The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. JazzAlert13

JazzAlert13 #1 Starscream Fanboy

News Credits:
    Yeah that’s my whole problem with it, it doesn’t feel like it kicks off. I think Imo post X of Swords it should’ve ramped up into inferno and then continued from there… instead we got him leaving after. So in hindsight it feels like his ongoing just plodded along for two years into a somewhat exciting mini that went nowhere.

2. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    You are not the first person to get that wrong. Even Steve Engelhart was repeating the misinformation line.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Major changes coming to marvel comics?
    People have found an interesting job Marvel is hiring for.
    screenshot_1175.png
    Does this mean they are folding Marvel or merging it into Marvel studios?
    What changes will this bring? Could layoffs be coming next?
    Lots of theories out there.

4. JazzAlert13

News Credits:
    So, with the new solicitations out it appears that X-Men will be a $4.99 book. Uncanny, probably too. I guess we must wait and see about Exceptional, but I can’t imagine it also gets the same pricing what with most of its cast being brand new characters.

It’s wild that they expect people to pay $15 a month for the core X-titles, with Uncanny and adjectiveless getting 18 books a year. Plus with ultimate (which is an amazing book and I somehow think will prove to be better than both the upcoming titles) also being $4.99 it seems Marvel just loves to jack up prices.

Ahh well, I’ll try them out. Hopefully they impress me. I did really like the FCBD story by Simone, and after reading Moon Knight I’m now way more excited by MacKay’s book.

I also think Wolverine will end up being a $4.99 book too. I mean Ahmed is currently writing Daredevil at that price, and Cóccolo is coming off of Immortal Thor so clearly Marvel thinks them creators worth charging more for. Plus Wolverine being the most popular X-Man.

It’s really not a huge deal, the extra dollar but individual issues are already pushing it at the price they’re at. Like when I read Immortal Thor I really dig it, Al Ewing is one of my favourite writers working. But I don’t think it’s soo much better than Immortal Hulk. Why is it more expensive? I don’t think it’s inflation, otherwise every comic would be raised in price and there’s still $3.99 books on the shelf. I don’t think the creatives are seeing an increased paycheque, I’d be willing to bet on it.

Last edited: May 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Zarius

Zarius Well-Known Member

There's to be Spider-Man anthology series focused on the alien costume, and among the writers of the first issue are DeMatties and J. Michael Strazynski!

• Like Like x 2
  6. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone know if Derek Landry is doing another Avengers mini? I just finished All Out Action and Beyond and it feels like this story isn’t done yet.

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    In my continuing adventures of reading Reign of X, I have now hit X Corp #1 and jesus, that was even more boring than Children of the Atom and I didn't think that was possible. I hope Way of X is better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ugh, X-Corp... I wholeheartedly agree that it was pointless and boring dreck. And Children of the Atom was another meaningless book. This was the time where I think the Krakoa era fell flat on its face, but I have to give props for at least trying new things even if I thought a majority of it was bad.

9. JazzAlert13

News Credits:
    I found X-Corp to be perfectly okay. I think the main issue is that it’s very much the type of story that needs time to explore the concept of a Krakoan corporation. I do not think under the best of circumstances that the market would support such a book, unfortunately. But I enjoy Howard’s writing and while it wasn’t on the tier of her magical otherworld stuff from Krakoa I still enjoyed it somewhat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't even know where the X-Corp idea came from. I don't remember there being any issues prior that established the idea of making a corporation, though, it has been nearly two years since I read Dawn of X, so maybe I have forgotten?

11. JazzAlert13

News Credits:
    Iirc X-Corp has been a thing since like.. I want to say Morrison? But yeah they brought it back for this era. I know in dawn they were using Hellfire as a way to sell their goods (I believe both above and below board), and I don’t quite remember if they had referenced X-Corp in Krakoa prior to this mini or not.

12. Zarius

Zarius Well-Known Member

Rise of the Powers of X#5

Phoenix battles the Enigma Dominion across her timeline, continually fixing alterations to her history as Essex attempts to rewrite it, while the majority of the Krakoa population take up permanent refuge in the White Hot Room, all but a few left behind a part of the Phoenix force. Xavier in the meantime reveals he'd been playing a long game against Moria, Essex, and Orchis. Mind melding with Moira, he reveals he placed a psychic signal in her aged 13 years old so that Jean can trace Essex through her and take him out. Convinced by Charles Essex is too dangerous and appealing to what's left of her humanity, Moira activates the signal and is destroyed as Jean closes in on Enigma. This triggers her eleventh life, but Moria discovers she has emerged fully healthy as a child within a branched timeline separate from the now former Kroakan age, while the timeline she left behind can continue on without her

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Thank you for the recap. I read the issue but I’ve had a really hard time understanding most of the fall of x material. One question I have is:

Is the Phoenix and the White Hot Room their clever way of resurrecting most characters and hitting the reset button without undoing the Age of a Krakoa? Seems like it but I’m unsure.

14. JazzAlert13

News Credits:
    wait… so are the mutants on Krakoa being left in the white hot room… presumably unusable going forward? At least until they’re taken out?

15. Zarius

Zarius Well-Known Member

I think what they're doing is just handwaving the non-essential ones to create another "mutants on the brink" status quo for those remaining on Earth, and that the ones we're familiar with stay behind also, they'll just quietly ignore this until somebody decides to do something new with the room and bring in a 'new' character that's bound to disrupt all of that

• Like Like x 3
  16. JazzAlert13

News Credits:
    Ahh, so it’s decimation lite, eh? That is like my least favourite thing in the history of the X-Men (okay maybe there’s a few other worse times writing-wise, but concept-wise? It’s the worst). So the fact that they’re just rehashing it but with new Phoenix flavouring is a bit meh for me. I hope it’s something that writers just kinda ignore and bring random characters back regardless of where they’re supposed to be.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Mudslide

Mudslide Eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head.

I'm simultaneously sad and glad I fell out of this X-Men stuff back when Mom passed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Way of X #1 wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. I also read the last two issues to Cable, which I guess is the end of his run (though I like there being an actual ending) and bored myself with 3 and 4 of Children of the Atom. No idea why I'm still reading this shit, so I will probably stop here. Or I might do the Hellfire Gala issue and then call it good since I have no idea if the Gala is one big story arc like X of Swords was or not. To be honest though, I'm starting to find myself bored with everything except X-Men, X-Factor, and Marauders. The Marauders issue I had just read revolving around Storm was pretty awesome. I think once I finish Reign of X I'm going to just read the Trial of X books I have an interest in rather than read everything included in those trades.

19. JazzAlert13

News Credits:
    Finally got around to picking up Ultimate X-Men 3. Ooh boy is this series good. I have been definitely convinced to go pick up the two Demon series by Momoko at some point.

If I was to have one complaint it’d be that it’s moving kind of slow. But it does feel like it’s telling a concise story and none of the pages feel… useless. If that makes sense. I think some modern comics will have 5-6 issue arcs that feels more like one shots or two issues at most. This feels like Momoko with a plan carrying a story out.

I think it’ll be a satisfying series to revisit once they’re all out. Definitely feels worth it for the books (though only as much as any marvel single issue can be worth $4.99, though the art is at least the best in a current on going imo).

20. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm three issues in to the Hellfire Gala and good god, is anything exciting ever going to happen?

• Like Like x 1