The Batman - Matt Reeves Directing and Producing

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prime17, Apr 12, 2016.

1. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I kind of like geared-up Bats more. I really think they should do more with gear appropriate to the mission. Like if he’s going to be the “Detective” he should be pretty streamlined and light, move fast sneak around, just there to use his brain. If he’s going to scale a building and neutralize a threat he should be loaded for bear.

• Like Like x 2
  2. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel the suit can be made by anyone...which is not great since Bruce is a billionaire.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    A billionaire who doesn't want the entire world to instantly deduce he must be a billionaire in real life due to his Bat-clothes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So when he does get those wonderful toys and new suits every movie, then no one will know he's a billionaire anymore?

5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    No, Batman keeps his gear all-purpose as much as he can.

Not sure about low-tech, though that seems to be a major factor with this version. Specialized tech means no one else can do the job but draws attention, while Jason Bourne-style improvisation is practical but means anything can be a weapon.

6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    THE BATMAN Director Shares His Love For BATMAN RETURNS And THE DARK KNIGHT; Teases His Take On The Hero

"Well, what I’d love to do is to get a version of Batman where he’s not yet fully formed. There, there’s something to do in the context of who that guy would be in this world today, and to ground him in all of these broken ways. Because at the end of the day, this guy is doing all of this to deal with trauma in his past."

"I love Batman Returns. Michelle Pfeiffer was incredible. I love it, I love it so much. It’s so incredible and she’s so incredible in it. I just think it’s such a beautiful movie. I love the Penguin stuff when he’s going down the sewers as the baby. It’s just like, wow. This is the beautiful thing about Tim Burton at his best in that way that he’s got that connection into the fantastical that feels very, very personal."

"The Dark Knight is so incredible and I think that Heath Ledger’s performance and their conception of the Joker in that movie is indelible. And the battle that he engaged with, you know, with Batman/Bruce is incredible. But the thing you take away from it more than anything is that conception, specifically, I think of the Joker. That movie is so much about how it’s a horrifying thing to stare into the abyss, that idea of that level of nihilism. The whole idea that there was nothing you could do because even in the destruction of him, you were fulfilling his aims. It was just a terrifying notion that speaks to an aspect of human nature and that was really profound."

7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    THE BATMAN Director Matt Reeves Wants His Movie To Have "Emotional Stakes" And Compares It To CHINATOWN

"I was like: Look, there have been some great 'Batman' films and I don’t want to just make a Batman film. I want to do something that has some emotional stakes.

My ambition is for it to be incredibly personal using the metaphors of that world. It feels like this really odd throwback to the movies I came up on from the ’70s, like Klute or Chinatown. I’m not saying we’re achieving anything like that. Those are masterpieces. But that’s the ambition."

Nice noir-style vision there.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    A new trend in DC movies. Joker riffs on Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, and The Batman pulls from Klute and Chinatown. What's next? A Superman reboot modeled after One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and French Connection?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Everytime I think this movie might actually end up being good, DC ends up doing something that just has me scratching my head, going, wtf are you doing!?

Just put ALL the things in it, oh, and make it like all the things they know we like too. Fit in all the trends as well!

It's starting to sound Sony is making this movie.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    I don't know, I'm getting more of a "I want to, like, make a deep thought provoking indie film... where every image is, like, an allegory and metaphor to show the human condition... but, like, where the protagonist is technically ally a super hero... but, like, ya know, without actual "super" powers because his strength is, like, internal and comes from within like a strong spriit, and ya know, the lines of him being a hero or villain are, like, really blurred because all people are, like, a yin and yang dichotomy where we all have multiple facets & layers to who we are.. like an onion... and I'll leave it to the audience to decide if this film is a heroic rise or a psychological decent der der derrrrr...." kind of vibe from these new super grounded directors now.

The writing will truly be on the wall when/if any if these Paul Thomas -or- Wes Anderson wannabes start casting the likes of Zooey Deschanel, Jason Schwartzman or Saorirse Ronan in these kinds of movies. I mean, if they're all gonna by hyper 'grounded' now, might as well make them quirky too so all the boxes are checked.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    To be fair, Klute and Chinatown are both fantastic films. More fantastic than any Batman movie has any chance of being, but oh well. Chinatown in particular is easily in my top 20 movies of all-time. As much as I enjoy super-hero movies, I don't think any ever produced make it into my top 50. Maybe a couple might squeak into the top 100.

I'd watch a Question movie starring Jason Schwartzman. I'd be first in line.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Incepticon

News Credits:
    All of this = truth.

After watching Bored To Death, I'd maybe watch a TV show version of something like this.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dolza_Khyron

Yea, yea, while I haven't seen those films, I understand that they are considered fantastic films by a lot of people. But, that's not the problem is it? It's that DC is just following trends. And, the current trends are, fill the movie with lots of familiar character faces, fit it in the recent past, like 20 years ago, and make it like those movies people like.

I'm hoping that is what they mean too. But, I'm not holding on to that, until I see a trailer.

14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    THE BATMAN Director Matt Reeves On How The Movie Deals With The Hero's Origin And Gotham's Corruption

"This guy [Batman] is majorly struggling, and this is how he’s trying to rise above that struggle. But that doesn’t mean that he even fully understands, you know. It’s that whole idea of the shadow self and what’s driving you, and how much of that you can incorporate, and how much of it you’re doing that you’re unaware of."

"There’s something in there that feels very psychological, very emotional, and it felt like there was a way of exploring that along with the corruption in this place, Gotham," Reeves continued. "That feels very current. I think it always does. There’s almost no time when you can’t do a story about corruption. But today, it still seems incredibly resonant and maybe, from my perspective, maybe more so than maybe at other time."

Those films showcase the seedy and sordid criminal side of life, the side that's darkly fascinating to look at. True that it's a trend, but it could pay off for Batman.

That said, I consider Reeves to be slightly over-ambitious.

15. Incepticon

News Credits:
    All jokes aside, I do hope this movie turns out alright, but I think all these directors really need to stop giving interviews / sound bites like these and just let the trailers & movies speak for themselves. The more they talk about their influences, homages, etc, the more they setup an expectation - for better OR worse dependent on a person's opinion - and more often than not, the movies don't ever line up with those expectations - again, for better OR worse dependent on the opinion.

But that 's just me. I know most people now like and even expect as much info & spoilers in advance as possible for whatever reason, but I personally miss the days where outside of hearing about casting choices, we never knew jack shit about ANY movie until the first (and usually ONLY) trailer came out and then ultimately seeing the movie itself. This constant advanced "leading a horse to water" thing needs to stop, and the movie going experience of surprise needs to come back. IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dolza_Khyron

Yea, that's it. It just seems very ambitious, and I'm unsure if Reeves has what it takes to pull it off. With that said, I am glad he is being ambitious with it. Assuming this is coming from him, and not the studio. If it is coming from the studio, then the film is screwed.

Like, they're over-complicating things.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So season 2 of Altered Carbon already has this Batsuit on screen first, just missing the cape and cowl.

Attached Files:

18. Dolza_Khyron

Well, it's good to see that they're recycling.

19. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Which episode is that? Why isn't Pattinson wearing it?

Basic armor looks the same in general. At least if someone sees Batman they can mistake him for another armored-up dude running around.

20. Dolza_Khyron

Yea, yea, lol I know. It actually only looks similar to it because of the weird collar they both have for some reason.