The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thanks, but at the moment I'm going to stay in the 80s and 90s since those are the teams and stories I liked the best (and growing on some of them helped). I can't wait for the X-Cutioner Song paperback to come out at the end of the year as my brother stole all of the remaining comics (among other things) I had in my parent's attic and sold them to a pawn shop for drug money, and that entire storyline was one of them (along with all of the original Jim Lee issues).

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

You should just get the three omnibus uncannys that have all of that stuff from claremont.

And eh, these temp replacements are okay, but they're a large part that I just don't read comic now. Yeah, many of the A list guys have been replaced in the past, but I think this is the first time that I ever remembered just about all of them being replaced at nearly the same time.

The big name can sell the movies, they just can't sell enough of the comics.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Finally got my copy of Gwenpool #3. Really enhoyable read, but I wouldhave gotten this issue even if I wasn't following the title. The Totorro cover is too good to pass up.

Doctor Strange's bit in this issue was cool. Especially with the not to Cumberbatch.

4. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Umm, The books I posted are from the 80s and 90s.

Have you read God Loves Man Kills or the Generation X Trades? You might like those. The Original Wolverine trade (with the x-men showing up for the last part) is good to. As is the AOA books.

https://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Cl...45920&sr=1-9&keywords=wolverine+graphic+novel

https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-God-Lo...944&sr=1-1&keywords=x-men+god+loves+man+kills

https://www.amazon.com/Generation-X...467845973&sr=1-2&keywords=generation+x+marvel

https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Comple...=1467846020&sr=1-2&keywords=age+of+apocalypse

5. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Yea, that's what I mean about it not being organic -- it seems like every month now, another hero just gets replaced, there is a giant press release about it, Marvel touts how diverse they are, and it feels like the story is just an afterthought.

Duke Thomas is how you do it right, imo:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06...n-rebirth-1-so-what-is-he-new-costume-reveal/

It all felt very organic and was well-developed, again imo. It wasn't just "here's a new character and in two months he'll be Robin / Batman #dealwithit" I'm all for expanding the legacy but it just feels so forced with Marvel.

6. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I'm with you. I never liked the Silver age replacements. I too liked a lot of the late 80's early 90's replacement characters. It's a shame they took a step back at DC.

I can also understand the criticism that a lot of these updates don't feel organic and feel like there is an agenda being pushed on the readers. I don't necessarily agree with that notion, but I get why the criticism is there.

I can't disagree with this. You've got an interesting take on this situation.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I don't mind replacements, I just like to ease into them and read about it organically not have press releases months before the story actually happens.
    They introduced the character a couple issues ago, and she has had very little page time, I don't even know if I like her yet, but now I know Tony will be gone and she's taking over. So do I hold out and wait to find out if it will work well, or do I just jump ship now and wait for reviews and by the trades later, as she wasn't the reason I was reading the current Iron Man books.

These days I'm hardly ever surprised as most twists by Marvel have a press release. Sadly DC too often. The other problem is often the changes seem to be just so they can make a change and attract readers, but the writing rarely holds up. Occasionally you have something work like Miles or the new Ms. Marvel, but more often than not the way it's announced and handled drive away more readers than the titles attracts.

As Roufuss says Duke is a good example of the right way to do it, Mr. Teriffic in the old JSA, and the Aqualad from Brightest day are others

8. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I can't afford Omnibus stuff. Way too out of my price range.

Odd, because Amazon is telling me some of them are from 63 and 68.

My g/f has the Age of Apocalypse books.

9. Gaastra

News Credits:
    None of them are from the 60s. Fall of the mutants was 80s hands down.

[​IMG][/IMG]

10. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Yeah most of those arcs were around or a couple years after the phoenix Saga. I'd also recommend the xtinction agenda

11. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, I looked more into it and you are right. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at more of those later on in the year.

I've read the first two issues in the Dark Phoenix book and I never knew Shadowcat and Dazzler were introduced in this arc. It also seems like this might be the first appearance of the Hellfire Club.

The story so far is good, but I feel like I've missed a lot of it by just jumping into the end of the Phoenix storyline.

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I can try and see both sides; but I'd like to see better reasons than to be progressive.
    It gets me riled up when a white is cast in a minority characters role and it's evil whitewashing.
    However when you put a minority in the role of the previously white it must be defended to the death. I hate double standards.

Let's see a Lilly white, red-headed Jamie Rhodes start flying the War Machine suit.

13. Gaastra

News Credits:
    The US Avengers as a group.

[​IMG][/IMG]

14. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

It is sort of weird. Especially with DC doing Rebirth and bringing back a lot of characters, while still finding a way to makes things different.

I'd be more interested if Marvel did a Rebirth... especially if it meant taking the X-Men back to the early '90s in design and tone. Very unlikely, I know, but that's what I need to care about Marvel Comics.

I'm pretty sure she's going to operate as if it's Tony in the Iron Man suit, and not reveal the truth. So, that's why it's Iron Man and not Iron Woman.

15. Gaastra

News Credits:

Again welcome to the 1960s. DC and even some of marvel just replaced many of their main heroes and we never saw the replacements before they replaced them. Did we see barry in the flash before he took over? No. He just took over. Bet the comic readers of the 60s got angry!

16. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Well, to be fair, comics were in a huge decline at that point, and most of the Silver-age characters were brought into the mix to save the industry. That's not exactly the same as what's happening here.

Not only that, but they effectively created an entirely new universe for the new characters of that time. Barry was still inspired by Jay Garrick, it was just that Garrick/Flash was his favorite comic book character instead of his actual mentor (which was the retcon later on).

My only problem with these "new and improved" characters is that it pushes aside the characters the fans want to read about. It's not giving them an option of being able to read about their preferred characters. It's almost as if Marvel is telling the fan that they don't know what they want, and they should like these new characters lest they be labelled a bigot.

I wrote it earlier, I don't necessarily agree with that position, but I can absolutely understand why some fans hold that position It's not that they're against diversity or new characters, it's that they're bothered by these new characters being pushed (for what essentially boils down to a stunt) while the characters they prefer get pushed to the sidelines.

The same thing happened with Kyle Rayner. Kyle is my favorite GL, always has and always will, but I absolutely understand the argument that people bring up that he was the "new hip guy" that no one asked for. People wanted to read about Hal. They didn't want Kyle. There was a push-back against the character. There were fan-sites created that lambasted Kyle Rayner. The guy who made him up got death threats. This isn't a bigoted position that the fans hold, it's a position of wanting to read about their preferred characters.

17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Odinson's Future Unfolds In Marvel's "Unworthy Thor" by Aaron, Copiel | Comic Book Resources

[​IMG]

You can't keep a good Odinson down -- even if he is unworthy. After being deemed unfit to wield Mjolnir and the power of Thor, the Odinson struck out on his own as another assumed the mantle of the Mighty Thor. Now the former Thor will once again headline a new series -- this time called, appropriately, "Unworthy Thor."

Finally we get to see what happens with the original Thor!

18. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    As Go Lion said comics were on the decline, many of the titles they were replacing had already been cancelled.
    Alan Scott's last appearance before the silver age was in 1951
    Hal first showed up in 1959
    That's 8 years with no Green lantern
    Jay was last published the same year
    Barry showed up in 1956.
    So 5 years an no title published.
    The only big superhero titles not cancelled were Superman,Batman, and Wonder Woman(If it's ever cancelled and not rebooted the next month DC loses the Copyright on WW so they won't ever cancel it)
    Romance, Humor, and Sci-Fi/ Monster comics were more popular at the time.
    There was a lot more variety back then, even more before the comics code.
    Back then it was more of let's try something new to revive these concepts and attract new readers. They didn't replace a character that was currently being published and already had a loyal fan base.

19. Gaastra

News Credits:
    OK. Got it. Thanks for the info guys.

Also cover for great lakes avengers ongoing. Love the WCA like letters for the title.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Also Night Thrasher from the new warriors is alive again in contest of champions!

[​IMG][/IMG]

20. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I'm more surprised that Contest of Champions is still going on. Would have thought by now Marvel would have axed it.

Also, I'm actually really shocked to see that according to:

Comic Book Sales Figures for May 2016

Punisher was the third best-selling physical comic to shops in May 2016. I know he's popular but never thought he would pull in more numbers than both Batman and Captain America, especially the last issue of the current Batman run and the first issue of Captain America. I guess being on Daredevil Season 2 and getting his own show has really bumped him to the forefront.

Sad to see Daredevil / Punisher do so much worse -- I thought it was the better story hands down (and still is, imo).