The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, there was a period very recently where some editor got pretty teed up over characters that were attached to a fixed point in time. So all those characters got a retcon to allow them to fit onto the sliding time scale. The absolute worst is that all of the Howling Commandos were LMDs and had been dead for a while. Widow being a clone was related to that, as the Cap/Logan/Black Widow issue of X-men tied her pretty clearly to being born during WWII and the issue is way to popular to retcon away.

For some characters this isn't a problem. Cap just awakens later and later further and further separated from WWII. Magneto's mutant ability makes him age very very very slowly to the point of immortality. Tony Stark and Frank Castle are both wounded/serve in a more recent US conflict (typically now in the Middle East rather than in Southeast Asia). Some are still problematic and are being pushed aside actively (How can Sharon be Peggy's niece is starting to push credulity).

I'd heard an argument that severing the connection between Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Magneto wasn't just about the X-men movie rights, but as much (if not more) about the fact that Magneto has to be older and older to sire them.

I'm trying to remember who was behind the big push to make these changes. Tom DeFalco maybe?

2. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

That's the problem with American superhero comics, especially Marvel-- you want the current Peter Parker to be the same one that originated back in the 60s but he's only aged-- 15ish years? That'd make him 30-31 now? Even though 60 years have almost passed in real world time.

I don't mind retcons, even when they annoy me because... it's just the nature of the beast. Don't read American comics if retcons are a problem for you cause it's inevitable. Stick to manga with one writer and artist on a single title for year or 30 years if you want tight continuity (even then, its not a guaranteed either!)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    i dont recall it being tied to an editor. In any case, there were/are easily available fixes for a ton of the bad retcons, i think for a long time, the howling commandoes had their longevity explained away by the infinity formula, magneto’s could be explained away by making him an External (i believe this was Liefeld’s attempt at putting Highlander into the X-verse) ala Cannonball and Gideon, hell Namor is a similar case. Widow is a Russian supersoldier, could also be explained again by a similar super soldier serum or infinity formula, it was already pointed out that there was no way she could be still as young as she was given her history with Cap and Wolvie without something extra but Claremont didnt elaborate further. The clone storyline wasnt even addressing this specifically but had to address her death during Secret Empire when tons of ppl were brought back with the cube.

4. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    With Magneto, there was a considerable amount of time where he was deaged into a baby and was kept in a facility till a random happening aged him back to an adult. I always just headcannon'ed to myself that he wasn't quite aged back to his original physical age and shaved off some years that way.

5. Ramberk Magnus

Yup. That did happen. On the one hand, it sounds like a stupid plot idea. On the other hand, I think Claremont was trying to do a Star Trek style story about "nature vs nurture" and whether Magneto could grow up to become a different person if he had a better childhood. I have large gaps in Uncanny X-Men that I haven't read, so I'm unfamiliar with how that story turned out or whether it was any good. But I do remember Magneto finding out Moria McTaggert had done some genetic manipulation on him when he was a baby. Magneto was not happy about that. It was one of the few times I was ready for Erik to crack some skulls.

It's also evidence that Moria and Xavier have always been evil @#&*$.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Secrets Behind the Foundation of the Marvel Universe Come to Light in Avengers: 1,000,000 B.C. #1 | Marvel

As teased yesterday, new revelations behind the origins of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes are set to be revealed in a special one-shot titled AVENGERS: 1,000,000 B.C.

Arriving in July, the giant-sized issue will take readers to the earliest days of the Marvel Universe and back to the start of Jason Aaron’s AVENGERS run, when he first introduced the Avengers of 1,000,000 B.C. Aaron will team up with artist Kev Walker to unearth long-awaited answers behind this original incarnation of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, including Thor’s mysterious connection to the Phoenix Force. The story also promises to reveal how this fascinating addition to the Avengers mythos will play into a major upcoming Avengers saga later this year.

They are the defenders of the dawn of time, Marvel’s first and mightiest legacy heroes, but their greatest secrets have never been revealed – until now. Witness the dark events that shatter their ranks, see how their lives come to shape the entire future of the Marvel Universe, and be there for the monumental event that reunites them one last time: the true story of Thor’s birth.

“The Prehistoric Avengers have been an important key to my AVENGERS run since the very beginning,” Aaron explained. “They are the earliest versions of some of the earth's most powerful legacy characters. They're the heroes who protect the Marvel Universe in its crib. Now, we finally get to see them all in the spotlight in a huge way, in a story that shows how these prehistoric heroes shaped Marvel history in the most profound ways and that will also have big ramifications for the Avengers going forward.”

“When I first got the script for this, I was expecting a 30-page prehistoric smack down,” Walker added. “But Jason’s script was so much more than that and I’ve really had to work hard to do some of these scenes justice.“

AVENGERS: 1,000,000 B.C. #1
    Written by JASON AARON
    Art by KEV WALKER
    Cover by ED McGUINNESS
    Variant Cover by ALEX HORLEY
    On Sale 7/13

Check out the main cover by Ed McGuiness, as well as a stunning variant by Alex Horley and witness this pivotal Avengers epic when AVENGERS: 1,000,000 B.C. #1 hits stands this July.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Keep him away from she-hulk. We just got the real version back.

Looks like fans are liking clea strange. We all know from wolverine and others marvel can't stand to really pass the torch anymore so we know classic strange will return but enjoy her while we can.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I think he HAS to keep the real version around now. Editorial and all that. After all the real version returned in his book.

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Plus she's making her MCU debut...and you know they have to keep it close the same.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

didn’t we already read this 2 years ago?

11. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's still odd for me to accept this since I grew up knowing the one Clea as Sorcerer Supreme going a very bad turn in the "Earth X" universe, but that's my own thing. The canon version looks fun.

12. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I think Magneto mentioned in that story he was restored to his physical prime.

• Like Like x 1
  13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Was anything like that confirmed?

14. Issy543

News Credits:
    The Avengers, X-Men, and Eternals Struggle to Find Peace as Judgment Day Towers Over the Marvel Universe This July

This summer, the Marvel Universe will be judged by a power greater than anything they’ve encountered before in A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY, the latest Marvel Comics crossover event. Written by mastermind creator Kieron Gillen and drawn by the epically talented Valerio Schiti, A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY will find the Avengers, X-Men, and Eternals embroiled in a deadly conflict.

Kicking off after the Eternals boldly attack mutantkind’s new home on Krakoa, this complex saga will pay off various plot threads that have defined these franchises in recent years including mutantkind’s newfound immortality, the Eternals’ discovery of long-hidden truths about their species, and the Avengers' intense dealings with the Celestials. The event will have a massive impact on the characters involved and their stories moving forward, and fans can get their first hint of the full scope of A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY right now by learning more about the event’s issues and tie-ins set to debut in July.

July will see the release of both A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #1 and A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #2, and Gillen and Schiti’s emotional opening issues promise to define the summer. The X-Men claim they’re the planet's new gods. The Eternals know that position is already filled. The Avengers are about to realize exactly how many secrets their so-called friends have kept from them. Years of tension lead to a volcanic eruption as two worlds burn. Who has leaked the X-Men’s secrets to their latest foes? Why is Tony Stark abducting an old friend? And who stands in judgment over the whole world? As the world shakes, an unlikely group of heroes and less-than-heroes gather to find a peaceful solution. Sadly, the best laid plans of man, mutant and Eternal oft go awry...

Gillen will also team up with artist Guiu Vilanova to explore the root of the Eternals’ fury against mutantkind and the schism it’s causing in their society in a three-issue limited series beginning in July titled A.X.E.: DEATH TO THE MUTANTS. The mutants are Deviants. Eternals are coded to correct excess deviation. The mutants are eternal, Mars colonizers, ever-spreading. Eternals know what they should do. Our heroes don’t want to, but can they resist the murderous designs coded into their body as surely as any Sentinel? And if they can’t, can anyone survive the coming judgment?

In addition, A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY will spin off into the following titles throughout July:

A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #1
    A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #1 (OF 6)
    Written by KIERON GILLEN
    Art by VALERIO SCHITI
    Cover by MARK BROOKS
    On Sale 7/6

IMMORTAL X-MEN #5
    IMMORTAL X-MEN #5 will see Gillen and artist Michele Bandini spotlight one of mutants most fervent warriors—EXODUS. Bennet du Paris was born in the 12th century. Exodus marched forth with a sword in his hand and a shield in his heart to protect what he believes. It’s now the 21st century. What’s changed? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And the Eternals who dared attack Krakoa are going to discover what that means.

IMMORTAL X-MEN #5
    Written by KIERON GILLEN
    Art by MICHELE BANDINI
    Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
    On Sale 7/13

A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #2
    A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #2 (OF 6)
    Written by KIERON GILLEN
    Art by VALERIO SCHITI
    Cover by MARK BROOKS
    On Sale 7/20

X-MEN RED #5
    Arakko sees war yet again in X-MEN RED #5 by Al Ewing and Stefano Caselli. No one who is not an Omega-level mutant has ever taken one of the nine seats of the Great Ring. Together, they are the greatest power Arakko has ever known – and it’s nine against one. So, if the nine are losing…what does that say about the one? Judgment Day has come to the Red Planet – and it’s Arakko’s greatest test since X OF SWORDS!

X-MEN RED #5
    Written by AL EWING
    Art by STEFANO CASELLI
    Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
    On Sale 7/20

A.X.E.: DEATH TO THE MUTANTS #1
    A.X.E.: DEATH TO THE MUTANTS #1 (OF 3)
    Written by KIERON GILLEN
    Art by GUIU VILANOVA
    Cover by ESAD RIBIĆ
    On Sale 7/27

X-FORCE #30
    Deadpool joins and Kraven’s mutant hunt begins in Benjamin Percy and Robert Gill’s X-FORCE #30. X-Force has taken some lumps, but a new era begins as old-school X-Forcer Wade Wilson makes his grand return! Well, grand for him, necessary for the team, as X-Force needs all the help it can get in the fallout from the Hellfire Gala and the revelations of A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY! Find out why Kraven the Hunter is involved in the start of a landmark storyline titled “The Hunt for X.”

X-FORCE #30
    Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
    Art by ROBERT GILL
    Cover by JOSHUA CASSARA
    Variant Cover by CARLOS MAGNO
    On Sale 7/27

X-MEN #13
    Who are the true inheritors of the Earth? The X-Men and Eternals fight over the answer to that question in X-MEN #13 by Gerry Duggan and C.F. Villa. The mutants are the next stage of evolution. Evolution depends on a mutation of genes – the genes of the offspring deviating from their progenitors. Some would call the X-gene EXCESS deviation. Those people are gonna need to be taken down a few pegs.

X-MEN #13
    Written by GERRY DUGGAN
    Art by C.F. VILLA
    Cover by MARTIN COCCOLO
    On Sale 7/27

Check out the covers now and stay tuned in the coming weeks for more exciting A.X.E. JUDGMENT DAY announcements and reveals!

axejudgement2022001_cover.jpg immortalxmen2022005_cover.jpg axejudgment2022002_cover.jpg
    xmenred2022005_cover.jpg axeddeathmutants2022001_cover.jpg xforce2019030_cover.jpg xmen2021013_cover.jpg axe_checklist_1.jpg

I thought so to. I guess the writer wanted to provide more stories on this team, and make it have a more significant impact.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Issy543

News Credits:
    X-Terminators teams Wolverine, Jubilee, and Dazzler in a 'grindhouse'-influenced new series | GamesRadar+

Dazzler, Jubilee, Wolverine, and Boom-Boom are the stars of X-Terminators, a new Marvel limited series that launches in July that the publisher says is influenced by grindhouse films and is a "chaotic ride through a dark corner of Marvel's underworld."

The five-issue limited series (now almost standard for Marvel) is written by Leah Williams (X-Factor, Trial of Magneto) and illustrated by Carlos Gómez (Amazing Spider-Man Beyond).

According to Marvel, when Wolverine, Jubilee, Boom-Boom, and Dazzler are kidnapped and put in elaborate death traps by a mysterious new army of enemies, what begins as a wild girls' night out gets even crazier.

"What are three fierce mutants with the power to blow things up to do?"

Befitting its grindhouse influences, Marvel offers up a lot of adjectives to describe X-Terminators, including "hardcore," "neon-fueled," down-and-dirty" and says fans can expect plenty of "blood, sweat, and sweet revenge" with all the "light blasts, fireworks, time bombs, and brawling" could hope for.

"I'm excited about how gleefully transgressive this book is - it's sexy, stupid, and chaotic," Williams says in Marvel's announcement. "One of my favorite moments in the making-of this book was [editor] Jordan [D. White] asking, 'What do you think... Parental Advisory for this book? Or just T+?... I am leaning PA.'"

"I'm eager to be working on X-Terminators with Leah!" adds Gómez. "She's an incredible writer and always delivers fun and engaging stories and this title is no exception! Did I mention it’s action-packed? Also, X-Men has been one of my favorite series and it's always cool to be back in the X-Family!"

X-Terminators #1 (of 5) launches in July.

[​IMG]

16. matrixprime

matrixprime Just a guy who likes toys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Is anyone still reading the new Venom comic? I dropped off after King in Black and have been looking at spoilers online and I gotta say I'm pretty underwhelmed but looking for others thoughts.

17. Issy543

News Credits:
    Ms. Marvel teams up Marvel's harder-edged heroes like Wolverine, Moon Knight, and Venom

Each of the three one-shots is written by Jodie Houser, with the first, Ms. Marvel & Wolverine #1, drawn by artist Ze Carlos with covers from Sara Pichelli, Mahmud Asrar, and Peach Momoko.

As implied by the title, July 13's Ms. Marvel and Wolverine #1 teams Kamala up with the original Wolverine, who she's actually palled around with before way back in one of her first adventures as a superhero.

In the new story, Ms. Marvel will "shine in battle" alongside Wolverine in what Marvel describes as a "perfect jumping-on point" for new readers of Ms. Marvel's comic adventures.

Marvel hasn't revealed further details of the overarching plot of the three one-shots, nor the artists of the two other issues in the series. But the publisher has revealed that after her Wolverine team-up, Ms. Marvel will go on to adventure alongside fellow Disney Plus star Moon Knight, and Spider-Man's worst frenemy, Venom, each in their own respective one-shots.

According to writer Houser, it's no coincidence that Wolverine, Moon Knight, and Venom are some of the darker, more violent heroes of the Marvel Universe, as that's exactly the quality that Kamala Khan's youthful, heroic exuberance is meant to play off of.

"I'm thrilled to be back playing in the Marvel superhero sandbox, especially with a character as vital as Ms. Marvel," states Houser in the announcement.

"Teaming her up with some of the darker heroes of the 616 shows just how bright her light really is."

upload_2022-4-14_1-55-50.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Ramberk Magnus

That’s a nice look for Doom. I feel you can easily be creative with Doom and Marvel should encourage variations on his typical costume. He’s one of the few western superhero characters that translates really well to non-superhero attire. Take advantage of that!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Ah yes the marvel fashion show and lifestyle brand. They put more effort into this than their stories lately.

• Like Like x 2