1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

The Best 3rd Party MP Dinobots? Looking for Advice.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Unicron9, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

Thanks a lot for these opinions guys. Very helpful.

I do prefer a mix of toon and toy with my MP's usually. For example, I am perfectly happy with my MP-10, got Ocular Max's Inferno instead of the way too plain looking more "toon" like official MP Inferno, and at this point I barely even buy any official MP figures because they have gotten so cheap 80s toon drawing-like that they usually just don't match with the rest of my MP collection as well as other options.

That said, my Dinobots don't have to perfectly match in aesthetic as long as the differences are not glaringly obvious.

To me, tons of accessories usually means more stuff that goes in a big accessories drawer or stays in the box at least most of the time.

I'm not aware of a place where people buy/sell/trade figures on Facebook.

I do already have P-X Vulcan and others that make up my Classics (CHUG) collection Dinobots but I'm talking about Dinobots for my Masterpiece collection. And I definitely don't have the space or income to get several sets of Dinobots. That's why I am trying to narrow down the best options for each Dinobot character for my MP set.
    If Gigapower Dinobots have lots of issues and that shelf presence is mostly due to lots more chrome and an overload of detail, sounds like I should stick to FT.
    Phoenix is the most disappointing figure for Fanstoys? From the 3 reviews I watched, he looks absolutely awesome, and I really want a Jetfire in my MP collection. I'm not one of those people who puts tremendous importance on waist swivel. If it is there, cool, but if not, the figure is far from ruined for me because of that. Aside from his tough transformation I have mostly heard only good about Quietus too, though I won't replace my Eligos with him.
    I appreciate your opinion but sounds like you and I are not on the same page as collectors at all, hah. :) 

Sounds like you and I very much ARE on the same page as collectors! Except you brought up Planet-X and those aren't MP Dinobots. I have a mix of those and Fansproject ones (some customized to match) for my Classics set. Or is Planet-X now making MP style Dinobots too?
    the_dinobots_by_unicron9_d9sb2fi-pre.jpg

Well if people never asked questions that have been answered somewhere before at some point, people would barely ever talk at all anymore.
    Buying a set of MP Dinobots is a pretty huge financial commitment so its pretty important for us collectors and involves decisions that are best made well informed.

Thank you. Those look beautiful together!! I have heard that there are some fragile scary parts on at least a couple of the FT ones though. Maybe their Slag and Swoop? I don't remember, but I do recall seeing people in a thread a while back saying some version of Slag was far better than Scoria and whatever that one was, it was voted figure of the year by several people a year or 2 ago.

Good lord those Gigapower ones are pretty to look at. One of my favorite things about the G1 Dinobot toys was that premium bling factor, but I think that might be a bit too much, especially to go with my FT Grinder.

I really thought there were more than just 2 options for 3rd party MP Dinobots but so far it sounds like there are really only 2...

• Like Like x 1
  2. evilwithin

evilwithin Dinobot

IMG_20180812_124457.jpg

Love them. They're the jewel of my collection. And I'm only 3/5 of the journey LOL

• Like Like x 8
  3. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

The FT's Dinobots improved with each release. Scoria was the first and he is not perfect by any means, but he looks the part. If you love the G1 asthetic, they work for me. With paying almost $1,000 for these five, I'm not going to go in on another set. They work for me, but I can't speak on the quality of GP.

4. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't care much about waist swivel as well, and in my opinion, FT Phoenix is the top1 FT products, probably among the top 5 of all 3rd party products.
    And FT Phoenix does have some kind of waist swivel, watch emgo's review of Phoenix, from 22:35, he explained how the wasit swivel works on Phoenix.

5. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

I myself went with Fanstoys over Gigapower, but it wasn't an easy choice.

Gigapower has, as pointed out, many details derived from the toys. To me, these are MP based on the toys which are beefed up in response to us fans thinking of the Dinobots as incredible powerhouses. I like that look, but I didn't like the size. GP based the size of their Dinobots on shots from the cartoon where they tower over Optimus.

In contrast, Fanstoys their Dinobots adhere more to the size on the scale chart: still bigger than MP-10, but not as big as GP. That was a big plus for me. What I also liked about the Fanstoys Dinobots was that they took the similar approach as TT did with MP-10-22: the animation model is the base and this was filled in with elements from both the cartoon and the toy, thereby creating more of mixed balance between the toy and the toon.

If you want incredibly huge dinobots: Giga
    If you want Dinobots based on the scale chart: FT
    If you want very toy based: Giga
    If you want Dinobots based on a mix between cartoon and toy (the Hasui mix of MP-10-22): FT.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  6. bluesymetal

bluesymetal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Anyone have the various MP Grimlock with Generation Toy Op Ex? I’d like to get one that’s about a head taller in robot mode. Prefer more of an IDW or partially stylized look to fit that aesthetic.

7. evilash3373

evilash3373 Well-Known Member

He said he was looking for Mastepiece dinobots. I think that pretty much rules out Planet X. Planet X has a more War for Cybertron look to them and don't have the chrome one would expect from Masterpiece bots. Also not sure how the Planet X figures would scale. Me personally, I started with FansProject because at the time I was big into Classics and they fit what I was collecting at the time. But after I got Columpio, I quickly decided to shift to the FansToys bots. The quality just wasn't there with FansProject. If he had NO dinobots currently I *might* recommend gigapower because they certainly have a real premium look. Since he already has Grinder he might as well stick with FansToys. Buying all 3 dinobot lines would just be overkill, in my opinion. He could buy a lot of other figures for what it would cost him.

Also disagree about Jetfire. He's a big imposing figure that has great presence. No one else has made a Masterpiece Jetfire that can compare.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bujo

Bujo Well-Known Member

We should start a club. Or a support group. Or a twelve step program...

• Like Like x 1
  9. ByLaw77

ByLaw77 Well-Known Member

In bot mode, this is true (he's too short). But in dino mode, I strongly disagree. I have Grinder as a stand-in with my Gigasaurs until Superator gets released, and he looks fantastic and scales very well, IMO. I'll take photos tonight and post.

10. Unicron9

Those do look great, and like a perfect fit for my MP collection if they scale right. Are those the Fanstoys ones?

11. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

12. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those are Gigapower.

13. evilash3373

evilash3373 Well-Known Member

I think those are the gigapower ones. They do indeed look good. Reminds me of Cloud 9 Quakeblast for some reason.

14. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I can’t complain about my FT’s Dinobots , with perfect fusion slag. These guys will out last my official MP’s build wise .

15. evilwithin

evilwithin Dinobot

They are Gigapower, but the metallic ones. No chrome, not overly blingy.
    I prefer them because chrome is more fragile in the long run (no matter the company), and they match fine with the finish of most MPs.

16. robh

robh Decepticon

• Like Like x 2
  17. evilwithin

evilwithin Dinobot

IMG_20181122_175354.jpg
    Gigapower in dino mode among MP carbots, for scale.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think you'll be happy with either FT, GP, or a mix of both. My personal preference is for FT because I prefer their aesthetics. I had all 3 GP bots as well and parted with them for different reasons. I thought Guttur's barrel chest was just a little too big for my tastes, and slag has the awful (in my opinion) tail kibble in bot mode which I could not get over for some reason. Their Graviter is flat out awesome though. Great proportions, great sculpt, great dino-mode.

I still own all 6 FT bots (including PF Cesium) and I have the OS KO MP Grimlock too. KO Grimmy and Cesium stay in dino mode and the rest are in bot mode.

I think it would be fun to mix and match a set. I'm not of the opinion that EVERYTHING has to look perfect and uniform with my bots though.

A cool mix could look like this:
    Grimlock: OS KO toon colors
    Slag: PF Cesium
    Sludge: GP Graviter
    Snarl: FT Sever
    Swoop: FT Soar of GP's Swoop

19. raptor22

raptor22 @TFBotShots on IG

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Fanstoys

20. Unicron9

Oh cool. Well as great as the more metallic ones look I have to say that less shiny look fits much better with my grinder. Only concern I have left on those would be if they make grinder look a bit small in bot mode.

That sounds pretty great, except I do definitely plan to keep grinder as my MP Grimlock. It's just a near perfect figure.