The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Last night I finished reading the Frank Miller/Klaus Janson run of DareDevil. Even though I have read some DD comics as a kid, they were just a bunch of random issues from what was out at the time, so this was the first time I have ever read a consistent set of issues and I have to say they were fantastic. When Miller isn't a bat shit crazy psychopath, he is a fantastic writer and the artwork was just incredible. It was also interesting to read the first time DareDevil and Kingpin actually crossed paths and the relationship that was built from that. Two of my favorite moments in the run includes one story where Foggy was acting like a gangster and stood himself up to Kingpin and another where this one guy named Pike kept getting attacked by everyone looking for Stick until he opens up his door, sees two people just tells them where Stick is because he's tired of being attacked over it. It was such a hilarious scene.

Unfortunately, the run was not perfect as there was this subplot with some girl named Heather (no idea where Karen is in all of this, but she doesn't appear even once during this run), who is the daughter of a dead business owner and Matt's girlfriend who becomes his fiancee that came out of nowhere. The worst part was they just randomly break the two up with forged letters Foggy and Black Widow wrote, which made no sense at all. Not to mention it felt very rushed.

Beyond that, the continuous plots with Bullseye and then the one with The Hand, Stick, and Elektra were all fantastic, though the book ends without DD and Elektra meeting each other after her resurrection, so that was kind of lame. In fact, the last story is just a side story between DD and a bed ridden Bullseye rather than anything grandiose. I mean, I get the series wasn't ending there, but I was hoping for something that felt like a final issue for their run.

Nevertheless, I can really see why this run elevated DareDevil into a top favorite character going forward and how it impacted the story telling of these characters later. I do hope Marvel sooner rather than later releases all of the material that followed this book in Omnibus form because the only thing I have is an Epic Collection that covers material 60 issues later and I'd rather read them all in order going forward.

Lastly, poor Turk. Hasbro should do an alternate Turk head for the upcoming Legends Stiltman figure.

3. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Uhh... wow.
    So does every relationship have to have a sexual subtext now?

4. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hate this trend so much. It's like a lot of people forget that there's a lot of different kind of loves. Hell Greek has(had) multiple words for that. So anytime you see a really close friendship in modern culture, everyone assumes it's sexual.

I understand part of the problem is representation, and the idea that the genre as a whole was so repressed that there was a lot of "wink wink nudge nudge" because legit sexual relationships could only be alluded to. But something has to give on all of this. I'd argue that it is just as essential to represent mature LBQT relationships as it is to represent mature deep friendships.

Actual real example: Ewing's recent GotG run has Marvel Boy and Herc in a relationship that is mature and pretty grounded. Cool. Then it has Richard Rider admit he loved Starlord and everyone also assumes that's sexual. But if you read that scene it does not read like that at all.

5. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  6. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Black Knight is getting a King in Black oneshot with Aero and Swordmaster from the Agents of Atlas, which is a pretty cool combination.

Edit: Jason Aaron is also back with a Valkryie miniseries that appears to be bringing Tessa Thompson's MCU character into the comics, based on the cover art. It's got Dani Moonstone on it, so it should be good.

Edit 2: Lol
    Screenshot_20201022-152907.png

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes it's dress up like an x-men day at highschool apparently.

• Like Like x 1
  8. northjason

northjason Well-Known Member

I remember when the X-Men were cooler than me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I just realized I didn’t share my thoughts on Dan Jurgens Thor. This from a week or so ago.

For me, things really got good in the second half when Thor became king following Odin’s death. And subsequently brought Asgard to Earth in order to help humanity. Man things sure went crazy after that. Thor slowly becoming more and more tyrannical, eventually leading to everything exploding and creating the dystopian future that had been teased earlier in the run.

Now I can’t help but see parallels between Desak and Gorr. And not to mention how Thor Girl came before Jane Foster’s go around.

I can’t help but wonder if the events of this run ever get subsequently referenced, because I have a feeling they don’t.

Now, I do feel like the storyline with Jake Olsen got kind of tossed aside in the latter half. Not to mention the run just up and ends after Thor travels back in to subsequently restore the other part of his soul. There’s no aftermath exploration, no reconciliation, just jumps right into the Ragnarok finale for Disassembled. Where Thor is magically back to his classic appearance at the start of it, and the prior events are only minutely referenced.

But that said, the Ragnarok finale was nothing short of epic! What a way to cap off things! Of course there’s no build up to it and it just tosses you into things, but still! I loved it!

Not to mention, Beta Ray Bill had such a badass moment when he came in and beat Fenrir into the ground! Loved his solo miniseries that followed afterward, solidified him as one of my favorite characters.

And today I just finished JMS’ run.

Suffice to say, I loved it! The way it carried itself, the art, the action, everything I just loved it. It’s just a shame it ended after three volumes... there was a reason for that wasn’t there?

I also know that the plot point of Thor’s life being tied to Mjolnir after repairing gets abandoned.

But regardless, I loved this run from start to finish. I got to see Loki in his woman phase. And I didn‘t know that Balder being Thor’s half-brother didn’t become a thing till this run.

I also read the Secret Invasion miniseries and BRB: Godhunter. The latter I enjoyed every bit as much as his last miniseries. Though I couldn’t help but note that Bill’s bonding to the dead homeless soldier was nowhere to be mentioned. Unless that was simply meant to be how he was saved from death and not bonded to Simon at all.

Well, now it’s off to read Gillen’s run. I’m have been debating wether to read the main Siege event or not with it... I’m going to go with no and save that for my Avengers read through.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  11. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Finally picked up volume 7 of Immortal Hulk and I was impressed as hell.

They genuinely made freaking Xenmu absolutely terrifying as a villain.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    So I finished Gillen’s run on Thor a few days ago. It was enjoyable. He nicely follows up JMS’ run. The Desir were quite the terrifying threat given how they seemed to be practically like a Norse version of a certain Native American creature who‘s name is considered unmentionable.

Thor pounding his android clone into the ground was pretty awesome as was his beating of Doom. I’m pretty sure Doom was afraid.

And I’m not sure if anything is going to come from Doom having a sample of Loki’s blood or Mephisto still having the Desir ring.

So up next is Matt Fraction’s run, which I’ll be reading in conjunction with Gillen’s Journey Into Mystery run. In addition to the latter crossover with New Mutants and the main Fear Itself series(which was written by Fraction so it’s practically part of his run).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Toward the end of his run Joe Quesda started dictating the storylines and made him change things. Usually for the worst that he'd been building up. This led to One more Day which he didn't really even want to write.

To quote one comic news site:

Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada had a long running dislike for Parker and MJ's marriage, believing that Spider-Man was losing touch with the hip, modern youths of the late noughties. So in a bid to make him 'relatable' again, Quesada came up with One More Day, which he planned to draw as a conclusion to J. Michael Straczynski's run on Spider-Man.

Although Straczynski was reportedly okay with erasing Parker's marriage (at least according to Quesada), the writer went on the record to state how dissatisfied he was with the comic, and how he initially wanted his name taken off the last two issues. In a now deleted post, Straczynski said the following:

"In the current storyline, there's a lot that I don't agree with, and I made this very clear to everybody within shouting distance at Marvel, especially Joe [Quesada]. I'll be honest: there was a point where I made the decision, and told Joe, that I was going to take my name off the last two issues of the OMD arc."

Would Straczynski have preferred to end his Spidey run in a different way? Quite probably, one would surmise based on this statement. Instead, he was forced to cap it off with the worst Spidey story of all time, and it takes some beating to dethrone the Clone Saga in that category.

One More Day / Trivia - TV Tropes

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  14. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    I guess that kind of answers my question...

15. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa?! They’re out to vol. 7? A buddy has been kind to let me read his issues and I’m currently up to issue 25 or 26?

I told myself that I will only collect the trades if I like the storylines...and I‘m liking what I read.

17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I'm sure he'll probably break free and head back to Earth. Though I really feel he should stay out of cosmic matters and throw himself into the espionage game again. He was meant to be Earth's greatest spy, he should live up to that.

More troubling at the moment is what Reed Richards recently did.
    Fantastic Four Gives a Major Marvel Hero Galactus' Power
    [​IMG]

Yeah, that won't rebound on you Reed.

[​IMG]
    Oh, Reed, she doesn't love your brain, she loves your spineless and extendable body.

She could always go for Namor? I don't know, but Reed and Susan don't feel like a loving couple these days IMO.

18. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  19. Mudslide

Mudslide Grieving Son, One Day at a Time.

:rolleyes: 

20. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Well, I think it’s time to unsubscribe to this thread. There really is nothing at marvel that I’m enjoying right now. And I haven’t for a while.I will stick with my back issues, and the Epic collections on the Kindle.