The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
  2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Did they though? I mean yeah, they definitely got people's attention, but I don't think they really turned people's attentions away from Rebirth. Then again, I can only really speak for myself.

I realize, even before typing this, that this is a huge overeaction on my part, but all this really does for me is kinda make me rethink buying Marvel's comics. It just makes them look desperate for attention, and it makes me worried about what other attention seeking things they might try in the future.

DC has not only grabbed my attention, but has done so in a way that I'm invested in what they're doing. I want to see where things are headed for the DC universe. I will admit, DC as a whole has a slight edge when it comes to me due to an existing emotional childhood connection to their properties, but it's not like I didn't grow up with anything Marvel related. I have fond memories of watching the Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons as a child. DC is, imho, doing a better job of making an emotional connection for me.

Marvel on the other hand, even with their X-Men '92 title, hasn't really done that for me yet. Then, on top of that they go and mess with their characters, seemingly just to insite controversy in a desperate bid for attention.

Like I said, I'm overeacting, but at the same time... I can't help but be a little worried about what this implies about Marvel's decisions.

3. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
  4. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Yeah, the FCBD issue had me interested in this, and I was going to pick the book up. That's over now. Big, huge, pass.

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Guys, keep in mind - comics do this all the time - it's their gimmick - for all we know - this could be another Superior Spider-man - which got a ton of online hatred early on, only for it to later become a highly regarded Spider-man storyline as the storyline progressed. Nick Spencer is a talented writer, and for me someone who can craft a better story than say Bendis at this point, so I'll stick around and see where he goes from here.

6. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

Odds are this is either the Cosmic Cube or a Elaborate LMD War Game

7. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

I think it's an interesting twist that could be the start of something cool before it goes back to the norm. I remember people going nuts over Bucky coming back and Doc Ock being Spider-Man.

It's a cape book, just enjoy the ride guys :/

8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I can't believe they just... that was... WHAT THE FUCK MARVEL?! They just Zack Snyder'd Captain America!!! Cap is the ONE person you don't do that too!!

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea, yea i am. because if DC did that, it'd be redeeming itself for the new 52 crap. :lol 

10. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I wasn't that active on the net when Winter Soldier came out - but from what I remember - I don't think people were that up in arms over it - were they?

Superior Spider-man on the other hand - man that was just about as crazy as this one.

11. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Lol what, seriously? Suddenly Marvel did this to steal attention away from DC?
    As if DC never did something shocking and stupid just to get a controversy started and attention. Remember when the last reboot started out with Joker cutting off his own face so he could wear it as a mask? Or their huge news announcements about how that mech Batman wasn't Bruce Wayne but a new Batman? Or how the time they had a press release about Joker actually being immortal, or the recent "we'll finally reveal the true identity of Joker" story they had in viral news.
    Or the big deal they make about the latest reboot every few years.

This is standard practice with comics these days, every large property has the "OMG we're going nuts and nobody is how you know them anymore" moments.

And really, pissed off because this "steals" attention and investment away from DCs Rebirth? It's yet another DC reboot maybe people ignoring that in favour of Cap maybe being the best double Agent Hydra has ever had because they know that getting invested in a DC reboot is like getting invested in a goldfish, it lasts up to five years and gets replaced by the next.

12. GamerSlyRatchet

GamerSlyRatchet Well-Known Member

I was more insulted that it took attention away from the final issue of Starbrand & Nightmask. It was a good book that depended on actual good writing and stories instead of gimmicks. It was already going to die, but the finale was overshadowed by this blatant, borderline offensive clickbait.

13. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

These reactions... I know the internet's gotta internet, but damn, just think for a second. This is clearly a one time thing, that will be explained away and will only last a few months to possibly a year. But there is zero chance that this is the ongoing status quo for the character.

14. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yeah but that's what most of the net is these days, and why clickbait is so prevalent - knee jerking is just taken to a whole 'nother level.

15. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

I might be misremembering, but a board I used to go on hated the very thought of bringing Bucky back until they read it. It may not have been the same everywhere.

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  17. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

18. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  19. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

idk, sounds pretty critical to me.

20. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I stay the hell away from comicbookmovie.com, site's just clickbait hell. Unfortunately, even sites like CBR are on that same Chris Evans Reaction bandwagon.