The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ugh, all I know is I freaking hate John Romita Jr.'s art so much. He totally ruins the comic reading experience for me.

3. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, it’s not for me. The artwork just looks… off.

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Stupid question. If MCU is Marvel Cinematic Universe. What is the comic universe called?

Back before the movies, I'd use MCU as Marvel Comic Universe...

5. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Marvel Universe. That’s what it’s always been. Some also call it the 616.

But everyone else, we common folk, call it something else… 1559D248-A02A-454F-BB56-FEAB3088CC8B.png

• Like Like x 2
  6. Issy543

News Credits:
    Conan License To Move On From Marvel Comics (bleedingcool.com)

Marvel published Conan comic books in the seventies, eighties, and nineties based on the Robert E Howard stories, and licensed from his estate. Dark Horse Comics published them in the noughtiues and teens, with Marvel taking the license from 2019 onwards, while also including Conan with the rest of the Marvel Universe in the series Savage Avengers.

Now, Conan The Barbarian is in the public domain in much of Europe, as Robert E Howard died in 1936, and here work enters the public domain 70 years after the death of the author. The US, however, has a 95-year rule for anything published after 1922, which still covers Howard's work. But there has been some dispute over the various versions of the work, the copyright extensions necessary before 1978 and more that have muddied the waters over the years and have seen a number of court cases play out.

Conan comics are created and published in Europe without license under public domain rules, and Ablaze has republished them in the US, back into English, but only under the name The Cimmerian, not infringing trademark use. The trademark for the name Conan and the names of Robert E. Howard's other principal characters, is maintained by Conan Properties International and licensed to Cabinet Entertainment. Both companies are controlled by CEO Fredrik Malmberg., previously co-founder of Swedish role-playing game publishing house Target Games and CEO of Paradox Entertainment. They also own rights to Bran Mak Morn, Kull, Solomon Kane, Mutant, Mutant Chronicles, Warzone, Kult, and Chronopia.

Bleeding Cool understands that this company, or new owners, now wish to publish Conan comic books themselves. And so won't be renewing the Marvel Comics license. I understand however that this will not affect Conan backstock of collections and omnibuses which Marvel will continue to publish. And that they could even use the Conan character in continuing Savage Avengers comic books. That will have to be seen. But for ongoing Marvel Conan series? King Conan #5 is published by Marvel on the 1st of June, and #6 on the 6th of July and that may be your lot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    I would have guessed this might also have done with the drastically decreased use of Conan since his return in 2019, and the surprise public controversy with what happened with "King Conan", but seems like that's coincidence. Also, good luck to Cabinet Entertainment in trying to get into the American comic book retail scene in this day of age.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I love it. He was the artist when I started buying ASM off the rack in the early eighties. The mask, the eyes in that picture... Perfection.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    I agree 100%.

JR/JR, Ron Frenz, and Sal Buscema's individual works on ASM (early to mid eighties) and Spectacular Spider-Man (late eighties) respectively, defined Spidey's look to me as I was getting into reading comics during that time.

As much as I also liked McFarlane, his style pioneered a Spidey-aesthetic that was not consistent with what established by John Romita Sr. during the late 60s and 70s.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Issy543

News Credits:
    Marvel Comics Announces Final Conan Stories... For Now (bleedingcool.com)

Over the weekend, coming out of Lake Comic Comic Art Festival in Italy, Bleeding Cool broke the news breaking out of Lake Como Comic Art Festival, that Marvel Comics would no longer have the Conan The Barbarian license for new comics. As the license was reverting back to its original owners, Cabinet Entertainment, who plan to publish their own titles. We also reported that the CEO of Cabinet Entertainment, Fredrik Malmberg had posted on Twitter "What's your dream team for a Conan comic – must list writer, colorist, artist. GO!" with some fun responses.

And as I get home to my hobbit hole in London. Marvel Comics issues a statement telling people to "Dive Back Into Conan's Epic Stories In The Final Issues Of King Conan And Upcoming Trade Collections" and that "Marvel's new adventures in the Hyborian Age wrap up in King Conan this Summer, but it's not the last fans will see of Conan!"

This July, Jason Aaron's epic KING CONAN #6 will mark the end of Marvel Comic's new adventures into the Hyborian Age, but the fan-favorite character will continue to appear in several exciting stories including the upcoming trade collections and omnibuses.

This September, fans can check out CONAN THE BARBARIAN EPIC COLLECTION: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS — VENGEANCE IN ASGALUN TPB Volume #6 in the Conan the Barbarian Epic Collections. The book is written by Roy Thomas, penciled by John Buscema and Howard Chaykin, with a cover by Gil Kane. In the book, Conan the Barbarian and the pirate queen Bêlit continue their quest to reclaim her rightful place on the throne of Asgalun! To do so, they must descend deep down the River Styx into Luxur — the capital city of Stygia, land of snake-worshippers — in search of Bêlit's father. Along the way, they'll encounter raiders off the coast of Shem and the famous — and deadly — Hawk-Riders of Harakht! The journey also takes Conan to the Lost Valley of Iskander as he pursues the powerful Eye of Set and into swamps where a sultry witch and man-dragons threaten to devour him alive! Then Conan is joined by one of the fiercest allies he'll ever know: the formidable fighter and skilled mage Zula!

And to finish the year, this December, Marvel will release CONAN THE BARBARIAN: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL. 10 HC MCFARLANE COVER. The omnibus is written by Roy Thomas with Sandy Plunkett and Bill Wray, penciled by Michael Docherty and Gary Hartle with Sandy Plunkett, Tony Dezuniga, Dave Hoover, E.R. Cruz, John Watkiss and Bill Wray, with covers by Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee. The writer who made Robert E. Howard's CONAN THE BARBARIAN one of the most popular and influential comics in Marvel history, Roy Thomas, returned to close out the series' record-setting original run! With artist collaborators Michael Docherty and Gary Hartle, Thomas charted a path for Conan that took him from the shores of the Western Sea to the top of the Mount of Crom, from the desert lands fringing the Vilayet Sea to the deadly forests of the Pictish wilderness, reconnecting with the classic legacy of Howard but also bringing in contemporary additions to the Conan mythos like the Devourer of Souls, the sword-thief Isparana and Varnae, First Lord of Vampires — as well as old favorites Red Sonja and Zula!

Don't miss the end of this extraordinary journey this Summer, and stay tuned for more details on upcoming Conan trade collections and omnibuses including:

• CONAN THE BARBARIAN: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL. 8 HC ARTHUR ADAMS COVER
    • CONAN THE BARBARIAN: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL. 8 HC ISHERWOOD COVER
    • CONAN THE KING: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC JOHN BUSCEMA COVER
    • KING CONAN TRADE PAPERBACK
    • KING CONAN CHRONICLES EPIC COLLECTION: PHANTOMS AND PHOENIXES TPB
    • CONAN THE BARBARIAN: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL. 9 HC HIGGINS COVER
    • CONAN THE BARBARIAN: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL. 9 HC JIM LEE COVER
    • SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL. 8 HC KLEIN COVER

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

So no more Marvel Conan? Even in Savage Avengers?

That was fast. Didn't they just get the rights from Dark Horse (maybe was longer but felt it was maybe a year only)

12. Issy543

News Credits:
    Ultraseven To Follow Ultraman At Marvel Comics In August 2022 (bleedingcool.com)

Following the two acclaimed limited series THE RISE OF ULTRAMAN and THE TRIALS OF ULTRAMAN comes a brand-new chapter in Ultraman's Marvel Comics adventures—ULTRAMAN: THE MYSTERY OF ULTRASEVEN! This latest installment brought together by the landmark collaboration between Marvel Comics and Tsuburaya Productions will once again feature the amazing storytelling skills of writing duo Kyle Higgins and Mat Groom. Joined by rising star artist Davide Tinto, the pair will continue to dive deep into the secrets behind the pop culture icon's fascinating mythology in an adventure that will thrill longtime fans of the global phenomenon and welcome Ultraman newcomers! In addition, the double-sized debut issue will include an additional story spotlighting the history of Ultra Q and more instructional Kaiju Steps by Gurihiru!

Giant Kaiju roam. A sinister conspiracy consolidates power. And there's nobody left to stop it — because Ultraman is GONE! How did the situation go so wrong…? And how can the United Science Patrol claw their way back from the brink? The answers lie in the appearance of an enigmatic new Ultra, and a secret that has remained hidden for decades. From distant stars to lost dimensions, untangling this twisted web will require Shin Hayata to go farther and fight harder than ever before!

"Kyle and I's reimagination of this universe started with a long-term masterplan – which is why we featured Dan Moroboshi's mysterious disappearance in the very first pages of THE RISE OF ULTRAMAN," said Mat Groom. "It's so exciting to have reached the stage where we can now pull back the curtain on that mystery… and its world-shaking implications!"

ULTRAMAN: THE MYSTERY OF ULTRASEVEN #1 (OF 5)
    Written by KYLE HIGGINS & MAT GROOM
    Art by DAVIDE TINTO, DAVID LOPEZ & GURIHIRU
    Cover by E.J. SU
    On Sale 8/17

[​IMG]

13. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    It's hard to tell from this point because according to different sources/rumors, Marvel may still have the rights to continue publishing collections, and maybe/possibly still use the character in Savage Avengers. They absolutely can't do solo comics anymore from these articles. Yeah, that was pretty fast, but this newer company just got the media right I think last year, and somehow got the idea of wanting to do their own comics to I guess maximize profit. Good luck to them!

• Like Like x 1
  14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  15. Issy543

News Credits:
  16. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  17. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Is it just me or does Judgement Day (much like IvX) feel like they're trying to push a less popular team by having them go up against two fan-favorite teams?

18. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Another X-Men Omnibus checked off.

[​IMG]

All I need now is for them to release issues 194-209 in Omnibus form ontop of reprinting X-Tinction Agenda.

• Like Like x 3
  19. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Marvel's Hulk Finally Meets His Match in an Even Bigger, More Monstrous Hulk

"Starship Hulk has found what should be the ultimate paradise – an entire planet of Hulk-like creatures thriving under the heat of a gamma star. But Bruce can’t shake thoughts of the past or the nagging suspicion that Monolith isn’t being totally honest about what she wants from the Hulk. And then there’s the matter of the planet’s welcoming committee…"

[​IMG]

I sure hope that's a male Hulk stepping on Bruce.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Include me on the JRJR fan group. He has this very crunchy and physical style that feels almost tactile and immersive in its own special way. Sometimes it can lose its “cohesion,” especially when there’s lots of large scale explosions but overall, you can’t help but feel you’re on a New York rooftop on a cold winter evening.

I love my favorite artists. Where the hell is Bachalo!?! He seems to have disappeared…