The best review yet

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ItsStarscream, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    But that's what I'm saying, it was freaking heaven. It wasn't the Matrix that we know from the cartoon, but what am I saying, it's not like anything looks like the cartoon.

Still, what the hell did dust have to do with that? What vision is BeastBotX having here, that involves dust? BeastBot...are you the chosen one? Do you see robot heave-uh, I mean, the Matrix right now?

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The dust in the sock was a pulverized Matrix, it started reacting when it was time for Sam's "trial".

And I kinda liked the heavenly place, it was kind of a beautiful vision after all that war, that is, beautiful until The Fallen's brothers showed up, no wonder he wanted 'em death, they're some ugly motherfuckers!

3. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Pretty much spot on review, very funny too!

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, the Matrix has always sort of had a heavenly "aura" whenever its power was unleashed or someone had a Matrixy "vision".

Plus, if it was "robot heaven", why were only the Primes there? Why wasn't Jazz there too, pattin' Sam on the back or something? I honestly thought the movie made it rather clear, I never thought anything different when I was watching the movie other than "Matrix-y Prime vision". And then the power of the Matrix jolted Sam back to life. Deus ex machina-y, yes, but not a plot hole.

*googles Ra's Al Ghul*

...What's the big deal? So I don't follow Batman villains. I don't understand your "OMG HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW HIM!" reaction here, Mospeada.

5. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Sorry, it's just like...not knowing the Joker or something.

6. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

As much as I hate to say it, everything this guy says is true haha!

7. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

My point was that this character wants to do good through evil. And that crosses a line from hero to villain. Taking a life is considered an evil act in the world of comic books and super heroes (and the real world, of course) no matter WHAT the reason, that's why some of us consider the Decepticon Hunt-And-Kill missions an evil act.

8. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

Written by a true hater who probably didn't see the movie at all, and only paced the thing together using word of mouth from others.

QFT.

9. ngnikolaos

So, you're saying that no one could possibly hate the movie so much after seeing it?

10. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To really get into this would require entering political/philosophical territory which is obviously against the board rules, so I'll just say that refusing to take a life in comic books, cartoons, and the like is often done so that the villain can eventually come back and the series doesn't end. The way they portrayed the morality of that in ROTF is much more realistic and practical, IMO. I think refusing to take a life of a bad guy just because they aren't engaged in doing something bad RIGHT THEN or can't fight back is not only silly, but irresponsible.

11. ngnikolaos

But letting Megatron and Starscream escape after the Fallen's defeat isn't?

12. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prime was occupied with the Fallen, and Megatron and Starscream have to obviously escape so that, again, the series can continue. I'm sure if he had had the time, Prime would have dealt with those two as well, but obviously the story mandates that he cannot. The rest of the Autobots were cleaning up the remaining Decepticon cannon fodder. It's not like they just stood there and waved goodbye to Megs.

13. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

This review is awesome! It's not perfect but it certainly explains the disconnect between die-hard fans who refuse to acknowledge the film's shortcomings and critics who look at a film as an artistic work. The unfortunate truth is that the hardcore supporters are unable to appreciate that a film can be bad and enjoyable at the same time. ROTF is not a good film, but it is a reasonably fun and entertaining one. Anybody who can't discern the difference is simply stubborn.

14. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

There was actually a cohesive story and character development in Star Trek to distract you from the plotholes/inconsistencies/nerd fodder.

15. Vengeance1701

Vengeance1701 Well-Known Member

Cohesive story? You mean....Romulan miner is in past, doesn't go to warn his planet of imminent doom, instead takes revenge on the people trying to help him and has such a loyal crew that (according to the movie, never mind the book/comic) sat there for 25 years waiting for Spock?

Character development? What character development? Kirk's still the same sort of person he was as a teenager. Spock...maybe. Everybody else was a wide caricature of their TOS incarnations. Sulu knew fencing, Chekov had an accent, McCoy said McCoy things. Uhura was the resident 'hottie'...Nero was nuts throughout.

I mean, if I turn the ol'brain off, I can enjoy Trek but with THAT franchise, I don't feel I should. It's supposed to have thinking required of you.

Transformers CAN require thinking but it is just a showcase for the toys.

Tank, I mean this all not as a shot against you. Just my perspective:) 

And Beastbot, there's such a thing as respecting the military (god knows I have a few friends in the armed forces) without taking away from what should be the focus: the Transformers. It was a little more toned down this movie but not much.

16. ItsStarscream

ItsStarscream ImmortalSeekerGod

Awww dont like the term? Its no different then all of /you/ calling the ones that see this 'movie faisco' for the tripe it is, whiners, geewunners, babies, stupid, ignorant, not willing to accept change (thats a brillant..ly WRONG one) blah blah blah blah....ALL OF YOU shred the HELL out those fans that only want something intelligent in these movies...awwww and now you don't like the term /you/ have been given? What goes around comes around and 'brownshirts' fit all the bay lovers damn near better then what the term was originally meant for....chew on that.....

And the art movie review does cut the movie down a lot...or were the few good comments about it just too dazzling for /you/ to see the rest? And Im having a good laugh reading all the 'excuses' and 'explanations' on what is 'wrong' with the review posted.... LOL you guys crack me up.

17. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

it was a fun movie and when I read that review yesterday I thought the review was funny too.

You sound like you haven't even seen it yet. Why talk about a movie you haven't seen?

That's like saying you don't like food you've never tested because someone else said it didn't taste good.

Please form your own opinions. Some people will love the movie, some will hate it. But it's still sad to see someone trying to have a discussion about something they really don't know about.

The Brownshirt title is just as stupid as the GeeWun title. If I say I thought the movie was fun suddenly I'm a brownshirt who's defending Michael Bay. If I say I like the 80's cartoon suddenly I'm a Geewunner.

The reality is so simple people seem to miss it. I'm a TRANSFORMERS fan. Some of the series/toys/comics I like, and some I don't.

Can't imagine why we're all expected to like and hate the same things. Only thing every TF fan has in common is that they all bitch like little girls. They're either complaining about the toys/cartoons/movies, or they're complaining about all the people complaining. (Like I am now)

So it's nice that at the end of the day what we have in common is that lately we're all acting like a bunch of little b*tches.

18. Spoon

Spoon Banned

19. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

I didn't even THINK about that aspect of time travel until you mentioned it :eek: 

My point was that while you're watching the movie, it all works.

Yes, there was character development. The term doesn't mean the characters develop and grow through the movie, the term just means that you get to know the character, you understand how they think, how they would handle things, etc. Kirk still acting like a teenager got that aspect of character development through.

I see where you're coming from though. Trek is more of an intellectual series than an all out action movie, but again, my point wasn't that it was true to itself, my point was that it was a good movie and generally well received. The praise for this movie far outweighs it's criticism, something you can't say about Transformers.

...and I'm completely fine with a movie where you can turn your brain off, I just want GOOD. Predator and 300 have about the slimmest of plots you can imagine, but they're two of my favorite movies. Iron Man isn't exactly Fight Club, but it's a well done summer blockbuster that was well received and made a ton of cash. ROTF was just plain bad. It had none of the characteristics of a good, memorable movie.

20. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Y'know, to be honest if you're complaining about stuff like this it almost makes me wonder why you like TFs in the first place. This "Chosen One" and "mystical energy" stuff happens all the time in Transformers. I really don't understand why this is an issue now, it's part-and-parcel of the TF mythos.
    But to (partially) answer your first question, it sort of brings the whole old "do I choose my actions or does a higher power choose them for me?" question to the forefront. It's sort of a "chicken or egg?" thing.

Considering how easily she followed them, I think it's safe to assume she has her scanners attuned to Sam's "heat signature" or whatever you want to call it. She likely knew exactly where he was all the time-- hence blowing holes through walls to make shortcuts. Obviously I can't get my DVD of the movie to check it, but I'm pretty sure she never aimed at his head. Which is the only part of him she needs intact. In fact, when she gets on the car towards the end of the scene, she specifically does NOT fire at him even though if she outright wanted to kill him, that would have been the logical option-- she tries unsuccessfully to use that tongue-coil thing on his head again.

Wait, I'm confused what you're asking here. I thought from your earlier posts you wanted more exposition. If not, then how exactly did you want us to know about it? I'm honestly curious here, I'm not being sarcastic. As far as I can see, there's two options: A. Show us in the beginning scene or B. Tell us after the fact. And IMO option B works much better, as it keeps the mystery of the first two-thirds or so of the film.
    And I'm not sure how it was superfluous. You needed a special energy to power something like a star harvester, that makes sense. Now as for the role of the Primes in sacrificing themselves, you're right, as I posted earlier I found that the big thing in the movie I disliked-- more explanation was needed regarding the Fallen's past and how it played into the Primes.

Right after the space bridge transfer, we seem him on the ground crying in pain with a VERY red hand. Made sense to me.

Plot device I will give you, but it made sense given the context. Jetfire is one of a special calibre of TFs. We don't know exactly what a "Seeker" entails in the movieverse (after all, he's not a Starscream redeco), but it's obvious they're some kind of special Transformers who are looking for something. And given that they're looking for something across the galaxy, it makes sense that they'd have powers that would get them from A to B faster.

Don't remember that specifically, will have to check next time I see it.

From all the Primes who sacrificed themselves around the Matrix of Leadership. Again, it was something I had just assumed from watching the movie.

Oh, come on. You're not seriously trying to make the Autobots and Decepticons look morally equivalent, are you? Do I really need to explain this?
    The Decepticons will stop at nothing to ensure the survival of their species, including destroying entire other planets.
    The Autobots, however, know that the height of their race has passed, given their planet is destroyed, and are simply trying to stop the Decepticons from taking out other races in the process. They know that destroying other races just to ensure the survival of their own is wrong.