The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

It seems to be a prerequisite now.......I’m waiting for the likes of Leland, half the Acolytes (Chrome, Mellancamp), Kamikaze, Reaper, the Dark Riders (the Marauders have been cloned maybe a dozen times already).......I’d laugh if Sinister has a army of clones he fields just as Age of X-Man ends (right now even with X-Force, Cable, Gambit and Rogue the X-Men are woefully outnumbered).......guess we’ll have to wait until July (or the solicits that reveal if the other X Books are released at the same time as Hickman’s 2 Mini Series ‘)

2. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Kitty Pryde was considered dead for a few years, though she never technically died the way it all played out. I think the same can be said about Magneto based on which Austin-Era Xorn retcon you subscribe to.

3. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I’ve heard about that whole mess. What comics did that occur in?

4. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Xorn was introduced in Morrison's run, and the reveal that Xorn was actually Magneto in disguise was also in that run, setting up the final arc of that era in which Magneto gets addicted to steroids and turns Manhattan into a concentration camp for humans (and also yells at one of his henchmen for calling a carrot a fruit).

It was after Morrison left that it became apparent there was a real Xorn, and they could have just left it there and said that Magneto was impersonating someone. (This is where I had to refresh my memory). No, in fact the new Xorn was the old Xorn's brother, and the old Xorn was being mind controlled into pretending that he was Magneto pretending to be himself. So Magneto was not actually involved in Morrison's X-Men run at all, and in fact had not died. And because of the overcrowded publishing schedule of the period, those two Revelations - that Magneto was still alive and that Xorn was a real dude - occurred in the same month in different books by different writers. This all happened in the span of a few months of Morrison's ending too. And then, because in 2005 it was the trendy thing to do, they just said "fuck it, Scarlet Witch subconsciously created a duplicate of her father with her reality altering powers, and that was Xorn, so stop asking." Only nobody did, and even later editors didn't care for it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rattrap Primal

Morrison in some ways started the whole “Cyclops becomes a dick” trend (psychic affair with Emma, not getting to reveal if Scott chose Jean or Emma as he Jean was killed off (again, and a death that lasted until what a year ago?), making out with Emma in Jean’s grave (after Jean in the future nudged Scott into “living” and somewhat alienating many of the other X-Men, as well as the fans madness maybe former writers, and later writers where bound by the “Dead is Dead” rule that Marvel had at the time). Yes, Phoenix Resurrection conformed that Jean still considers herself married (though if one goes by real world laws, they would have to get re married as the OG 616 Cyclops was replaced by a New 616 Post Secret Wars and Adult Jean was Dead for maybe almost 20 Years this time per X-Men Editors), though I don’t think they revealed if Scott knows Jean was back before Age of X-Man started (I know when he first came back he vaguely remembered his brief revival, then there was the repressed memories from the All New X-Men’s Time in present day......).......guess we’ll have to wait and see in July’s Age of X-Man Omega, Uncanny X-men# 23(?) and House of X........) that prevailed until very recently (I’m sure the recton would be that Emma was super-deep undercover for the Hellfire Club, a Cover so good that no Telepath’s caught on mind you, and she subtly manipulated Cyclops into betraying both the love of his life as well as Xavier’s Principles, and the Cover was so good she even became the mask)

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    deserved

• Like Like x 1
  7. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Morrison’s run on X-men left behind a lot of messes.

I’ve found Morrison to be the definition of brilliant: half his stuff is amazing, half is total crap, and there is literally no in between. His JLA run is the definitive take IMHO, but he’s got a lot of stuff I’m not a fan of at all.

8. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you read his Green Lantern run out of interest? It seems quite interesting from what I've read so far...

9. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    The better way to do it would have been to say Magneto was the one being controlled by Sublime during Planet X, and then just bring him back to life closer to House of M, maybe just say that Scarlet Witch did. That way you shift the blame for all the people he murdered off of Magneto himself (one of the main editorial mandates behind the retcons) and then Xorn's brother shows up (the other mandate).

I think people like Emma/Scott too much to do that, though I do agree that Status Quo Ex Machina will eventually start forcing Jean and Scott's love parallelogram into the spotlight again now that all parties are alive again.

10. Rattrap Primal

I’d be surprised if they didn’t (Though now we have Wolverine and wasn’t Bishop showing an interest during Disassembled? This is why I kinda hope Uncanny ships in July as a epilogue to Age of X-Man and set up to House/ Powers of X, which isn’t up on Pre order yet on kindle I think)......it probably will now that Marvel is doing the Back to Basics approach (which is probably why both Scott and Jean came back, as well as Hulk, Wolverine, Spider-Man’s relationship with Mary Jane, the Avengers having both the Big Three and stalwart Members, She Hulk, Black Panther (Chairman), Captain Marvel, and why I figure Post Age of X-Man the X-Men would probably go back to the Blue/ Gold team dynamic.......Marvel is trying to reverse some of their more questionable editorial ideas when it came to the last few years....)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Morrison piggy backed that from Claremont. He hooks up with forgot her name human a mere weeks to month after Jean died. Married a woman because she looked identical to then dead Jean. Abandoned her and his son the moment he learned real Jean was back.

12. Rattrap Primal

Yeah, but with Emma, Scott was still recovering from being merged with Apocalypse and maybe went back to active duty too soon (and the fact Jean was starting to exhibit Phoenix Powers again somehow) while he perhaps should have gone to Doc Samson or the Professor to talk things over, and maybe talked things over with Jean.....

I know it still doesn’t absolve Scott on how he handled Madelyn back then (I so see either Madelyn or Emma taunting Scott over this the next time he encounters them.....)

13. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm actually surprised Marvel still lets Ka-Zar and Shanna keep those outfits. I figured Shanna would be covered up like her previous 3 3/4 scale retail Legends action figure was. I mean, I prefer these classic jungle outfits by far, just surprised.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    What I always wanted was a Thomas/Ordway Invaders/All-Star Squadron crossover. I don't think DC is in a position to even have an All-Star Squadron in their current version of continuity, but I still hope for one before time runs out on Roy Thomas.

But another part of me is hoping Thomas is teamed up with a newer writer who can help smooth things out for an audience who wants to read something with a more natural pace and something that reads less like filling in holes on a wikipedia page.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

So what's the answer? X-Men being militant and super-aggressive really puts me off the concept. It actually makes me wonder if in the MU people aren't right to distrust mutants.
    I still hate how they've decided mutants and humans are different species now. Wolverine didn't like that talk back in the graphic novel, and I don't like it now.
    Guess I'm too old for current Marvel.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I agree the answer isn't to be militant and aggressive. But there's a difference between actually working towards something constructively & proactively and being militant.

I can tell you that the answer is not to hide who you are and wait for bigotry to magically go away on its own, which is all Xavier's plan ever was.

18. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah. While this isn't from the comics (my Marvel knowledge lacks compared to DC), it flies against one of my personal favorite moments from the 90s cartoon.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rattrap Primal

A lot of it was from the time that Marvel put the X-Men and Mutants in general on the back burner in favor of making Inhumans a thing (which, well, failed) but now Marvel is starting to walk things back a bit (Spider-Man as the face of the company, X-Men returning to prominence, after the bulk of the team returns in July, actually creating new Mutant Characters, reviving many characters who where gone for a bit (Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine......which means the Summers love triangle is back soon)). So soon they’ll probably have someone in Universe say that Mutants are humans too and defuse half the anti Mutant programs .......

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1