The Armored Core Thread.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Purple Heart, Aug 15, 2022.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's interesting how prevalent this is in Japanese media. I think because mecha is such a long-ingrained aspect of their pop culture the idea of "selling" the weight and scale of mecha has long since been passed over for more dramatic displays of technological advancement. Like how Iron Man went from a slowly assembled, weighty suit of metal in his debut movie to a near-organic nanotech suit without any sense of weight or solidity that just "grew" over him.

This is really common in Gundam, sometimes to ridiculous degrees. Despite the vast majority of the mecha in those shows being humanoid most of the combat is often set in space, where legs are all but useless, and even ground combat often has the characters move by hovering with built-in thrusters or boosting everywhere. Actual, ambulant travel is often at minimum, especially with the focus on beam weaponry over melee.

I don't have a problem with it personally, but yeah if you're looking for that grounded, believable weight I don't think AC is a series to find it. The technical advancement and emphasis on speed and maneuverability kind of preclude that. These are more walking (so-to-speak) fighter jets than walking tanks.

• Like Like x 6
  2. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, it always sorta made me wonder like why are they even designed with legs if they are always flying around. Technically just more surface area to damage. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  3. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Gundam at least often has the excuse of "AMBAC," a system of body movements designed to position the robot in a zero-G vacuum using precise limb movements over thrusters.

However why that requires humanoid anatomy specifically is still unclear. This gets even less clear in cases where the Mobile Suits have wings or other extremities that theoretically achieve the same effect, just without the excessive engineering a fully mobile set of legs would need. The finale of the original Gundam even features a legless, unfinished final mech for the villain, with him wryly stating that the legs are "really just for show." :lol 

Two particularly hilarious examples come form, ironically, two of my favourite Gundam series. One from Thunderbolt, where the entire plot is based around a pilot who's limbs connect directly to his robot, giving it human-level movement, and demonstrates this by testing the machine's ability to run... only to fight entirely in space and use its legs for all of three steps. Another is in Iron Blooded Orphans where, set under gravity in atmosphere, two characters comment that the thruster fuel of their machine sis low. They then proceed to hover to their destination, rather than using the perfectly good legs they have that would save propellant. (and Mobile Suits in this series are more than capable of running, and it's one of the series to actually take advantage of the humanoid robot designs for its battles, just not this instance)

But all that said... it sure does look cool to have a humanoid robot. :p 

• Like Like x 6
  4. Purple Heart

Purple Heart I just want to enjoy the things I love in peace

News Credits:
    60369950-A08C-4EA2-A682-8F66491C3537.jpeg
    All of these are good points but you reffered to a Gundam as a robot and not a mecha now you must die.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The chief mecha otaku from Knights and Magic uses the terms interchangeably so it is fine.

• Like Like x 2
  6. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    They basically mean the same thing after all :p 
    C10010AE-7910-45AF-8589-CDABB68FA75D.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    0188CD80-91BA-4F13-A0F6-B1D00884EBF4.jpeg

My OCD cannot allow this. The terms may be used interchangably, but a mecha is defined as a piloted machine. A robot is defined by it’s autonomy.

Calling a machine that cannot move of it’s own volition and requires manual input a robot goes against the very definition of the word. And I don’t mean in pop culture where terms are used incorrectly all the time, I mean the actual definition of the word as it created.

A robot is autonomous, it can move of it’s own volition and does not require manual input to perform a set function.

A mech requires manual input of varying degree. It cannot perform a task without this input.

And no, an oboard AI that helps operate the systems of a complex mecha does not make it a robot unless it is fully capable of functioning without input.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I can't wait to play Armored Core VI so I can pilot a robot.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Yoo, did you say robots? I love robots, and I love piloting them even more!

• Like Like x 3
  10. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    "Living here in Jersey fighting villains from afar! You gotta find first gear, in your GIANT ROBOT CAR!"

• Like Like x 2
  11. Soundlips

Soundlips Defending Reactivate since 2020 loves Tinfoil Hats

News Credits:
    Yeah that's pretty normal for the AC series. They have been a little slower and a little faster in the past, but yeah, typically movement is very fast unlike other games like Mechwarrior and Titanfall.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Soundlips

Soundlips Defending Reactivate since 2020 loves Tinfoil Hats

News Credits:
    I cant wait till they transform

Fun fact, they added that feature in Verdict Day so...

Transforming robots in AC, with legs that do nothing and hover anywhere anyone?

• Like Like x 1
  13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:

• Like Like x 1
  14. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    They had that in 4 with White Glint! Actually the final boss in Master of Arena transformed too!

15. Hate-triot

Hate-triot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If your point of reference is Titanfall I wouldn't overestimate the maneuverability seen in AC6 so far. The speed of Ronin and Northstar would definitely fall in line with the speeds AC's get in 1-3, 5 (which AC6 seems to be emulating). Now AC4 on the otherhand is a whole different beast when it comes to how fast mecha can be.

16. Sixshot the six changer

Sixshot the six changer Aka Three Erasers

What if someone made an armored core that performs the worst (armor, damage, speed, etc.)?

17. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    You would die because your enemy would out-perform and out-manuever you. Using the correct parts for a mission is a big part of the mechanics in most AC games. If you are going up against an agile, lightweight, mid range rapidfire AC and you go in with a literally tank with a slow rate of fire and close range weapons you will stand no chance. Same for the inverse. It’s all about adapting to overcome your opponent. Although, with some builds and enough skill you can overcome harder enemies. I know in AC5/VD I would pick a starting frame and just upgrade from their but not swap out all the parts for every mission.

18. Sixshot the six changer

Sixshot the six changer Aka Three Erasers

I just want to know what is the worst armored core parts combination to make the worst performance

19. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    WOOOOOOHHH KOTA HOSHINA COMFIRNED HE’S BACK FOR AC6!

THE KING IS BACK

20. Purple Heart

News Credits:

F01EC89F-E79D-41AD-A5A9-F078D74425D0.jpeg