The Batman - Matt Reeves Directing and Producing

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prime17, Apr 12, 2016.

1. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gotham

• Like Like x 2
  2. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

"Well, uhh... you see, Gotham showed the police department in the days before Batman was around. This new series is about the police department with Batman around. We swear it's a totally different approach."

• Like Like x 2
  3. mn_128875

News Credits:
    Bruh they’re making shows about GCPD and Alfred but they ain’t giving my boys robin, nightwing, or red hood a show

• Like Like x 1
  4. SHINOBI03

I've not seen the Titans, but shouldn't that be about?

5. mn_128875

News Credits:
    Only about nightwing or robin I don’t really care about the others

6. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean Batman himself doesn't have a show and I don't think there's enough material for Robin and Nightwing show unless it's a miniseries.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    If they base the series on the Gotham Central comics it could be good
    [​IMG]
    Batman did appear in the book, but in small doses and they usually delt with the aftermath. much of his appearances could be handled with stunt men and a voice over.
    Gordon wasn't even the commissoner when the book happened,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maggie Sawyer from superman came over and became Captain of the main team. There were also other characters who were built up and became more prominate in the Batbooks and the overall DCU.
    It was by Greg Rucka so it was well planned and written, it was what I'd hoped Gotham would be like when it was announced.

If you haven't read it it's a good series

• Like Like x 2
  8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    ...and Ed Brubaker. They wrote it together before Bru moved to Marvel.

9. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Yeah two of the best writers working together.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

You know, as someone who has been considering getting into comics, one of the things that keeps me from committing is things like this.

We have the Titans at the top of the page looking quite well with their awesome costumes, in the police station answering questions about where Robin is. And, then Starfire comes in wearing almost nothing. I don't even really mind her being in the bikini looking outfit. I just want some kind of consistency here. If the other Titans are dressed nice, she should be. But, if you want her to go around in a bikini, than, put the other titans in that kind of wear too.

Then there is the factor that I got introduced to this character with the cartoon network Teen Titans cartoon. That of which she wore a much better outfit. It just gets a bet jarring when the characters I see in the cartoons don't look anything like their comic book counterparts. And, but, not just that, but they look really silly. In these bikini's. Same thing happened in that JLA Trapped In Time movie. Which I really liked. I got introduced to Karate Kid and Dawnstar through that movie. Both of which I really loved. I enjoyed those two being a pair. So, I googled Dawnstar.

Movie Dawnstar:
    dawnstar_jla_trapped_time.jpg

One of the first things I find on Google for the comic's version is, this:

LSH_49 (598x640).jpg

What the hell is this? Doesn't even look remotely similar to the one from the animated movie. Top of all that, she too, is wearing a skin tight bikini outfit, which makes me wonder why these artists don't just cut out the middle-man, and just draw these ladies naked. They'd look far more dignified just walking around naked, than in these outfits.

And, then I look at Blonde Wonder-Girl, Raven, and 'red-arrow' girl, and these three girls all have much better outfits. That look like there was more thought put into it than "Let's make them look as naked as possible, without actually being naked."

This is the kind of thing that keeps me out of comics. As, if I wanted to see this kind of thing, I can just google naked women for free. So, this is the kind of thing that keeps me just watching the movies and cartoons.

11. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    StarFire is super strong and semi bullet proof. She is also solar powered, so the more skin, the more power. Plus her race has no issues with running around naked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She's an alien so she doesn't always do things the normal way
    [​IMG]

Both Dawnstar's and Starfire's outfit in the images were designed in the 70's and the 80's. The cartoon your are showing didn't comeout till decades later and they clearly made her younger than the comic version. Plus these days people are more senisitive to showing skin.

Here is a more recent version of dawn star from the comics
    [​IMG]

Often when they appear in a cartoon now they change the costume.
    [​IMG]
    Starfire has had a few costumes over the years. The one you see in Gotham central is a variation of her original outfit.

Costumes change over the years and in different media. For many the old Perez version is the equivalent of the classic Spidey costume. So you often see her going back to the classic first appearance look.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. SHINOBI03

So why doesn't Superman goes around naked if he's also solar powered?

13. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    He was raised by humans. His Parents taught him better.

Starfire didn't come to earth till she was a teen and doesn't always pay attention to local customs. The Titans also had to remind her to put on a clothes back in the day as well.
    [​IMG]
    She and her sister were given away as slaves to stop a war so she didn't have a normal upbringing in her early teens either. Her sister faired much better and found methods to degrade her sister. Starfire can be very innocent but when she gets pissed watch out.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    So this Batman thread went into discussing what superwomen should wear. I like this forum.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dolza_Khyron

As an outsider, reading your explanation it really just sounds like they tried very hard to come up with reasons to make a teenager girl walk around mostly naked, and get away with it. I'm sure it's all well written, and much better in proper context.

I especially think that, after you post pictures of her having a much better costume 6 out of the 8 times. All, better dressed.

So, as someone considering getting into these books, after getting interested in them by the cartoons, I look at these, and just go "wtf?"

Dawnstar does look much better in that picture than the one I found on google. So, I'm glad she's put on more clothes in the more recent stuff.

16. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    As I said back then it wasn't a big deal. It was the equivalent of Ecchi manga or anime. Enough to give teenage boys a thrill, but nothing inappropriate. They never show anything.
    These days they are going after anime girls just because they say they look young even if they are the appropriate age and fully clothed.
    Amazon Remove Seller's Anime Figures as they "Promote Child Exploitation" - Nicchiban
    People are too sensitive these days. You can show a guy getting shot up with bullets and have his head cut off, but show an anime style girl in a bikini and they demand you take it down and try to get the game, manga, or show cancelled. So they outright lie about things they don't like to make them go away.

Hopefully this will all eventually calm down and people will go back to worrying about important real life things again and stop trying to cancel every show or old movie that doesn't agree with their world view. Seems to happen every 10 or 20 years some group comes around and tries to cancel things. In the 50's it was comics because of Wortham, in the 60's it was the red scare. In the 70's a group of moms tried to control children's television, In the 80's church groups had book burnings. In the 90's they went after Teletubbies and Violent Video Games. Wish they would stop trying to find scape goats and look for ways to fix things that actually matter.

Just because it doesn't agree with your world view doesn't mean it's wrong and should go away as long as the content is appropriate. Different styles, looks and views is what makes life interesting.
    Times and styles change.
    There was a time when people thought this was cool
    [​IMG]
    And if you didn't dress this way you were made fun of at school.
    Now it's just embarassing. That doesn't make it wrong. It was just a different time and a different style.
    At one point some one thought this was a good idea and looked cool.
    [​IMG]
    It isn't, but that doesn't mean it should be erased from history. I'm sure there is someone out there who loves this outfit.

Not everything works for everyone. So read and watch what you like. Comics have been around for a long time, so pay attention to the story over the outfits. Costumes come and go styles change. What was cool then may not be cool now. But at the time people may have liked it and many still do as they grew up with that version.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dolza_Khyron

No, no. I think you've got it all wrong. I don't want the comics to change at all. I want the movies and tv shows to better reflect what the comics are currently doing, so when I go to look up new characters I like from them, it's they're not so jarringly different than the ones I liked from the cartoons.

Again, as I said earlier, I have no problem with her going around all naked and stuff. The problem is that she is way different in the versions I liked that got me interested in the character. So, when I saw these things after googling them, it through me off.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The time that taste forgot.......

19. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    But teletubbies was really bad. Can't believe it's good for children growing up on it.

20. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    How about they wait until they see how the movie does before making a TV show sequel? Also, is Pattinson going to be in it? Because there's no point if Pattinson isn't going to do it.

Of course, the last time they told me a show was going to be centered around the Gotham Police it ended up just being a Batman prequel show that was all about setting up his rogues who will be fighting Batman in walkers than actually being a show about the Gotham PD.