The Avengers to be bigger than DOTM?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Zhadow, Apr 24, 2012.

1. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At the risk of sounding like an apologist the circumstances between whedonvengers n bayformers are very different.

With avengers we have have a movie that has been building up where key players were already fleshed out, a director whos already enntrenched in the fandom thx to mainstream events like SDCC et al whose background is largely geek culture related and stellar casting lead by RDJR n jackson, both universally loved.

Meanwhile, bay with action movie background is entrusted on making a kids property palatable to a wider range of audience (ie beyond us fans) with characters, lets be honest, has lesser tradition/development when compared to comic heroes that go way back to golden n silver age of comics.

Bay is way handicapped here (tho whedon would be crucified if he had screw up).

Ill take my superior avengers movie to my lousy But popular TF movie (which helps perpuate more toys). Itd be nice if they find a way to make TF movie as good as avengers but as a mostly g1 fan im not losing sleep over it. When i feel the need for a good TF movie, the 86 movie still does it for me. N as a movie fan in general i dont rely on event movies like TF or comic heroes to keep me entertained.

2. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    This QFT and yes.

3. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol  dude star trek n star wars may both have space battles, romance and fistfights but they can make for way different movies.

I mean its cool if u prefer either one over the other but if u cant tell the difference in what makes em tick i dont know what to say that :lol 

4. Arbitron

Arbitron Banned

The Avengers has already made $700 worldwide and its only been out or 13 days.

I think Avengers will be bigger.

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Which is what Bay intended. He thought the whole idea of Transformers was lame from the beginning. So instead he used the opportunity to make another military film.

6. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    I think Avengers will knock TDK from the #3 spot, knocking DOTM down to #5. I also think Avengers will hold that spot right up until DKR comes out. By the end of the Summer, I think DOTM will be bumped to sixth.
    Still a massive achievement for Bay an co.

7. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I'm hoping Dark Knight Rises will knock down Avengers, probably cause Batman is the most popular fictional crime fighter for decades. The Avengers have only started building up their reputation with the cinematic universe. If not, DC could make a Justice League movie with all their heavy hitters to out do Avengers.

8. Arbitron

Arbitron Banned

Dude, USE SPOILER TAGS.

9. Arbitron

Arbitron Banned

Batman, is(forgive me for this corny line) DC's last hope. Well, in the DC movie-verse he is.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Personally I'm rather bored of Batman. I found the last two movies kinda plodding. Batman is way down on the list of movies I'll be getting excited about. The general 'Batman is cool' thing, not even just movies, has become lame to me. He's the goddam Batman? Whoop-de-friggin-doo...

11. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say DC should just bypass regular JL movie n do demateis/giffen funny JLA movie. Its the only way we'll see gnort on the big screen.

12. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Personally, I don't think the fact that Avengers has been around longer was what made it better. Transformers has a rich, respectable and varied history of it's own - I really believe that the fact that it is a relatively younger franchise is not an excuse for the kind of movies we ended up with.

I thought Whedon had the more diffcult job. He had to take characters from a number of prequels directed by other people and find a balanced way of making them work together. Bay had control of Transformers from the beginning, but somehow still ended up doing what he did.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    ^ Indeed. Otherwise all new franchises with completely new characters would be crap compared ones with a long history. How long something has been around and been developed previously doesn't dictate if it's going to be good or bad. People work with what they have and the history of something is only one part of it. Talent at crafting movies is important too. A good writer (and/or director) can take something that's brand new and still make it great, while a poor writer (and/or director) can take something with many years of established cool stuff and can completely cock it up.

14. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

My thoughts exactly. I don't get this argument of transformers is worse bc the franshise is younger. It looks like a sorry excuse to me. I mean, Whedon could just as easily come up with something worse than DOTM. He didn't, and that's not because the avengers are older or more established. The movie is good on it's own, and I think if I never heard of the avengers before, I would've enjoyed it just as much.With the right ppl behind it, you can make a good movie out of everything. It takes tallent, not an established franshise. Something Bay doesn't seem to have...

Also, it takes a good movie to make ppl go watch it 2 or 3 times, and that's happening with the avengers. And I don't mean fans, but regular audiences. That will surely help make the movie bigger in the box office.

Also, by this reasoning, Clash of the Titans should be the Greatest Movie Ever, since greek history as been around like forever :) 

15. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I think this post has been lame from the beginning. Just think about things for a second... alien war comes to Earth, and the military isn't go to be in the mix?

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I agree the age of the franchise has nothing at all to do with it.

Back when I was a wee small lad a film series no one had ever heard of came out called Star Wars. Before seeing the film no one knew what a light saber was, a Darth Vader, or what a Wookie looked like.

Even though it had it's nods to past forms of entertainment no one knew who Indiana Jones was before Raiders of the Lost Ark.

ET went against the notion we had that aliens were just evil things that came to Earth to invade the place.

People had heard of ghosts before but the idea that you could strap a proton pack on your back and bust them was a new concept.

Loads of concepts that have become iconic films without having 40 years of comic books and cartoons behind them.

17. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

QFT

You can have an awesome concept with amazing history behind it, but if you give it to a director/writer combo who can't do characters and story it's not going to mean a thing.

Like wise, you can have the simplest concept and give it to someone with a talent for storytelling and characters and they can turn it into something amazing.

18. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yup. Alot of people miss the point with movies. The passion in Avengers shone through immensely, you could resonate with the heart and soul of the movie and there was a story to be told. The international response to Avengers proves this to be the case.

Transformers had some wonderful eye candy but very little beyond that, unfortunately.

Age of franchises do not dictate quality, forget about that notion. Otherwise Godzilla would be the most lucrative property around given it's the oldest movie franchise.

19. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Who is making this argument?

20. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Realistically, by two weeks (maybe even sooner), The Avengers could be hitting one billion. Considering it usually takes films months to reach one billion, that is superb. Guess The Avengers will be bigger than DOTM after all.