The Batman - Matt Reeves Directing and Producing

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prime17, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know how Pattinson looks recently. Is he out of shape or just not jacked? I don't remember Keeton being jacked and he was just fine in the role. As long as he isn't shirtless in scenes, it really won't matter if he has a 6-pack or not. Bruce doesn't even have to fight probably. It will be Batman fighting. 2 words: Stunt Doubles. Batsuits are pretty good at hiding the actor in them. I'm sure every live action Batman has had other actors do stunts in place of the normal actor.

2. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Exactly if this role was just an everyday Joe then that one thing but this is Batman and what really irks me is the attitude. I really do not get upset that much of a lot of dumb things actors say but this one hit the right nerve. It is his whole attitude that what really irks me. Him acting like he is standing on some moral high ground for not listening to his trainer and not being like other people putting in the work is obnoxious. It mostly because I get so many people who do the same thing to me and try to act better then me because they are not as in good as shape as me. I get it not everyone is a workout nut but this attitude of "I am better then you for not working out" is so annoying.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hotshotprime43

Keaton was fine for the time but I still can't take him seriously as someone who can kick the crap out of people. Although every Batman has used a stunt double. Heck Affleck whole warehouse scene was the double I think the actor himself should still fill out a bit. Even if there is not shirtless scene and he wearing a suit the whole time at least put on some size to fill the suit out.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    He's probably lying about it to some extent, downplaying the effort. I am sure he will look fine. He just needs to be trim and agile. So long as there's not some batgut poking out from the shadows, I don't see the problem. We don't need some ripped hardbody meathead pretending to be the dark detective.

I suspected this might be the case.

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

We've already seen him in costume already. He already looks the part. How much more, 'the part' do you guys need him to look?

Honestly, I think you guys sound way more snobbish than he does.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hotshotprime43

Well when they start filming again it would be important for him to look the same for the sake of continuity so it is not obvious what scenes were filmed and after the shutdown. Also do you not read my posts because I think I explain my reasoning and thoughts out on this pretty well.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Here's the thing though. You don't even know if they're going to start up filming again tomorrow, or 5 years from now, do you?

8. Hotshotprime43

No I don't but wouldn't it be important to be prepared for when the filming begins again. I am not saying he has to be training hard every day to maintain or grow but to suddenly go "yea not going to really train even though my trainer wants me to" seems like an odd direction to go in.

9. Dolza_Khyron

Maybe to you it would be important. But, maybe it's not to him. That's where the snobbish part comes in. Imposing what is important to us, on to other people.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hotshotprime43

And him imposing that other people being in shape and working out for their roles is a problem is not snobbish?

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Man, you are on a tear recently. Pick some weird and wobbly position and then plant your flag HARD and defend it to the death.

A man was hired to take a job. This is part of the job he agreed to do for a vast sum of money he negotiated for. And yes, how he looks in regards to maintaining continuity with earlier shots is part of that job. He has a responsibility to the people he negotiated and made the deal with. Now maybe your argument becomes that expecting someone to take keeping their word seriously is imposing what is important to us onto others. But that is a garbage argument to make and I'd advise against it.

That being said, I'm sure he'll look close enough and I doubt I'd notice.

And also, I can believe Keaton as Batman just fine.

• Like Like x 3
  12. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Do you wear extra skinny jeans with a man bun? You sure don't know who Batman is do you? He kicks people ass at night, not pull up a laptop and get carpal tunnel syndrome.

• Like Like x 1
  13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    My two cents:

If he is already fit, then working out won't be too important.

If he thinks his role will be more cerebral than physical, then he'll have to work hard on that aspect.

This is on him, interpretation and method and whatnot, so whatever he thinks can contribute to his role will hopefully go well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Umm. Yes they do if the roll calls it. That's part of acting in films. They want you with a belly they eat ice cream before bed to gain more pounds. They want you more beefed up you go to the gym like chris did for captain America.

That IS part of acting. Don't want to muscle up don't get a roll that requires it.

That's one of things they get paid well for. Unless your adam west it makes sense you would have to get in shape to play rolls like superman, batman, hulk or thor.

With that said he looked fine in those test pictures to me.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Didn't used to be.

It can be an unreasonable expectation that can and has pressured actors into doing things that are detrimental to their health. We've got fat suits, muscle suits, make-up effects, body doubles, stunt doubles, CGI effects. Not to mention suspension of disbelief. It couldn't be less neccessary for the sake of some disposable popcorn entertainment. A good actor be physically quite different to the role they're playing and still deliver a believable and compelling performance.

I really don't expect this to be a problem. I really doubt he needs to put in all that time at the gym to convince us that a multimillionaire can run around in a batsuit.

16. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    While I agree that actors shouldn't have to put their health at risk, lifting weights is basically the complete opposite of being detrimental to one's health and offers tons of health benefits.

That said, the guy appears to be in good enough shape for the role already, so I don't think it'll be much of a problem.

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only if you do it gradually and routinely. If you crank up the reps to rapidly gain mass like these movie stars frequently do, there's probably a bunch of extra stress factors that aren't particularly beneficial.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Exactly. One of the reasons Hugh Jackman was advised by his doctor to give up Wolverine.

19. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

If the first Pirates of the Caribbean got made today, and word about the internal conflicts about Depp's performance got out, I swear the entire internet would come down harshly against Johnny Depp for doing something different than the studio intended. "How dare he!" we would say, "He has signed his life over to the machine, and the machine is all." Of course, now we know that he was making the right choice, and the studio's attempts to protect their investment were wrongheaded. They thought they knew better about what would connect with audiences, and they were fantastically wrong, as they usually are by the way. I mean, when Lucasfilm replaced Lord and Miller with Ron Howard on Solo, the entire internet jumped up and took Lucasfilm's side, defending Kathleen Kennedy for remarks saying those two just didn't know what they were doing. Well, every movie Lord and Miller ever made has been a critical and financial hit, and the Solo movie Lucasfilm did end up making was a complete disaster. Who was probably in the right there?

Creatives make movies. Money people don't. The hired guns who do the job the studio's way are people like McG and Brett Ratner. (And by the way, the studios aren't even the people with the money, they're the people with the lines of credit. The actual financiers don't give a shit how the movie turns out, they just want their interest.)

All of that to say, you don't hire Robert Pattinson to be your charming, likable hunk. You hire him to be an intense weirdo who makes bold choices, because that is what he is known for and what he is going to do. Similar to Johnny Depp in that first Pirates situation, actually. If you want Liam Hemsworth, cast Liam Hemsworth, but don't try to force your more interesting choice into that mold. If it's just that important that Batman be tore up from the floor up, we live in amazing times, and you can just do what you did with Ben Affleck for the same damn character, and put Pattinson's head on a jacked body double for the shirtless scenes.

20. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Fair enough. That's a good point!