1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

The Best 3rd Party MP Dinobots? Looking for Advice.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Unicron9, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

I'm finally planning to start getting the rest of the Dinobots for my Masterpiece collection.
    I know they are expensive as balls and I still have to get my hands on a Fanstoys Jetfire first, but In the next month or two I do plan to start with at least my first one to go with the fanstoys version of Grimlock I have.

I am hoping for some advice on which ones to get.
    I've heard mixed things about the Fanstoys versions of some of these. I know I definitely love their Grimlock, but I want to get the best versions of the others I can get within reason price-wise. In other words, if the best option is long since no longer produced and going for like $300+ on ebay, I'll go for a more affordable option if the quality and looks are good enough.

There are several options now on most or all of these guys, so can anyone give me opinions on which I should go for? I do like to transform my figures and don't much like figures that have common QC issues or commonly break when handling. Of course I don't expect perfection, but I'd like to get the best ones I can, hopefully without it costing as much as a decent used car.

And as I said, I do already have Grimlock in the form of Fanstoys Grinder.

2. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

No point in switching if you have Grimlock, since he wont fit with Gigapower. And that is the only other viable option as far as Mp Dinos go.

That said your options are ruled by this mentality:

If you prefer cartoon style, you gotta go FT.

If you prefer a mix of cartoon with toy inspired altmodes and great detailing, as well as your dinos be trully massive compared to other bots, you need the Gigsaurs.

QC wise both are on par, but the gigasaurs have a ton more accessories I think.

• Like Like x 3
  3. evilash3373

evilash3373 Well-Known Member

If you have Grinder then why not get the rest of the FT dinos so the aesthetic matches?

Only other competition for MP dinobots is Gigapower I believe.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tfan12

Tfan12 Well-Known Member

Giga feels cheaply Made materials-wise

5. stinkyshawn

stinkyshawn Well-Known Member

I like the fpj… fits into my size range

6. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What @pilot00 said.

For me:
    FT is styled and sized more for general MP collections.
    Giga (IMO) went overboard with the extra greeblies and detailing. They are also massive, so it’s worth considering your shelf space.

Either option is pricey.

Personally I went all in on FT and even replaced Scoria with Cesium. Biggest issue is that I haven’t been able to justify a full 2nd set for Alt mode display. I thought about Reximus, my Scoria and then just getting the remaining three but even that is expensive.
    For now I picked up a set of KO’d G1 Dinobots and am looking at some tweaks and mods and a new coat of paint to make “mini” toon accurate Dinos. Not sure it will work but it’s shaping up to be a fun project.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Gigapower's Dinobots have stronger joints than the FT ones.

But they don't! Which in my opinion it is more important.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's easy...

FT. They're all good figures, but Scoria definitely shows its age. Might be hard to find Cesium or Scoria now (I'd go with Cesium which is their update on Scoria), but others should be ok.

And Gigapower. The 3 releases so far are good, although their Slag has some fragile parts in the way the dinosaur tail attaches to the legs. Otherwise, they are big solid bots and look great in chrome.

:cool: 

• Like Like x 1
  9. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Look on Facebook man!! I’ve seen sever and swoop sold for $150 each this week!!! Mofos are always broke and selling! Stomp is getting a reissue too. Scoria, FTW!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    I suggest saving up for the fanstoys, gigapower and planet x. They're all worth it. With that said, I'd go with fanstoys first, planet x second and gigapower third. Here's why, fanstoys is the most g1 toon accurate and the company has less issues with a figure breaking. They've also addressed a lot of the qc issues of their previous dinobots with the release of the extra parts that went with grinder. The quality of fanstoys figures is top notch as well. Planet x has a really really awesome grimlock. I can't say enough good things about it. If you're someone who likes to transform his figures, planet x vulcan( grimlock) is perfect. He has the best alt mode of any transformer third party or official that I've seen. Gigapower probably has the most shelf presence among all of them but it is constantly plagued with issues. Grassor (slag in particular) has a lot of issues. Guttur as well. As great as they look, their figures aren't as good as FT or planet X. With that said, Gigapower has plenty of time to make up for it with their swoop and grimlock. Their Sludge is probably the best one out there. My suggestion? Save up for the 3 lines of dinobots. Forget about Jetfire. As good as he looks, he is by far the most disappointing figure from fanstoys along with their cyclonus. Those figures lack basic waist swivels. Even the affordable jet type transformers from the official titan's return line have waist swivels and they only cost $15. Fanstoys charges $150 to $240 and it lacks basic articulation.

11. Bujo

Bujo Well-Known Member

I suggest doing whatever looks best, and suits your goals. Mix and match if you like. The idea that you have to match aesthetics is way overblown. FansToys does deliver in the quality department, but each subsequent figure seems to lose detail and paint apps. I'm fairly convinced "toon accuracy" is just another way to say lazy sculpting and boring figure.

Personally my MP Dinobots team consists of:
    KO Oversized MP-10 Grimlock
    Gigapower Sludge
    Fanstoys Scoria/Slag
    Bullsfire Swoop
    I'm currently underwhelmed by all Snarl options

Of the 7 or 8 Dinobot teams that I have, Planet X's rendition is by far my favorite. Their sculpting and build quality is the best in the game.

12. G1Dan

G1Dan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why does this question come up at least once a month?

Someone should post a sticky saying FANSTOYS

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ultra Martin

Ultra Martin Well-Known Member

:useless 
    Mayby it will help you with some pictures of differend comlete sets.
    I can help you with that with my Fanstoys set.
    If owners of for example the Gigapower set do the same you can compare those.
    Here you go:

IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1277.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  14. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

I think you should have FT Grimlock with the rest being Giga Dinobots- because that would look ridiculous.

15. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I’ve got the giga Slag and Sludge. They’re great but if you’re already invested in ft I’d stick to them

16. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

If a Swoop can't pose in an appropriately pterosaurian manner by having its beast mode's front and rear legs touching the ground at the same time, its not worth buying, I say, calling out all Dinobot figures as insufficient before I slither back into my sanctum of archosaurian facts

Seriously though, I'm personally a fan of the Gigapower stuff due to how it looks, to the point I do need to pick up Gravitar at some point

• Like Like x 1
  17. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy balls, I thought I was the only one!

Except no, they shouldn't because not everyone likes the Fanstoys Dinobots. I know my Grinder will be getting the boot the second Gigapower releases their Grimlock.

• Like Like x 4
  18. dickenz

dickenz PREDAK1NG

News Credits:
    Just so happens I have FT Grinder with the 3x Giga Dinobots on my shelf at the moment as I'm working my way through re-organising my display. Grinder usually goes with my 86 movie cast and the plan is to complete the Gigapower lineup when the remaining are released.

He doesn't fit in stylistically especially with the chrome Gigas. They have much more bling, he may fit in better with the metallic versions though. Overall he doesn't look that bad from a little bit of a distance. Height and size is OK, he might need to hit the gym a tiny bit.

Some pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  19. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 dark energon is one hell of a drug

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There may be a chance of Grimlock getting another official MP.

I personally do not care for the dinobots, I only intend to purchase a Grimlock and maybe a Slag. I have my eye on either Reximus Prime or Superator.

20. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb Ow, mah leg!!!!

I'm on board with the Gigapower stuff. I have their Slag and Sludge and am very happy with the overall look, transformability and quality. I'll definitely be looking at their Snarl once the hype dies down and his price lowers a bit!

• Like Like x 3