The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    The mention of the haircut reminds me of how quickly Captain Marvel grew her hair back in the current Avengers.

Just like that? What made it so good?

Apparently this is the highest body count for the X-Men in their entire history. Well, once you hit rock bottom there’s no way to go but up, and Hickman’s track record is a good indicator of that. Here’s hoping that’s the case.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm not sure. Maybe it's because I listen to Jay and Miles Xplain the X-Men, but seeing them together again just brought back memories of all the good, pre-Morrison times and I was all "hell yeah, let's do this!"

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Maybe they understood Steve Rude can't do a monthly project. He never could. The last time I remember him even trying at Marvel, he bailed out of a 6-issue mini that was heavily promoted under his name at issue 3, leaving them completely in the lurch. Even his own co-creation Nexus, he bailed for great stretches of time, couldn't go too many issues without having a fill-in artist, and could only complete a 3-issue mini with a year or more lead time. I love Steve Rude, but he's not a timely artist. He's too much of a perfectionist to ever do a monthly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    He’s that good?

5. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    He's like a fine artist who happens to do comics. But his style may not be for everyone today. Imagine a combination of Russ Manning and Norman Rockwell, with just a bit of Kirby thrown in. If you get a chance, give Nexus a try. One of the best written, best drawn series to come out of the entire 1980s.

[​IMG]

Weird, imaginative, and multi-layered.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Is it Kassidy or Kasady? I ask because I always thought it was Kassidy but the Clone Saga books have it spelled Kasady.

Anyway, this is all I am thinking with that headline:

"Carnage is one badass mother ****er. I love how he will just out right kill people and how... wait, DID HE JUST KILL A CAT?! YOU BASTARD!!! I HATE YOU!!!!"

8. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

The Marvel Knights 2099 event was such a let down. Timestorm 2009-2099 wasnt great either. Secret Wars 2099 was ok but felt like it was a different 2099 universe.

Hope they use the 2099 comics designs. Gonna be good to see those characters again.

Still wished they used the blue flame for Danny.

Annihilation II...cause why not, they've done IIs for a few of the previous events.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shame as Annihilation was one of their best events. It came out at the same time as Civil War and was so much better. I’m very concerned about a second go at that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    It’s one I’m looking forward to reading. Though I honestly have no idea what they plan on doing here.

Cates has taken the slot that was filled by Jim Starlin, then Abbett & Lanning. He’s the go to cosmic writer for Marvel right now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There’s some ground there to explore. Hickman follows up on Abnett and Lanning in F4 and Avengers. He restored Annihilus to control of the Negative Zone and leaves a negative zone gate in the hands of Annihilus at the end of Infinity. Unfortunately Hickman wasn’t able to follow those threads running up to Secret Wars and I don’t think anyone else grabbed those threads either.

14. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  15. Omegashark18

News Credits:
  16. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Technically this is Annihilation 3 as they already did a “II” in Annihilation Conquest :) 

Agree, the story was solid and the build up done in tie ins were all relevant. The Annihilation series are some of my favorite Marvel Cosmic stories.

Im just hoping Cates will be able to write this properly and not be heavily dictated because of corporate given we already have the sprawling Absolute Carnage and now this. I think the original Annihilation was so good bec they were given a lot of free reign.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    And I think they were given free rein because I think they thought no one would care about Annihilation. But once it caught on the way it did, goodbye free rein.

18. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I dunno about that - I think the sales on the ongoings after that (Nova and Guardians for example) never really caught on, and while they did have that crossover with the X-Men, it still felt like they were telling the story they wanted, heck they ended up killing Nova and Star-Lord along with Thanos in their big finale.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    That was The Thanos Imperative right?

Then Bendis came along and screwed everything up evidently(as I keep hearing).

• Like Like x 2
  20. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yes, they ended a lot of their story threads with it, ending Nova and Guardians going into it. Technically DnA did get another book in the Annihilators, which had an interesting concept as being composed of some of the more powerful cosmic beings the Marvel Universe had to offer, but that didn't last long either because of low sales.

I'm going to be fair to Bendis in that it's most likely that Marvel really dropped this on his lap because he was Marvel's go to writer at the time, and that he had to come up with ways to make the Guardians reflect the still in production GotG movie, and then had to drastically change everything again when the actual movie didn't exactly reflect what he wrote previously. Given that he's not really a strong sci fi writer to begin with, and has a really really strong tendency to hand wave things he doesn't like/understand/follw, well you can imagine how a lot of the fans from the Annihilation era really didn't take well to his GotG book.

I also imagine Marvel wanted someone to reflect the humor that the GotG movie is known for, and Bendis can write humor, it's just that he was saddled with unfamiliar characters in a sci territory where he's not exactly strong at - which is probably why he had to go out of his way to put in characters he has stronger affinities for - Kitty Pryde, the Thing and even Agent Venom to keep them grounded, something that you'll note was never really needed during the Annihilation era.

• Like Like x 3