1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

The Best 3rd Party MP Dinobots? Looking for Advice.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Unicron9, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Pandagfx

Pandagfx Well-Known Member

I mix & match for my Dinobot display. In Dinosaur mode, FT wins for me, they remind me of G1.
    In Robot mode, GP bots look more stylized with omph. I love FT Stomp, but man, GP Graviter makes him look so plain.
    Overall, I still think FT has a better quality end product, especially the smooth joints. Both FT and GP feel hefty. GP reminds me of larger body parts, and screwed tightly to avoid looseness.

Dinosaur mode:
    FT Scoria
    FT Sever
    FT Soar
    FT Stomp
    MP Grimlock

Robot mode:
    FT Grinder (don't like his waist, but replacement heads for the others are great!)
    GP Guttur
    GP Graviter
    (I don't need a Slag and Swoop in robot mode)

2. evilwithin

evilwithin Dinobot

In the first page there is a good comparison in bot mode. Grinder is marginally smaller, or at least smaller than Giga Sludge.

Due to transformation Grinder in dino mode is perfect with Giga dinos (and I think that Giga Grimlock will tower over the other ones).
    It's a given, because of the transformation. If you make all the bots in the same exact size, in dino mode Grimlock and Swoop look just a tad too big for their four legged buddies. But nothing terrible.

BTW: I'm not a fan of Grinder bot mode but the dino mode is almost a perfect G1 toy rendition, very tempting.

3. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

Well then mostly due to wanting the scale in both modes to all work together, I think I'm sold on the FT versions if I can possibly get them for a price I can pull off.

I really thought there were more viable options than just FT and Giga for at least some of them though...

4. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

I hear ya on accessories. I feel the same. Though I am catching myself in need of having them, even if I dont use them :lol 
    I was delighted when I discovered that my KO Wheeljack had the hypno thingie case and was a bit annoyed Prowl didnt have the missiles.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NemesisJazz

NemesisJazz Well-Known Member

Someday i will buy a set of mp style dinobots and will go back to this thread...oh btw, with the advent of mp44's price, its weird that i now feel that FT phoenix is a bargain at $250 :banghead: 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

If you have the means to buy both the Fans Toys and Gigapower sets, buy both. I like both sets, but leans towards Gigapower if I could only own one set, and saying this with 3/5 of the Gigapower set. I actually look forward to what is after the Gigapower Dinobots, would be nice if they jump in on the combiners and pull off the pinnacle Prediking.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    Agreed about the fanstoys part. As for planet x, I suggested it anyway just because it's so good. Their Grimlock is a must have. When I started collecting I promised to stay away from CHUG and get MP only but having this figure in hand and transforming him to his alt mode wow! I couldn't put him down. The way I see it he's willing to spend for an FT Jetfire that could easily get him 2 gigapower or planet x figures.

As for Fanstoys Jetfire, it's not that I hate the figure. I was really looking forward to it with so much anticipation. It was just....I can't find another word other than heartbreaking and disappointing to find out that he doesn't have a basic waist swivel. A waist swivel is one of the most basic points of articulation. In most cases, I'd understand if the figure was too small and they couldn't put any more joints in but jetfire is huge. He costs $240 and he doesn't have a basic waist swivel? And I don't believe for one second that Fanstoys doesn't have the expertise to give him a waist swivel.

If I started comparing this Jetfire to the other 3p Jetfire he'd definitely lose. Iron Factory's Jetfire alone not only has a waist swivel. He has an ab crunch. That's insane. A figure that small with waist swivel and an ab crunch and FT couldn't pull it off? Maketoys has a chug jetfire, with an ab crunch and a high kick that allows it to get into dynamic crouching stances. Fanstoys Jetfire looks great on the shelf but as a toy? It's an easy pass for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Could you say waist swivel again? 2-3 more times and it'll start to sound funny.

I agree though. It seems like a basic engineering gaffe, which is one of the reasons FT lost its sheen, especially after the apparent un-funness that was Koot, Rouge, and arguably Apache.

• Like Like x 1
  9. evilash3373

evilash3373 Well-Known Member

I'll give you that Planet X's dinobots do look great and I have been sorely tempted.

I know the feeling. Although I didn't feel disappointed by Jetfire, pretty much every FansToys figure this year has been disappointing one way or another for me.

I agree Iron Factory Jetfire is a dam good figure. The legends class in general is great and has been the highlight of my collecting for last year. Iron Factory's legends Bruticus is my favorite Bruiticus out of all the other ones I collected. Heck. Mecha Fans Toys dinobots are frigging amazing. I almost like them better than the Masterpiece versions.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I have the Dibots, and I've had them since their first run. They look great. The criticism of Scoria needs to be tempered with the fact that Slag's bot form, in any iteration, is a combination of dumpy and ugly. You can't hide the mass of those thunderous legs, or the oddity of his head-within-his-alt-mode-hear "double hood". And I love Slag! Neither Cesium nor the Giga version really get away from it, but that's OK, because that's just Slag.

That said, I find that the FULL set of the Dinobots is what makes the series, whichever way you go. They all have their strengths, and their detractors.

• Like Like x 3
  11. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    That's great. Guess we have different tastes. I was excited when you pointed it out. I watched the video but the waist swivel is pretty much negligible though.

12. Bujo

Bujo Well-Known Member

I just mentioned PX because the poster above me mentioned them and I don't mind shouting out one of my favorite 3P companies. If PX were inclined to produce MP scaled Dinobots in WFC/FOC or some other creative style, I might not complain.

13. King Nergil

King Nergil Ruler of Sub-Atlantica

Lol. I'm wondering what new MP Dinobots following the all toon aesthetics would look like. Probably like an upscaled version of the DX9 Legends set. I'm not sure if I'd want that. Generally I prefer the bots that look closer to their toon appearance. But MP Dinobots need to be shiny, metallic, detailed and have clear plastic parts if you ask me. Maybe I'm too attached to my beloved G1 Dinobots toys...

14. mags2424

mags2424 TT and 3P MP Advocate

This is an easy answer.

If you want more toon accuracy - Fanstoys

If you want more stylized dynamic sculpts - Giga

Done

15. ByLaw77

ByLaw77 Well-Known Member

8ACB3F4A-3308-482E-9C24-4BC2AADC12D5.jpeg
    Grinder and the Gigasaurs. Terrible band name. But in dino mode, they scale very well together.

I’ve owned both lines. Personal preference is for the look, size, and shelf-presence of Giga. Grinder’s a decent stand-in until Superator late this year (hopefully).

16. stinkyshawn

stinkyshawn Well-Known Member

true...but this will go on for another 15 pages