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

that be a good reason....Its a moral dilema though, be broke and finish education 4 months earlier, or get money and finish education 4 months after...

either way the prospect of a 360 this year seems farther and farther....they way things are going migth as well flash through the last 3 semesters and get a decent office job, and then get a 360-and by that time we will have wii hd and Xbox 720 ^_^

2. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    They did this in a game. It was called Trespasser, and according to majority opinion, it sucked major FDD. Although that was partly because of the physics engine they also worked up for the game and the fact that, playing it as a more realistic game, it was far too easy to die.

I agree with the other guy on this, though: it is far too hard to integrate, and would you prefer a game company codes in a hand that doesn't clip what it's grabbing and forces you to move within your avatar's arm's reach to take something, as well as force you to crouch to pick things up, which leave you vulnerable to sneak attacks and the like, because such actions would then require the AI to respond to it, and so forth and so forth, and also give you a game that maybe lasts between 1 and 5 hours, because all the budget and programming time was spent making something even vaguely realistic that can be abstracted with no loss to the game in itself?

Face it, games already abstract reality extremely well. What was the last big name shooter you played where you could look down and see your feet, or had your hair brush in your eyes? When did Gordon Freeman's glasses last shatter and leave you blind when hit in the head, or fall off his head and leave you staggering around like you'd been hitting the moonshine from Redneck Rampage? Why aren't all walls destructible when you have the Destructomatic Death Dealer 20000000? For that matter, why when I face a boss battle, do I need to actually face the boss? Shouldn't I be able to sneak or talk my way around him? Hell, dress up in the first gumby bad guy uniform you find at the start of the first map, and just wave happily at all the other bad guys and walk through the game... but they're all abstracted, and certain things also become gaming shorthand.

As was pointed out, you put that into a game, you'll spend half your playing time trying to manoeuvre into position to pick up those two bullets the bad guy dropped, while the AI pummels you from behind, while your game time will shrink from a standard 8-10 hours to at most half that.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Wait, wasn't that a Jurassic Park game?

The Darkness. Oh, and your eyes had to adjust when entering a dark room.

4. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ended up pre-ordering it after seeing it get a review of 10/10.

5. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i'm tempted, and scared. i think this game would give me nightmares!

on a side note i can't remember the last game that made me feel this freaked out...

6. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

With sufficent firepower, you have nothing to fear :D 

7. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I played it last night finally.

I got my ass kicked when I came down the stairs and one of those automatic drones started shooting at me.

The game is beautiful, I love the style, and it surprisingly did creep me the hell out in parts.

I will be placing in my preorder for the limited edition version in a few minutes.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Trespasser came out in 1998. It is time for developer's to try something like that again; maybe not exactly like Trespasser because it had too many problems.

You make some valid points, but I don't think that having an arm reach out to actually grab something will reduce all game development to the coding of minutia.

For me (and some people I know) it jarringly separates me from the reality of the game. My prediciton: there will be a first person Wii game within the next three years where you have to use the Wiimote to grab useable items. A few other Wii games will follow suit and then start to become commonplace.

Back on target: so is this game available today or not? It just replaced Stranglehold on my buying priority.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

If you want it the way you described? It defnitely will.

Games, like film, very much have their own language, "invisble hands" being one of them. If it harms gameplay then it should definitely go.

10. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Bioshock demo was nothing short of awesome, and i anticipate the launch of this title for sure. There hasnt been anything that has cracked my addiction to Rainbow Six Vegas online.. maybe this will be the one to do it.

11. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i can't beleive the talk about not showing hands picking stuff up in games. if it stops me feeling like i'm in the game then great, if i was actually in this game i'm be too fucking scared to exit that capsule thing at the beginning.

12. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

On game topic, I was shocked and amazed at how much character the splicers had. I was really expecting generic enemies ala combine troopers in Half-Life 2 or the various Halo races. They all seemed to be different people. If the game continues that way beyond the demo area Bioshock really will seem like the best FPS ever made, all hyperbole aside.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Meh. It's just a grip I have with FPS games. It doesn't stop me from realizing that Bioshock is greatness.

I would just like certain things like that or proper body language during jumping animation (I am looking at you Halo) added to FPS games on the whole.
    I'm still gonna buy it.

14. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just saw this on Joystiq, it's been around before, but after playing the game this pic has more meaning now.

[​IMG]

I love ice cream

15. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

That pic is awesome!

16. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  17. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

Bloody exclusive special editions. Especially from places that won't ship Microsoft shit outside of the US.

18. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    Yes, yes it was a JP game ;)  I had a chance to watch a friend play it a year or two after it came out, and until that point I had loved the idea of the game... actually seeing it in operation changed my opinion slightly.

Don't get me wrong; I would love to see a full body in a game, and it's something if I was ever able to program a game that I would try to include, but it would be something that really would have to abstract the reality, because it would cause no end of concerns.

And wouldn't know about the Darkness game, it didn't come out on PC or PS2 (or N64, what's up with that? None of the systems I have...) so can't say about it. The "eyes adjusting" thing I can understand in the game systems, though, because that's the part of reality (light and dark) the game appears to be abstracting. Thief did similar things where it was able to in its 3 games - and the guys who did Thief, Looking Glass, did have in one interview I had read with them where when designing a game, developers have to focus on what parts of reality they will abstract for a game, because games just don't work like real-life events would. They're more like Hollywood movies; we don't need to see a guy go pee after a night of drinking heavily to know that he does - but in some movies, you'll see the guy have a slash on a nearby wall to reinforce he's been drinking or whatever.

Same concepts.

With game development, though, the equivalent of filming a guy with his back to the camera can be months of work overhauling existing systems to get something to fit with it, and then months more testing throughout the lifetime of the project to make sure nothing breaks that system as it goes in. What happens if the player lifts the cat, lifts the fridge, sticks their hand in the oven, etc.

Because sure enough, if you give players the ability to do these things that could potentially break the game, someone will do it.

And logically, if you reach into an oven, pull out a pie, you shouldn't be able to stow that in your pockets; you'd burn your fingers, drop the pie and blow and suck on your fingers. Or something similar. And then what happens when you don't allow something to pick up the paper, or pens or stapler, or push buttons or whatever? You then have a hand; shouldn't it be logical you can do anything with it you normally would? So that brings up new questions...

Er... I'm taking this too far ^^;; Sorry guys.

Australian release date is still next Thursday, sigh, jealous other people can play this and I can't :p 

19. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

For everybody that not trying to ruin the game from themselves yet. DO NOT search for the 360 achievement list because its suppose to hold the end spoiler.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info -I will avoid the achievement lists until my first play through.
    Anyone else have people on their friends list that are already playing this.

I have teh envy!