The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I just completed the Morbius Omnibus that came out last month. OVerall, I really enjoyed it despite it being far from perfect as it was definitely no where near Marvel's best work. The biggest issue is that Marvel clearly didn't have faith in it considering how many times they changed the writers and artists on the book, and sometimes the stories suffered immensely due to them. The worst of them being the first arc in the Adventures into Fear series which changed writers during the final two issues of that arc and the ending sucked. It made no sense at all and felt like a rushed mess. Then they did it again in the middle of the second arc for two issues, which was annoying, though, it at least still had some sort of structure to it where it didn't feel like a completely different story. The Vampire Tales run was good and I liked how Tales went for horror while Adventure into Fear went for science fiction. It made a nice balance between the two as they didn't feel repetitive due to this aspect.

Naturally, that didn't stop the Vampire Tales storyline from having some narrative flaws either as there were some scenes that made little sense or just weren't explained very well. I did like how a few of the issues replaced tradictional exposition for narration on the point of view for each character. It made reading those bits worth it as most of the time exposition in comics feels like fluff. Instead of having it say something, "Morbius leaps towards his nameless victim" it was a piece of dialog going on in Morbius' mind similarly to a soliloquy in a play. Interestingly enough, one of the tales in the book was originally written to be a Vampirella story that never happened, so the writer changed it around to be a Morbius one.

The team-up issue with Ghost Rider, Man-Thing, and Werewolf by Night was probably the worst issue in the entire book as the entire story made little to no sense and was too short for its own good. A shame to since the concept was brilliant.

The most surprising aspect for me though was how enjoyable the four She-Hulk issues within the book were. Those were the issues I was dreading as I've never had an interest in the character at all, but these four issues have changed that. If they ever collect this run into Omnibus form I might give it a read through.

In the end, Morbius has always been one of my favorite Marvel characterse and it was so nice to finally take a bite out of his pre-90s stuff even if it wasn't all as flawless as I wanted. On one hand, I am a little curious to find out how Morbius became a vampire again. On the other, I feel like what they did with him in She-Hulk was a grand finale that should have never been altered. His story should have ended there. Regardless, if they decide to do another Omnibus collecting his 90s run, I'll definitely pick it up. I do doubt that is going to happen since there is no volume number on this book, it's just called "Morbius the Living Vampire" and that is it despite that being the name of his 90s run. I guess they could always do another Omnibus on him and call it "Morbius and the Midnight Sons" or something to that extent, but I'm skeptical of that being the case. Still, it would be nice if it did happen.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  3. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  4. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Oh my god they killed Jen. You Bitches!.

Didn't she just die during the last crossover?

And this crap is why these no longer matter and aren't worth reading.

5. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Here I feel it’s justified because of the current nature of the Hulk’s. I guess this explains why She-Hulk is getting an Immortal one-shot following this.

• Like Like x 1
  6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  7. Omegashark18

News Credits:
  8. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  10. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But are we really surprised about Dr Strange? He’s really struggled to carry a book for years. They keep trying and they keep failing with it.

11. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    His last two runs lasted long enough.

But these are all clear as day cut short cancellations.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Marvel must of had the Disney Budget people come for a visit.

13. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone already posted this, but Marvel has announced they will be reprint the Captain America Jack Kirby Omnibus from when he returned to Marvel in the 70s and they'll be doing an Omnibus for Inferno.

For modern stuff, the fact that Marvel keeps canceling series after like 6 issues is why I have a problem wanting to even bother reading their current runs. They have no concept of committment anymore as they are always resetting issue numbers and canceling series instead of actually sticking with the run. I read the recent Spider-Man 2099 series and it reset its issue count twice. Like WTF? The series in total is only like 37 issues, but it goes like issues 1-12 and 1-25 or something like that. Is it so fucking hard to just keep it 1-37?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  14. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

One recent series that I hope gets the omnibus treatment is Jason Aaron’s Thor run. To me, the best Marvel run of the past decade.

I agree on the canceling, restarting, canceling that Marvel does, it does get old.

15. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    It has gotten said treatment, don’t know if it’s complete yet...

16. wheeljack01

Are you sure? It has gotten some HCs, but I haven’t seen anything besides rumors of a future Omnibus. You could be right, but I have been keeping fairly close attention to any mention of said book. I think it will happen when Thor Love and Thunder comes out.

17. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Found it, it’s Thor by Jason Aaron: The Complete Collection. It’s only two volumes so far.

• Like Like x 1
  18. wheeljack01

Yeah, unfortunately those aren’t the omnibus editions. They are nice for what they are though. I think we will see true Omnibus books for Aaron’s Thor next year around movie time.

19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  20. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I'm reading Empyre: X-Men today.

The parts that connect it to HoxPoxDox are of course, the worst parts. But the parts of it that involve Magik getting into shouting matches with horny elderly gardening commandos or when Black Tom calls Angel a "bloody himbo" are excellent.

I was talking in the Marvel Legends thread about writers/editors airing fandom grievances with their predecessors out in public. And the stuff about Wanda Maximoff since Hickman took over really bothers the hell out of me in that regard. This "pretender" bullshit reads like they just dropped by the CBR X-Men forum and asked them to make their own comic. How many times do we have to relitigate the Decimation?