The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah, kind of strange to relaunch a title with such a low level character. Seems better off with a mini-series, rather than a book that'll probably get relaunched in a few months. You look at the other Marvel NOW relaunches, they're all going with well known characters, backed up by big name creators, this one doesn't really fit the bill.

2. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

Uh not Romita Jr. :( 
    Yeah Bagley :) 
    Don't who are the other 2.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Remender and JRjr are a perfect choice for Cap. No one would be able to follow the Brubaker run trying to do the same kind of material. The only realistic choice is to go as different as possible, like Waid's success with his current Daredevil series.

4. Star Saber

News Credits:
    True, I look forward to this new direction. Anyone get the feeling though that Marvel sort of messed up the scheduling of this relaunch? I'm hearing that both Jonathan Hickman and Brubaker seem to be coasting through the end of their run, seems like they're just extending to meet the relaunch.

5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Awwwwwww shit. I just saw that Stuart Immonen is pencilling All New X-Men. I wasn't planning on really reading any of the Bendis X-Men stuff but I'm definitely gonna add that title to my pull list now.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Been doing just a little bit of research into Marvel Now. There's something just...off-putting about the look of Thor. Also, I finally found out that Rogers didn't actually die...and I was actually proud of Marvel for having the balls to kill off a major comic book character and leave them dead...oh well.

One thing I've had a hard time with, is finding a list of all the confirmed Marvel Now titles...since I've been following the new Green Arrow books (well, I'm currently behind, but I'll catch-up...eventually), I think it would be interesting to also follow a Marvel title. Just need to figure out which one...

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    LOL!

8. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

How the frack did you just now find out he was still alive?He's been back for a couple of years.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I don't follow Marvel comics...at all. Only reason I had heard of his "death" in the first place was the big hooey it caused. The news that he didn't actually die just never reached me.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That isn't the question. The question is how long has he been reading comic books that he actually believed Marvel (or DC, for that matter) was going to kill off an A-list character and leave him dead forever? That is a notion most people are disabused of within the first 5 minutes of reading American comic books. The longest-standing death of an A-list character I can think of would be Barry Allen, and even he is back.

People have to realize that these corporate-owned comics are not driven by creative concerns. They are driven by commercial concerns.

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I haven't read comics all that much. Read some when I was a kid, for maybe two or three years in the mid to late ninety's. Just last year started to get back into them (Green Arrow and Action Comics).

The corporate machine being what it is, is precisely why I was so proud of Marvel when I had heard they killed Steve Rogers, and as far as I knew, for good. As I said before, the news that he wasn't actually dead just never reached me. I've always been a DC guy, so I don't really pay any attention to what Marvel does with their comics. Till recently I haven't really even followed what DC does either...

Now that we're done with that, can we move on? Possibly back to the topic of the thread?

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's my point. It wasn't an attack on you; I was just wondering if you were a newer reader. We all had that "Holy crap! I can't believe they did that!" moment early on in our comic reading lives. But it doesn't take long before you realize that everything like that is just a stunt and you become deadened to it.

13. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Kinda makes you think why keep on buying eh? :lol  We're just suckers for punishment a lot of times. It kind of makes me think about the DC comic covers from the 60s and 70s, now those were just experts at making you want to read the comic inside, no need for crappy events or stunt deaths (well ok once in a while), just a smart way of portraying events inside the book to entice the average customer.

14. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

All these things you are discussing are the exact reasons you guys should start reading more Image comics.

15. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Not all Image Comics are the same though, some are very much Marvel like in terms of plot developments and stunt events i.e. Spawn, Top Cow titles and Walking Dead). I do agree they have a lot of comics treading new ground though.

16. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

IMO Spawn started to go to shit when they started fucking with his backstory and both Witchblade and Darkness are hard for me to read these days...

17. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

So they announced that Avengers Academy will be ending in November. I really hope it eventually gets relaunched later in the Marvel Now process because it's one of my favorite Marvel books right now.

I only collect 6 Marvel ongoings and 3 of them are now being cancelled.

18. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Just curious, why list Walking Dead? Because characters often die? Walking Dead is an example of modern comics doing things right.

19. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I totally agree, and unlike Marvel, any character can die at any turn of the page. In Marvel, there would have been a teaser in the monthly previews months before, and they would have just come out and announced it as the "Death of ____" issue a couple weeks before.

20. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Not just that, the plot has been getting kind of redundant, for me at least. The cycle always seems to be, survivors find a stable home, one of them turns out to be crazy/forces them to leave or some new big bad comes along, people die, they leave, repeat cycle. And yes, hyping deaths for the sake of it, is very much a Big Two staple. Earlier in its run, they never did do that sort of thing, so the surprise was all there. Walking Dead used to be one of my must read books every month, now it just feels like its going through the motions.

I wouldn't say any character. Rick so far seems untouchable. It's also wrong to say unlike Marvel, any character can die, Marvel has already killed Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Wolverine, Cyclops, Hawkeye, Gwen Stacy, Aunt May etc etc. The only difference is, Marvel has a fallback, which is they can bring them back to life or have it happen in an alternate reality/future. Also, Marvel has pretty much shown restraint these days, merely saying there'll be a big death of the sort, wait for the release date, and then news spreads on mass media. Spoiling a death months in advance does little for them. Take a look at Captain America's for example, retailers had no idea it would happen until the day they received the comics.