The BIG BUMBLEBEE CONCEPT ART THREAD

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shockwavers, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Digger

Digger Sharing peace, love and MP Cliff ≠ retool

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    See but the silhouette and shapes are very important. The whole argument of the “scrap metal monsters” argument is fair as they really don’t have the obvious and iconic silhouettes and parts of the originals.

You say Soundwave couldn’t work in our time, and if you mean his cassette tape yeah that’s fair. But his robot design has never lost value. He’s easily the second most iconic Transformers design, before Bumblebee obviously grew in popularity. Soundwave has a distinct and classic robot design. He’s a towering and emotionless figure, you can’t tell what he’s gonna do next. And then blam! Cassette drones!

If the Bay films wanna take that away they can. And they did. They made him a normal looking car robot man with claw legs and gave him a thin head with teeth. But it doesn’t feel like Soundwave.

Bumblebee got lucky cause the VW is a cute car. He takes nothing from G1 apart from that and the battle mask. But in his case he lucked out well cause the round shapes, while a unique design, reasonably work for his intended character. He’s round and charming, yet he has the skills to take on harder challenges.

Realism is cool and all but matching the key looks of the intended characters is always important, never to be sidelined.
    Yes sir!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Soundwave's concepts in the early stages was guided by his iconic look. Small elements from G1 Soundwave were kept.
    [​IMG]
    For instance ravage still ejected from his chest and his alt mode was a satellite. A form that I can see him in.
    [​IMG]
    His face/head should've been kept the same. I prefer his TF2 face design more than TF3.

Bumblebee did get lucky. And it only makes sense since he's been the main character throughout the series. I would've wanted more rounded shapes for Optimus though.

This piece was close to what I wanted. (Left)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Digger

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    His head looks more like Seasray lol. More of a weird troll than Soundwave. Why would you keep small elements? Why are you trying to hide who these characters are? They’re not even meaningful choices. They’re just aesthetic choices with no particular reason apart from just looking cool. Soundwave in TF Prime was very different but it worked. Cause he had a weird and faceless slender man vibe.

The RotF one is much better than the DotM one I’ll admit. But it’s still a weedy and bug like face. This. Is bad. Character. Design.
    See I don’t mean he got lucky cause he was Bumblebee, I mean he got lucky cause he’s a man draped in VW parts. He’s naturally gonna be cute and round. Which is what the old G1 did. Except he’s obviously structured off the movie Bee. So people say he feels like G1 Bee cause his design says the same about his character.

Prime wasn’t like that cause he’s a very different character. His top half is blocky and red. It’s very proud and commanding figure. Yet his bottom half is very athletic and slim. He has a lot of power and skill. He can lead the charge and take action.

4. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    One reason some design changes needed to be made was so they would look believable. Soundwave didn't look real at all in Bumblebee.
    It May have worked for tf Prime cartoon because it was mostly aimed for a young audience. But they had the right idea for how soundwave should be presented.

The films have a broader audience.

If they have kept his his original head design it would've given off that slender man feel. With an added visor and no mouth. And maybe his shoulder cannon too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sadly his face design change for dotm was so the audience can see emotion in him. With the removal of two eyes and an added mouth with teeth. But to me that's nonsense.

Bumblebee's hybrid design was a perfect blend between two aesthetics. And yeah, the alt mode did help.

But square like shapes doesn't work for me.
    [​IMG]
    I like the alien/robot hybrid designs from the older trilogy.

And that's why I didn't like Optimus all that much. Or Shockwave, Ravage and Soundwave.
    To me it was a like watching a live action tf mobile game.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 2:57 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Digger

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    But it’s an alien robot. What part of that is believable at all? He looked about as the real as the fake planet he was standing on. Bumblebee was equally just as not real.
    It worked for Prime because they had an actual idea that they cared about. It’s not the perfect way to do Soundwave. But they did it, and they cared about it.

If you just tried to make movie Soundwave look like Prime Soundwave nobody would care that much. Because he didn’t do the same Soundwave things that the one in Prime did. He did the “decepticons attack!” bit. And that was awesome. But that’s not something Prime Soundwave would do. So it’d just seem like a cheap reference.

Look I think it’s clear we have different interests in these films. But I just wanna be clear with mine. I think the new designs actually appreciate the characters of Transformers much more than the previous films. Which made their own stylish but substance lacking versions.

6. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Well-Known Member

Can someone please point out to me the difference between the “““Cybertronian””” mode Optimus and his Earth form? He looks about as Cybertronian as some of the Siege alt modes (meaning not very).

• Like Like x 1
  7. AdamLV0489

AdamLV0489 Well-Known Member

Wonders how many of these will be in the Visual History book.

8. Yohan PLMIXMB

Yohan PLMIXMB Not well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    From Shoulder to end of Finger, the whole arms are too small in my opinnion

9. Digger

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Wheels, shoulders, smoke stacks and arms.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alexander Fedorychev

Alexander Fedorychev Only $400, anyone can afford that, right?

News Credits:
    Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania located on Cybertron
    YouTube:
    Looks scarier in my opinion

11. dk1

dk1 Member

nice

12. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Opinions are funny things.

No, it shouldn't because historically each new TF series has its own look, not acknowledging the series that came before it. Did RiD 2000 Optimus look like G1 Optimus? Did Armada look like RiD or G1? Did Energon Optimus look like Armada OotimuO desired being a sequel? No.

The problem is that from day one G1 grand wanted a G1 movie and so anything that's not that is bad. The bay movie designs weren't bad and they did their style by DotM when they became complex but more coherent. It's fine having preferences, but it's everything in Transforners these days doesn't all need to be rooted in G1. All that is is pandering.

The Bay designs make as much sense as G1 designs. Sure you can see from A to Z how the car turns into a robot but don't these newer figures with fake parts show that the proportions of the bot modes are impossible to convey without cheating?

If, for example, only the chassis is painted how does the entire bot mode come to be the same colour? Realistically, Optimus shouldn't be entirely red and blue in bot mode because realistically there's not enough of chassis to cover him. The Bay movies took that into consideration.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 11:32 AM
  13. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:

The unused head design is rather interesting. I kinda like it.

I haven’t been on this thread in awhile, but I see it continues to be mostly comprised of “Bay bad. G1 good” posts. What a shock.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Mine's at least backed by the knowledge that the Bayverse ultimately self-destructed so hard that Hasbro gave it much needed mercy kill when they took the reins.

Pity that they didn't give a thought to how those post AoE designs are able to transform into anything. *Snorts* My favorites are Hound and Optimus. 100% real transformation here! *Snorts*

How great that Habsro finally flushed the toilet... Thank you TLK, your failure made it possible.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BelnadesPistol

BelnadesPistol Banned

That changes and discredits nothing he said.

16. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    To me an robotic alien would need to look a certain way. The seekers and other cons didn't work for me.
    When I think of a species of an advanced alien robots that transform, the tetra jets don't present that to me.
    [​IMG]
    In my imagination I'd see something closer to this
    [​IMG]
    The truth is Bumblebee is nothing more than a movie showing fans what they always wanted. A fun movie that doesn't distort the characters designs in any way. While also adhering to Bay fans.

If you ask me, cybertronian Optimus is more like this
    [​IMG]
    And his earth mode would be this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 3:38 PM
  17. octobotimus

octobotimus Decepticon Intelligence

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Design wise, each has their place. Now if those opinions are on whether the movies were good or not.... bay is factually bad.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BelnadesPistol

BelnadesPistol Banned

They all did better than Bumblebee in the box office

19. octobotimus

octobotimus Decepticon Intelligence

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And so did the last Jedi, which was terrible as well.

bay’s way to get money was simple, giant robots, Chinese market, 75 shots of women’s rear ends.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Just the first four, as has been established many times.