The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I sometimes wonder if these guys even read the issue they're writing about. The Thing is NOT stronger than the Hulk, he just hung in there and survived, and got one final haymaker in that injured himself worse than it injured the Hulk, but it finally knocked the Hulk out, which is I presume what severed the control the Puppet Master had over him.

It's a good issue. I've read the last four or five of the current series, and I think I'm adding FF to my pull list. Haven't been a fan in the past, but between the first omnibus and the last few issues of the current series, I'm liking these characters.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Okay so, I think I only needed to read the New Mutants issues of Inferno to get what I came for, but the whole thing was good. I can only imagine what it must have been like to have been hundreds of issues deep in these stories only for everything to pop off at once.

- Jean goes down in the shuttle: 1976
    - Dark Phoenix Saga ends: 1980
    - Magik trapped in Limbo: 1982
    - Madelyne Pryor introduced: 1983
    - First mention of Sinister by name: 1986
    - Baby Cable is kidnapped: 1987
    - The X-Men "die," move to Australia: 1988
    - Inferno: 1989

So, technically speaking, this story pays off 13 years of buildup at the most charitable. 9 is perhaps the more accurate assessment.

3. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    In a lot of ways, Inferno is kind of the climax of the Claremont era of X-Men.

5. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Then what the rest of his run after?

6. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At some point it starts to struggle under the weight of the dangling plot threads. In the early days of the net I know someone maintained a list of Claremont dangling X-men plots and by the end it was substantial. There’s a reason Jim Lee was able to survive a “him or me” scenario versus Clairmont.

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Actualy, I'd say the defeat of Lady Deathbird and Shadow King is the climax as Deathbird took over the Shi'ar Empire at the start of the Brood Saga and didn't get that resolved for another 100 issues. The series makes for a perfect end with Professor X saying, "So what am I going to do with 16 X-Men?"

8. nilcam

nilcam Active Member

I think it was just her rise to becoming the Goblin Queen. The demonic influence she gained warped the people around her into more evil versions of themselves. This is most obvious when Storm kills someone/something and, when Jean asks her why she did it, she says that it's her right as leader of the X-Men.

9. Switchblade

News Credits:
    After that you the the diaspora era of the X-Men, which is weird, unfocused, and full of tentacle arms. Then you don’t get Mutant Wars, which was the next major event Claremont had been building up to before X-tinction Agenda happened instead. The last year or two of Claremont’s run was dominated more and more by him losing control as editorial’s attitude shifted from “do what you want as long as it sells” to “just give Jim Lee some cool stuff to draw.” Claremont famously hated to lose control of the X-Men; he nearly quit when X-Factor and the return of Jean Grey happened. Inferno was the culmination of a lot of the plot threads he’d started throughout the 80s and one of the last times where he was truly in the driver’s seat.

Claremont already had one foot out the door during the Muir Island Saga. He didn't even finish writing it because he was busy doing the scripting for the launch of Adjectiveless. Fabian Niceiza wrote most of the final issue of that crossover.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  10. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I read up on this over lunch time. It's fascinating stuff. A real shame the way things worked out, it doesn't seem like anyone really wanted it to happen. I had never heard of Mutant Wars, but it's interesting that Marvel Editorial has now kneecapped two very intriguing "mutant vs" stories before they came to fruition but after they made it to marketing (the other was Inhumans vs X-Men; I've long held that Charles Soule could be the next Chris Claremont if industry culture still allowed a writer to stay on for 100+ issues, and the editors stayed out of his hair).

Speaking of Claremont, here's a pic I recently took in my display, of the comic I got him to sign. It's probably the least prestigious comic he signed that day, but I still like it.
    IMG_20190815_190846.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Switchblade

News Credits:
    If you're really into learning more about the history of the X-Men, I cannot recommend the Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men podcast enough. It's a great deep dive into the history of the franchise.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I'll check it out. I'll be caught up on 2 years of MBMBAM by Christmas and will need a new Podcast backlog to get me through working nights.

13. nilcam

nilcam Active Member

Thanks for this. I'm all caught up on my other podcasts and this seems really fun. I'm mostly caught up with older X-Men continuity but,as mentioned, I stopped reading X-Men in the 90s and picked back up with Peter David's X-Factor in the early 2000s. It's still wierd to me that people pronounce Xavier as Ex-avier. I grew up in New Orleans and Xavier University is there and it's pronounced Zavier. Shrug.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Don't take this the wrong way but New Orleans pronounces a lot of things funny.

As for podcasts, I recommend the Uncanny X-Cast. Two friends -- one who is steeped in the minutia of X-continuity, and the other who kind of comes at it fresh -- review each issue of Uncanny (and later all related books) starting from issue #1, as well as current x-books at the time the podcasts came out.

15. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

That's weird, I've never once heard a person from South LA say it that way.

No, it is everyone else that pronounces every funny.

But all this Claremont talk makes ready for Uncanny omnibus vol 4 now. It's way past overdue.

16. nilcam

nilcam Active Member

Fair point. But I escaped without an accent because, at 12, I decided it sounded bad. Also, xylophone isn't pronounced ex-ylophone.

17. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

So I started the second volume to the Clone Saga and right off the bat I am absolutely lost. I don't even feel like this is even the same story right now. First, we have MJ who is like screaming her head off at Peter because she thinks their child is going to be deformed due to his blood as if it is his fault. Then The Traveler takes Peter to the future to show NYC in ruins, but tells him he will protect MJ so Peter can just do what he wants. However, it's the Traveler's minions that are going to blow up NYC. Huh? That makes no sense. Oh, and The Traveler can't tell his minions to stop because reasons. o_O  Anyway, something happens and it turns out it is The Traveler himself who is going to blow up NYC by accident as he created a nuclear paradox or some shit like that. You still with me here? :lol  Peter pulls The Traveler out of the paradox and it disappears despite Scrier just on the last panel saying NYC was going to explode whether The Traveler was in there or not. What the freaking fucking frig just happened?

Oh, and the detective dude that arrested Peter says he knows Peter is innocent, but they're still going to let Peter go to trial.

What the hell am I reading? What the hell happened between volumes? What the hell is even going on? I mean before it felt like they were just shooting darts at a board for what was going to happen in this arc and suddenly in two issues I feel like they crumbled up their list of ideas and are trying to just write new ideas on top of the crumbled paper.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    English is filled with examples of words pronounced differently than similarly spelled words. What are the chances the entire rest of the world is wrong and only people in southern Louisiana know what's up? Slim.

19. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    And words that are spelt the same, but pronounced differently. Like Live and Live and Lead and lead, plus LOADS of others.

Examples;
    I saw the Foos Live at Glastonbury. I love the life I live.
    &
    He lead me to the place where I could find lots of ex-roof lead

Anyway, has anyone noticed that the House/Powers of X hype machines have stepped it up again. I'm following it to completion, but right now I still don't see how it'll all fit into the current reality. The way I see it right now is that they're stories from alternate realties.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. nilcam

nilcam Active Member

I definitely don't mean to imply that. My point is that growing up near Xavier University makes it weird for me to hear Professor X's name pronounced the way it is in all X-Men media. In a conversation with a friend in high school, he referred to the University as Zavier and the professor as Ex-avier and, when I asked why, he said it was because the professor leads the X-Men so you have to pronounce the X. That cracks me up. And, yes, English is a hacked up language.

I'm really enjoying Hickman's titles and have no idea where they're going. I'm just here for the ride. The artists on the titles are killing it as well. I don't read a lot of modern comics - Daredevil, Deadly Class, and Heathen are my monthly titles - but these X books have me giddy every Wednesday!