The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
  2. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
  3. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's gotten to the point where if you like the source material, you almost don't want the movie to succeed, because if it does, the source material will be changed to match it.

4. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Haha true, that is one great answer! One of the best posts I've ever read :lol 

5. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Marvel NOW! Mark Waid And Leinil Yu On Incredible Hulk?

Another of the new books - Mark Waid and Leinil Yu on Incredible Hulk. I'm a big fan of Waid's after his stellar runs on Captain America, FF, Spidey and Daredevil. Looking forward to seeing what he'll do with the Hulk.

6. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

That white FF suit looks sexy on Sue...*don't judge me!* and Scarlett Witch is finally coming back awesome!

7. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

The thing that bugs me the most of when Marvel hypes their next big "event" is that it almost always spoils the event that is currently going on.

A vs X, which I was actually enjoying has lost it's luster since I know that the two teams are going to make up at the end and even have a mixed team in the new "Uncanny Avengers" title.

I guess Marvel has always done this. We all knew how Siege was going to end after Marvel started advertising their "Heroic Age" titles in the middle of it with Norman Osbourne nowhere to be found.

I understand that marketing is a big deal for Marvel, and that their #1 issues always outsell the other issues in said run, but it would be nice if they at least pretended to care about letting the fans enjoy what they're reading instead of ruining it to promote their next big thing.

8. Star Saber

News Credits:
    The thing is, it's the nature of comic book operations now. 20 years ago, this sort of info wouldn't really leak to the fans because most of the information is with the retailer (barring a few comic related publications). He has to know what's coming up in order to place his orders. However, with the huge influence the internet is now, that sort of information is available to everyone, and not just to those who search for it, if it's any sort of sensational information, it will make it to the frontpages of comic web sites or social networks. The thing you're wanting though has its drawbacks in that sense. Remember Fallen Son after Civil War? Marvel intentionally hid the information, and when the news came out what it was all about, retailers didn't have enough stocks to serve the fans, and fans complained they couldn't get issues. There's just no pleasing people :p 

There's also the practice of Marvel though, of practically returning stuff to status quo. They can't have their major heroes treating each other as villains. Take a look at Civil War's results. Sure the Cap's Avengers had their tiffs with Stark's Avengers, but that went away quickly and you can expect the same here.

9. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  10. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, Salvador Larocca's art has been kinda stiff lately. Greg Land won't be too different. Looking forward to the writing though.

As for Uncanny X-Force, we don't even know if there will be an X-Force post Marvel NOW.

11. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure I read an interview with Remender in the last week and he mentioned X-Force continuing, but said nothing on if he was staying on the title.

Can't totally disagree with Larocca's art, certainly not as good from when he started on Iron Man, but he's still leagues ahead of anything Land can come out with.

12. Star Saber

News Credits:
    From Marvel's press release

After over a decade breaking records in the Avengers and Spider-Man corners of the Marvel Universe, Brian Bendis sets his sights on the X-Men with a concept so high it could touch Asteroid M.

Seriously? Time travelling X-Men is high concept?

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I guess that guy never saw Exiles. Or, you know, DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.

14. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

They always say shit like that when they're hyping stories.

15. Star Saber

News Credits:
    In fairness though, Exiles was about dimension hopping X-Men, but yeah time displaced heroes seeing the future they're destined or supposedly destined to have isn't anything new, we've seen it in Green Lantern - Emerald Knights, JLA/Avengers, Teen Titans - Titans Tomorrow, Bendis' early Avengers storyline etc.

I know, but this one's just plain silly.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I've never been all that into Marvel, but much like DC's new 52, this'll give me the chance to get into at least one comic book. If I get any of the "Marvel Now" stuff, it'll be Thor. He's easily my favorite Marvel character, and really the only one that I have enough interest in to seriously consider getting into the comics for him.

17. Star Saber

News Credits:
    A bunch of announcements lately

Remender and Romita Jr on Captain America
    Fraction and Bagley on Fantastic Four
    X-Men Legacy by Spurrier and Huat

18. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I'm pretty sure the add for "Legacy" is actually the New Mutants reboot.

19. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Well looks like it will focus on Legion, Prof X's son. Unusual choice for a lead character, given his history.

20. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Yeah, I saw the interview on Newsarama. Sadly, I'm a lot less interested in picking up that title now.