The Batman - Matt Reeves Directing and Producing

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prime17, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    Isn't it the one from the Batman Babies aka Gotham TV show...?

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Gotham

• Like Like x 1
  3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Has anyone posted the video yet in which he almost eats shit on the motorcycle on a wet road? I just saw that this morning on reddit and wasn't sure if it was real until I saw these photos.

That's probably the part I like the most. I like this mask way more than the Nolan mask design (although less than the Burton design).

4. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I saw that on the Variety article that shared the pics. I wasn't sure if it was a stunt or an accident.

I don't know where they're filming but it sure looks Gothamy (gothic?).

• Like Like x 1
  5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    They're reportedly shooting in Scotland. America's too modern and expensive for Gotham's old-world architecture style.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I hope it looks good on film. I was always a fan of Burton's look for Gotham City.

• Like Like x 5
  7. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Gotham has never looked better on-screen.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    Is it this one?

The Weekly Planet on Twitter

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's it. First his rear tire almost slips out from under him, and then he falls down at the end. My guess is they chose the tires for looks and not practicality, because the other bike is completely fine.

11. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Yea, Batman you might want to change those tires. Before your stuntman gets hurt.

12. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

The cowl and ears look awful but I'm pretty sure that's because he's riding a bike and they have to have their stunt guy in some kind of re-enforced helmet instead of whatever they're actually using for the movie. As for the suit, I like it more than the Dark Knight suit. It's the exact same vibe but I like the choices they're making with this one better. The only thing I prefer about that suit is the fact that they kept the yellow belt in there for some color... This is missing that for sure.

One day blue cape with the yellow oval... One day...

This is A) an odd stray shot and B) maybe the worst take. When's the last time you saw those movies? Were you a teenager by chance? Because they're only cheesy in the way something like Rocky or Star Wars or any Spielberg that isn't a historical drama is cheesy, which is to say they're very earnest and melodramatic. Which is a valid choice to make and stick with, and it's a lot less exhausting to me now than something like the MCU which does the exact same things but winks the whole time to let everyone know that they're smarter than comic books mass produced for literal children decades ago.

But the scene where great thespian Rosemary Harris almost cries because Peter tries to give back the twenty she gave him on his birthday in Spider-Man 2 is untouched in comic book movies to this day

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Or the part where the people on the elevated train lift Peter back into the car and notice how he's just a kid. That whole movie is fantastic. I've been burned out on Spider-Man as a character since about the mid-1990s...years before those movies came out... but Spider-Man 2 is right up there with Superman: the Movie as the pinnacle of super-hero movies. Legit great movies that are simultaneously completely unapologetic about their source material.

About Batman, there are two basic approaches to the character's look: "creature of the night" and "urban commando". Both are legitimate approaches taken from different comics at various times. I've always preferred creature of the night, since that's the entire reason he chose to dress as a bat in the first place: to terrify criminals. When they go too far in the urban commando direction, I get bored and I feel like, why have a bat-motif at all? Which is why, as much as I like the Nolan movies, I prefer the look of the Burton suit. And it's why I greeeeeaaaaaatly prefer Kelley Jones over Jim Lee in the comics.

It was never really meant to be blue, though. It was black with blue used to show highlights. The same way they drew people with black hair. Black with blue used to show highlights. They never intended you to think Bruce Wayne had blue hair. Just over time, that morphed into more and more highlights until people started drawing it as if it was blue with black shadows. Partly to help it pop on the page. But a blue bat makes no sense. And it wasn't the intent of the people who created Batman to have his cape, cowl, gloves, boots and trunks be blue.

• Like Like x 3
  14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

They're phenomenal movies! There's just not a single wink or a nudge in them. And honestly, that makes stuff like the Raindrops montage in 2 or the dancing down the street in 3 even funnier. But the filmmakers are aware, they're being absurd on purpose. I can imagine those same scenes in a MCU movie, where they'd have to undercut it by having some character show up and say, "Um... what are you doing?" and it would be so AWKWARD AND RANDOM XD RAWR and I just cringe.

But then on the other side there's all the absolutely incredible dramatic stuff, the great action, the scary scenes being really intense for a kid's movie... They just fire on all cylinders at all times, and, to mix metaphors, up until 3 I think they have a great batting average.

I too prefer the pulpy, weird figure of the night look, although I'm not opposed to something more functional in that same vein like Year 100 or Dave Johnson's suit (where the cape has a little hook for the thumb so he can pull it around like Dracula). The urban commando is probably my least favorite of all the possibilities besides rubber fetishism, but it has it's place. And I think this one takes it in a more stylized direction than Nolan, which I like. I'll have to see it in it's full, CG touched up glory to really judge, though.

Well it wasn't their intention for him to have a yellow oval or a bat symbol with a head, but we've accepted those changes over time. Eventually he was wearing a blue cape and cowl, which is an equally valid way to draw the character that's been featured in some of his best stories. The blue really has nothing to do with being a bat, but it does make him look more like a superhero, and I think the mix of colors is just more pleasing with a little blue in there.

I think my ideal cape/cowl material would be Adam West's; ignoring the obviously silly, cheap way the suit is cut, look how great these colors are in the right lighting conditions;
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, I would take these colors for sure. Add longer ears and it's nearly perfect for me.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    One of my favorite Batman outfits
    [​IMG]

Something between this and Affleck's costume, or maybe an Arkham one would be my ideal

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm usually not kidding when I say Ive seen cosplayers with better outfits.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  18. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't like those extra little bumps on the shoulder pads, looks stupid. If it was all flat, would look badass.

19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oy that silver & black one makes Clooney look chunky. And terrible.

20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I actually like the Silver Clooney one better, than the other Schumacher costumes. It is a little silly with the silver, and Clooney does look a bit chunky, but it's not a cheap imitation of the Tim Burton one, like the other ones are. With the black reflecting blue, and the silver, it looks kind of like a grey and blue costume. I'd probably like it better if the colors were better placed, but out of all the Schumacker ones, it's the one I like the best.

Out of the all the live action costumes, I like the Tim Burton one best. Just don't like the all black. I don't like Batman in all black. Which is why the silver one stands out. One of the few that's not all black. Also, the previous three in the Schumacker ones, make the costume look like they were designed specifically to be a toy. Where, the silver one actually looks like a legit costume.

• Like Like x 1