The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

You're getting a lot of the pre code and post code industry all mixed up. Flash and GL were a response to the code, because those popular genres of romance and horror disappeared because of the code. And the big three were not the only super hero comics not cancelled.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Looks and sounds like this could be interesting. I think I'll at least pick up the first issue. Maybe now we can get a figure of him with the metal arm.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No monster and Sci books were still big after the comics code. Groot, Fin Fang Foom and many other famous Marvel Monsters were created during the time period between Superheros losing popularity and coming back. As I said monster/Sci-fi not Horror books. Horror and most True Crime disappeared after the code. Romance was still going strong. Jack Kirby for instance was drawing young romance between 1949 and 54. He then went and did Monster books I think till they did the FF. They were allowed as long as they followed certain rules. You know the good guys always win, no graphic violence, no sex etc.

Yes there were other Super Hero's around Captain Marvel was more popular than Superman back then. But for Dc before the Reboot those were the big 3 names still around.

[Yes that is apparently the same Groot from Guardians. ]

4. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    The Infamous Iron Man
    will probably be Doom wonder how long till they have him team up with the Superior Spider-manSo we will have two Iron Men and neither will be Tony?

So who do you think will be on Dr Strange's new team?

5. Galvatross

Galvatross Dreklord of Ogremarr Veteran

Okay, that would make more sense. I have no problem with that.

6. smkspy

Fair enough on the romance, though it was toned down heavily post code. Likewise your examples are are also toned down sci-fi horror tales. They specifically leave banned words that the code made illicit.

But really sci-fi was never that big of a genre in comics. Take EC for example, their sci-fi books were among the best in the industry, yet it was then publishers lowest selling titles. Gaines kept them around simply because of his love for the genre. Sci-Fi by the 50s had become the domain of movies and television.

Likewise, romance started to die off because of television particularly the transition of soap operas from radio to screen.

my main point though was that those genre were at their peak pre code and afterwards lost their appeal because of the restrictions put on them. In that sense, it's more accurate to say that the fad for those books was pre code and the revival of Superheros in the late 50s and early 60s was the response of the publishers being limited by the code.

7. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

It's a little more convoluted and intermingled than folks realize. There was no clear separation between horror and monsters and Silver Age. Most of the things mentioned above were occurring concurrently with the dawn of Silver Age Super Heroes. You can say that SciFi wasn't popular, but the flash points that are largely viewed as the beginnings of the Silver Age, Challengers of the Unknown and Fantastic Four were really SciFi books. The Silver Age was really the creators at Marvel and DC working through the mental journey to where they managed to combine SciFi and Horror comics with the colorful recognizable and marketable characters and IP of Super heroes. The anthology books were great when you were fighting over a kids meager nickles. You gave them a few stories for value. But by the 60's disposable income had risen sharply. The publishing money was to be found in the steady repeat customers coming back month after month to see what happened next.

We tend to forget that so many of the Silver Age comics luminaries were essentially refugees from Madisson Ave. Post War Ad Men who had grown disillusioned with the industry. We are so very lucky that Stan Lee fell into comics, because he was just far far to good at advertising and marketing. he has a unique gift at distilling things down to their most basic element that drives consumers. Be grateful he never wanted to sell cigarettes or worse, and instead was content to sell characters stories and ideas.

But Lee was still at heart a very very good marketing guy. he understood the "bring em back next month" approach probably better than anyone had prior in comics publishing. That's what led to what we now call the Silver Age. The massive shared universes. The more Soap Opera approach to comics. It's where and why Marvel grabbed the lead in comic publishing back then.

8. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  9. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Just kind of sounds like a Superior Spider-Man rip-off. Villain takes over the role of a hero, tries to do the hero thing better than the original hero.

The Marvel universe is almost unrecognizable these days, imo.

10. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    That's true - it really seems the last few years for Marvel have been huge attempts at replacements. To date:

Superior Spider-Man (Otto Octavius)
    Thor (Jane Foster)
    Captain America (Sam Wilson)
    Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes)
    Wolverine (X-23)
    Hulk (Amadeus Cho)
    Iron Man (Riri Williams & Doctor Doom)
    X-Men (with the Original X-Men and the Inhumans)

Most have been pretty much a miss for me. I've only found Superior Spidey and Thor to be good reads. While I hope Bendis does well with his new titles, not really expecting much since his Iron Man has been terrible for me, and so has his Civil War.

11. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Dr Doom is traditionally Mr Fantastic's nemesis, but I suppose now that the Fantastic Four are being dismantled (Johnny Storm with the Inhumans, Ben Grimm with the Guardians, etc) he can work out as Tony Stark's rival and counterpart.

It should be fine so long as he keeps his egomaniac anti-heroic persona that makes him so appealing (he's like Marvel's Vegeta, only older and better).

12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

It's not like this is the first time they have done this. I mean, we have had Ben Reily, Danny Ketch, Eric Masterson, etc. Hell, at one point we had Ghost Rider, Spidey, Wolverine, and Hulk as the Fantastic Four.

13. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Not all at the same time, though. Masterson was already done being Thor by the time Reilly showed up, for example. This is the first time they have changed so many heroes at the same time, I believe. Look at the original Avengers line-up in its current form, not one of those characters is the same outside of Steve, but even then Sam is using the name too.

Thor is Jane.
    Hulk is Cho.
    Hank Pym is now Ultron, Giant Man is a new character altogether.
    Wasp is now someone completely different, I believe.
    Cap is either Sam or Steve, but even Steve isn't really the same with this triangle shield.
    Iron Man is now Riri (I think that's her name?) and Doom.

Rumor is that Hawkeye and Black Widow will soon be different people too.

14. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Dc did a lot of this in the early 90's

Batman was Jean Paul Valley
    Green Lantern was Kyle Rayner
    Green Arrow was Connor Hawke
    Wonder Woman was Artemis
    There were 4 supermen then Blue and RED ones.
    Aquaman lost his arm and went Hardcore

They also had a nasty habit of killing off or crippiling the old versions.

It's never lasts, and eventually a more classic version returns.

But it was new then, so more readers were interested.

Now it comes off as what it is, a formula and we all know it won't last long unless for some reason it really clicks with audiences.

Eventually though there will be some story that barely makes any sense how they come back to life are healed and eventually the replacement vanishes and becomes an after thought. Except for the rare ones that manage to stick around.
    Connor is gone
    Artemis rarely shows up
    Steel isn't used much
    Kon-El is dead in the new 52
    Henshaw isn't the current cyborg superman
    Eradicator rarely appears
    Red and Blue are gone
    Jean Paul Valley has been replaced by another Azreal
    Aquaman has returned to his classic look.

Of those only Kyle is still around and he isn't being used very much recently.

15. smkspy

Kyle went full white lantern. You never go full white lantern.

And yeah, this is just rinse and repeat.

And one thing that marked a lot of the character changes back then was that nobody in universe knew the character had changed. Every thought Masterson was the real Thor. Very few knew it was actually Rhodey in the Iron Man suit and not Tony. For a long time we were lead to believe that Ghost Rider might really be Zarathos (sp?).

Today, it's all "hey I'm the new guy replacing the old guy but think of me as the same character."

And lol at the New Fantastic four example. That lasted a whole two issues and gained infamy because of a cool trading card. In fact, I think those 90s trading card sets were a heavy influence on a lot of us that grew up in that era. Collecting the comics and getting the cards related to them really help cement our views about both universes. I especially loved series 2 and 3 of the Marvel Universe cards. And the DC series that featured individual cards for the golden, silver, and modern age versions of the characters. Oh, and the first xmen set that was all drawn by Jim lee.

16. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Man the Fantastic Four were a mess in the 90s. Thing's weird helmet he wore, Sue's crazy outfit, I remember Human Torch would go nova and torch things and got involved with a Skrull. Reed died and then they searched for him and found an evil Reed or something? Ugh. Then they changed the name to "The Fantastic Three" :lol 

I think Franklin came back from the future as a teenager too at some point and Ant-Man was a member for a ton of issues.

This cover is just too 90s:

[​IMG]

17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Ah the 90's where 1/2 the marvel teams wore leather jackets of some sort.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well she was getting controlled by her infinity war clone so you can forgive her for that. Don't forget the FF have over 8 members at one point before heroes reborn!

19. smkspy

I enjoyed that period in fantastic four. You never knew what was going to happen. That was an awesome.moment when wolverine disfigured thing. And torch ' s wife can now be viewed as a precursor to Secret Invasion.

One of my favorite Avengers teams too.

And that was crossovers done right back then. Sure there were tie in issues, but not every book had to tie in nor were they mandatory reading with the exception of Silver Surfer for Infinity Gauntlet.

20. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So I started reading the Spiderman/Deadpool series, and finally a Deadpool series that doesn't suck, it's been quite a while. After the disappointment that was Cable and Deadpool: Split Second, this is just what the character needed.