The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm curious what happens with the Avengers after Aaron. I've been a long time fan of the book, even in the low times. But the post Secret War stuff has been a real mixed bag for the franchise. I gave up on Waid's run pretty early, and I've tried to read No Surrender and just can't get into it. I've read Aaron's run in trade form and just... trailed off on it. I didn't give it up exactly, as just not care when a new trade was available.

2. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Probably what happens most of the time when a high profile property changes creators, they might keep a few things here and there, but the temptation to revert things to a more classic take so they can tell their "Great Classic Avengers Story" is very great.

3. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The official X-Men relaunch line-up has been revealed by Marvel | GamesRadar+

The X-Men is getting relaunched in July. Might be a good time to jump back in:

Marvel Comics has unveiled the full-line of the new, formal, and official X-Men super-team debuting in writer Gerry Duggan and artists Pepe Larraz and Marte Gracia's new "flagship" mutant title X-Men, which relaunches in July.

Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Sunfire, Rogue, Wolverine (the former X-23, not Logan), Synch, and Polaris will be the roster - with Charles Xavier an unofficial member it seems.

According to the publisher, the new title will "showcase the incredible adventures of the first X-Men team since the mutant nation of Krakoa was formed in Jonathan Hickman's revolutionary House of X and Powers of X."

"The current era of X-Men has evolved mutant storytelling like never before," reads Marvel's announcement. "No longer protecting a world that hates and fears them, the X-Men said goodbye to their dream of coexistence and founded a thriving mutant homeland. But in the aftermath of X of Swords, original X-Men Cyclops and Marvel Girl realized that the world needed its premiere team of mutant superheroes.

"Things might be complicated between the nation of Krakoa and the rest of the Marvel Universe, but to the X-Men, things are simple—you do what's right, you protect those who need protecting and you save the world we all share. This new team are the chosen champions of mutantkind, and they're up for any battle to protect their people and their home planet."

X-Men #1 will debut July 7 with a main cover by Pepe Larraz as well as a series of connecting variant covers by Marvel's Stormbreaker artists. The "jam-piece" is an homage to the covers of Chris Claremont and Jim Lee's X-Men #1, which will celebrate its 30th anniversary this October.
    upload_2021-4-16_20-22-13.png
    upload_2021-4-16_20-21-56.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    So done with X-Men HoX/PoX was great and Dawn of X started out good then it just went to flood the market shit

5. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Makes me glad I'm ditching all the X-Men titles - It's a 3-month notice period at my comic shop, so it should end just as these are about to launch.

6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    How many times do they need to relaunch X-Men? This is what, the fourth time in three years?????

How is anyone supposed to keep track of what order to read things in when they keep starting over?

On the other hand, I preorderred the X-Men Inferno Prelude, Amazing Spider-Man V5, and Fantastic Four V4 Omnibuses today.

7. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

That's Marvel overall. Lot of their titles get restarted at #1. Roughly in a year or two. Also doesn't help they'll change the adjective of the title (ie Amazing, Astonishing, none).

8. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've said it before, but makes me glad I'm dropping outta the X-Men titles. Too many reboots and re-hashes on things.

Not happy with how a X-Men character is being portrayed? Just give it 18 months and they'll reboot them back to how you liked them. Were you a new reader and liked the "new" portrayal of that character? Just give it another 18 months and you'll get them back.

I was fully on-board with the Hickman reboot, and was glad to see some of my favourite characters back from the dead, but there were moral issues in the whole premise that weren't addressed. I mean Sync and Skin were dead for who knows how long in comic terms, but wouldn't they want to catch up with family and friends they had before their death? Wouldn't their families (even if they were mutant haters) want to see them again?

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    And this is why I've come to the decision to stick to Silver Age and Bronze Age comics for the most part. I'll make some exceptions for certain characters if the books are available in Omnibus form, but for the most part, nope.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a different mindset now. The individual series are pretty much self contained stories, like a limited tv show or a movie. The industry has moved away from the idea of a long running monthly book.

Part of that is in an effort to draw in new readers. It's a lot easier to sell someone on Fantastic Four number 1 than on Fantastic Four issue #612. Part of that is to also draw a line under the various creative team interpretations. Over on Avengers, if you go from Busiek, to Geoff Johns, to Bendis, to Hickman, to Waid, to Aaron these are very different books, each with a very different feel, style, and theme. Busiek to Johns feels the most connected, and not surprising that run is connected by a single coherent numbering. Bendis to Hickman to Waid feel like very very different books, and they're separated by different Number 1 issues.

I know it's frustrating to all of us older readers, but it represents a more creator focused approach and helps move books.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    At least there’s the legacy numbering. To help keep track of things.

Though regarding X-Men, with Hickman no longer doing the main book, what’s he going to be writing for this now?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rumors suggest it could be a series based around Moira:

Could 'The Trial' Be Scarlet Witch? Could Hickman's X-Book Be Moira? (bleedingcool.com)

While we are led to believe that the mystery book written by Jonathan Hickman and drawn by someone who may or may not be called ARTICLE, could well focus on a certain Moira Mactaggert, last seen in X-Factor #4 chilling in Krakoa's No-Place during an assault.

Given that we understand that The Way Of X will also be addressing directly Moira's ban on the revival of those with clairvoyant abilities (aside from Tempus and Betsy Braddock) might this be providing more fuel for Jonathan Hickman's fire? He has been promising a Moira-focused book for some time. And the last time we checked in, said to get back to him after The Hellfire Gala. Which is when his new book would be scheduled.

13. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    It has been awhile since we’ve heard about the Moira comic he said was coming...

14. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think that the new book is Moira's book. Hickman seems to like team books. Outside East of West (which had a fairly big ensemble too) he rarely does a series that centers on a single character. If it is centered on Moira, it's likely she'd be the mechanism driving it and not the character driving it, if that makes sense. I'm thinking Powers of X, where we saw Moira's many lives.

One way or another, Hickman is likely to have a book to drive forward whatever his endgame is. Though I have no idea what that book will be titled. I think at this point most of the legacy team names are in play (Excaliber, X-Force, etc.).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    We’ll see. We seem to be in the second act of this whole thing, at least that’s what it feels like to me.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  16. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I’d agree with that. X of Swords felt like the transition between phases. I suspect we will have a more clear indication of the endgame soon.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    A Mysterious Foe Threatens Marvel's Cosmic Heroes in 'The Last Annihilation'

Known for his long-term world building and big payoffs, mastermind writer Al Ewing has completely revolutionized Marvel’s space-based sagas, introducing exciting new developments such as Emperor Hulkling, the Kree/Skrull Empyre, the return of S.W.O.R.D., and a wild new lineup for the Guardians of the Galaxy. And since last year’s epic EMPYRE, Ewing has laid the groundwork for an explosive conflict that’s set to erupt this July in THE LAST ANNIHILATION, a new storyline that will impact some of your favorite cosmic titles and more. THE LAST ANNIHILATION will unfold throughout the summer starting in July with GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #16 and S.W.O.R.D. #7.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #16 will see the entire galaxy under attack, the likes of which haven’t been seen since Annihilus first waged war. Someone out there has awakened with a new vision for the universe and they have the army to make it a reality. When five different planets fall under siege, will it be too much even for the new Guardians of the Galaxy to handle?

S.W.O.R.D. #7 will take place immediately following the Hellfire Gala. The party is over...but not all the guests have gone home. Victor Von Doom is staying for dinner. Be there as he catches up with an old friend… just as THE LAST ANNIHILATION hits!

"GUARDIANS and S.W.O.R.D. have been building their own unique gravity for a while now, and in space, when two objects have gravity, there's a pretty good chance they'll crash into each other - or get sucked into the orbit of something even bigger,” Ewing says. “Marvel Space these days is a fragile coalition of worlds that chose peace over war, a little bubble of hope in a cruel void - but there's an enemy nobody ever suspected readying an attack that'll either cement all those frail alliances or tear them to pieces."

This summer...the war to end all wars begins. And not everyone’s going to come home. Find out who the mysterious foe behind THE LAST ANNIHILATION is on June 23 in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #15. And be there on July 21 when it kicks off in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #16!

Ewing continues his winning streak, I’m really looking forward to reading this.

18. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’m enjoying his GotG run. But I am skittish to see Annihilation invoked again.

19. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    I have more confidence in Ewing then Rosenberg.

And given how he’s been calling back to the Annihilation days to begin with, this doesn’t surprise me too much.

20. Omegashark18

News Credits: