The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    So hyperbole, and indeed NOT somehow retconned to being her adoptive or biological mother. Got it.

The Titans are a family, would you declare that Starfire is Beast Boy's mother? I'd think not.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JazzAlert13

JazzAlert13 #1 Starscream Fanboy

News Credits:
    So, I’m trying to read a bit by the new X-creators before the new era starts, and I think somehow Wolverine is one of my most hyped books? I mean I’ve over time grew kinda tired of Logan probably from overexposure. I haven’t really been excited by anything about him in years. Maybe the Logan movie was the last time? I just feel like he’s a resource they know they can always go back to and thus will. I’ve started enjoying the other Wolverines (Laura, Gabby, Daken, etc.) way more as they feel different than the standard.

But I went and read the issues of Ahmed’s Daredevil on Unlimited and really enjoyed it. I will give the context that the only other Daredevil I’ve read is the Miller “Man Without Fear” series, so I’m not the most well read on the character. But I really enjoyed the 5 issues of Ahmed’s run I’ve read.

And I’ve been following Immortal Thor on the app too due to my love of Ewing’s writing and boy is Martin Cóccolo’s art wonderful. I mean it’s some of the best art work currently imo. I don’t know how marvel did it, but they made an easy skip into a must read for me. Damn. While it’s not the most interesting pitch (I mean I’m sure it’ll totally be some big change to Wolverine’s lore and yay a first appearance I definitely don’t think this will mean nothing in a few years time), but the only creative team I’m equally excited for is Simone and Marquez.

Not hyperbole. Just not biologically related. Adopted families also aren’t biologically related, and yet still family.

I don’t know much about the Titans, or most of DC for that matter, but aren’t the members all around the same age? If so, if the characters in text considered themselves siblings then I think referring to themselves as such would not be hyperbole.

With Kitty Pryde and Storm, I think it’s fair to consider their relationship that of mother and daughter. At the time Kitty joined the X-Men she had no real family that she saw with any regularity (I think her dad appears a few times before the miniseries where it turns out he does business with the yakuza). Storm, being one of the oldest on the team immediately forms a connection with the younger mutant that is definitely very akin to a guardian.

I’d also argue that Wolverine has a similar relationship with Kitty. I don’t see why this is a big deal, imo it’s something that has existed basically as long as the character of Kitty Pryde has.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Kitty's relationship with storm was more younger sister/older sister, she wasn't that much older than kitty in the old comics. Actually the first few issues has both the hellfire club and the x-men meeting with her parents.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Blonde in glasses is Emma Frost)
    They regularly appeared in early issues
    [​IMG]
    They even tried to remove her from the school a couple times
    [​IMG]
    Eventually they divorced and Kitty had a breakdown.
    [​IMG]
    After that we didn't see her father as much and her mother only appeared occasionally.
    Also a bit after that she started calling herself shadowcat and ran of to europe with Excalibur so she couldn't visit regularly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I think Kitty was portrayed as 13-14 in her first appearances (that’s why the whole Piotr/Kitty romance was a little creepy.) I also felt the Giant Size X-Men characters were also portrayed as young adults, folks in their early twenties. Piotr was likely the youngest and probably 18-ish at the start.

I think it was a conscious choice to have the second generation of X-Men be older then the first gen, which were basically high schoolers. It was purposely meant as a contrast to show second gen students already had adult lives they had to choose to leave.

Regardless, I always got a motherly vibe from Storm towards Kitty. It definitely did not feel like they were peers. It is different now that Kitty is a full fledged adult.

5. JazzAlert13

News Credits:
    As the issues went on her parents were less and less relevant with her basically being abandoned by them. Like even after fall of the mutants she basically is like “well my family is dead time to move to England” rather than go back home to her human family.

As for ages, I always read Storm as being late 20s to early 30s at the oldest. Just what the vibe was for her. I definitely can read a more sister like relationship between them, but again to me it always felt very guardian-like what with her taking up the responsibilities typical of a parent.

Even when kitty freaks out over her changing her hair it reads much like a kid realizing their parents are people too.

Piotr and Kitty’s relationship felt much weirder reading now than it did when I was a kid. It doesn’t help that in her early appearances it feels like at least once an issue there was a reference to her being thirteen and a half. I always personally retcon the ages to be kitty at like 14 and Piotr at 16 as that feels way less creepy to me. Otherwise it’s a full on grown man and a child (yes, 18 is still young but like if you are old enough to be in university dear lord you better not be doing anything weird with elementary schoolers).

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You know, I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but was there some major changed that happened with Marvel in 1995 when it came to their artwork coloring and stuff? At first, I thought it was just an artist change in one book, but then I noticed this was something occuring between issues in several of their books, if not all of them. It's hard to explain, but here are some screen shots for Spider-Man 2099 and X-Men 2099 that perfectly highlight what I mean. Kind of. It's easier when you're actually holding the books in hand than when looking at the photos.

Issue 19 of X99:

20240518_210857.jpg

Issue 20 of X99:

20240518_210917.jpg

S2099 issue 30:

20240518_211523.jpg

S99 issue 32:

20240518_211447.jpg

7. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Kitty started calling herself Shadow Cat after the incident in Japan where she went to rescue her father from a gangster and ended up being manipulated by a crazed samurai assassin. He taught her how to be one and because of the darkness she obtained within her, she donned the Shadow Cat name. Her father went to jail for the incident, which I believe may be the last time we saw him.

8. Ramberk Magnus

It's computer colored and improved printing. I noticed this more in the main X-Men books.

9. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So they started doing stuff via computer in the 90s?

10. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fun interview.

11. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That might be when Marvel bought Malibu Comics. They actually didn’t care at all about the comic line, but wanted the coloring technology.

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
  13. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    All I know is soon afterwards, Joe Quesada made it no secret in interviews that the changes in coloring and paper type to support it are among his top reasons to justify rapidly increasing the inflation rate on the cover prices, something that I think hurt the industry in the long run more than helped it. (recalling a big interview he did with Wizard Magazine)

• Like Like x 2
  14. JazzAlert13

News Credits:
    So with at this point around the first 3-4 months of the new X-era announced, what’s everybody planning on getting if anything?

At this point I’m probably picking up the main three X-Books and seeing what I like. Helpfully they’re all good but I’ll probably give em each about 3-4 issues to see if they really hook me. Especially if any or all of them end up being $4.99 books.

I’m going to get the NYX book. It has a very interesting premise (compared to most X-books at least), that I’m curious if they’ll be able to pull off. Plus I dig all the cast so I’m hopeful.

For the solos I’m definitely getting that Dazzler mini. At 4 issues it’s not a big investment even if it doesn’t end up being that great, but I dig the concept and Dazzler as a character.

Storm I’m kinda iffy on. On one hand she’s not in any X-books and I’d love to read some stories with her, on the other I’m not too familiar with the writer. The artist however did one of my favourite Krakoa series, Immortal X-Men.

Wolverine in contrast is a character I’m not the biggest fan of (obviously I like him, but he falls into the over exposed category for me. I much prefer Laura), yet Saladin Ahmed and Martín Cóccolo is an all star team, so I may pick up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ramberk Magnus

I’m looking forward to the relaunch but I’m in the wait and see mode. I don’t think any of my favorite writers are working on these books, so I want to hear how they review first.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm skeptically excited/cautiously optimistic if that makes sense. I dug the Krakoa era like dirt, and even if some of the books had weak points (some series just didn't work for me, X-Corp comes to mind), overall I thought it was the most interesting thing that had happened in the X-books for quite some time. So ending Krakoa sucks IMO. But I'm also mildly curious to see what the writers can do with the new titles and status quo.

Same. I'm hoping for the best (the new books are great!) but am preparing for the worst (the new books all suck and I'm done reading X-men for a while again). Fingers crossed for the former!

• Like Like x 3
  17. JazzAlert13

News Credits:
    Yeah that’s fair. I wouldn’t describe anyone working on the new era as a favourite but there’s certainly creatives I’m fond of (Simone, Cóccolo, Ahmed, etc.). I’m just going to jump in and hope for the best. I’d read no Hickman prior to HoXPoX so who knows?

Oh no I’m in a similar boat. I have a bit more mixed feelings about Krakoa. I think HoXPoX is one of the best mutant stories in marvel history, but imo nothing really lived up to the promises made there.

There were books I enjoyed early on like Hickman’s work, New Mutants, Marauders vol 1, Howard’s stuff and whatnot. And later on there’d be pockets I dug (Spurrier, Ewing, and Gillen to be exact) but I feel like the grandness of Krakoa was never fully followed up on to a satisfying degree. So with the new era being a much more back to basics approach I’m thinking it’ll be easier to live up to the promises and deliver a satisfying story.

So, all in all I’m hopeful that it’ll be good but also I don’t necessarily have the highest expectations like I did going into Dawn of X.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HoX/PoX through Inferno was mostly solid, after Inferno I thought there was a lot of, "Dog that caught the car/now what?" storytelling for sure. I REALLY wish we could have gotten the whole original Hickman story but Marvel just had to draw it out. Mostly because of the fertile soil Hickman had planted his seeds in but it still resulted in us not getting the original story he had wanted to tell.

After Inferno I enjoyed Immortal X-men a lot, and I think Fall of X has been a fun read, too. But yeah, there were definitely some pretty big swing-and-misses/broken promises in there along with the good stuff. .

• Like Like x 1
  19. JazzAlert13

News Credits:
    In my opinion Hickman’s stuff was solid but it didn’t really feel like it was going anywhere. Like I liked his ongoing well enough, and X of Swords was fun but it didn’t really feel like enough had happened. Really it felt like only Marauder’s and Brisson’s New Mutants had gone into what Krakoa meant on a global level in a satisfying way (and even then I don’t think Brisson or Duggan are o. Hickman’s run felt way too episodic imo.

That’s why I completely understand why the rest of the X-office wanted to keep on doing what they were doing, because the Krakoa status quo was very interesting and provided ample story telling. Now whether or not they followed up on that intrigue after Hickman’s departure is up for discussion but you know.

I do wish we could’ve seen what Hickman had planned but also I’mm not sure how good it would’ve been regardless. Losing that Bobby/Sam book though, that’s rough. I would’ve given nearly every single post Hickman X-book for that lol.

• Like Like x 2
  20. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well nuts. That was the story back in the day, looks like it was wrong. And hence I was wrong. I stand corrected.
    Hickman books start slow. Avengers doesn’t get going till after Infinity. I’d argue it’s the Infinite Avengers and Perfect World arc before the bombs start popping off. I’d argue F4 doesn’t get going until Fantastic Four 600.

Inferno was where things probably should have kicked off.

• Like Like x 1