The All New, All Different, Recommend a comic/series

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DevilzFan, Aug 1, 2005.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Yay! I'll start.

First off, currently up to issue #3, is the Luna Bros. new book "Girls". A 12 issue maxi-series. Small town, weird stuff. Killer writing. I was a huge fan of "Ultra", and glad I picked this up too. Oh, and go look for "Ultra" too, if you've never read it. A totally different take on the Superhero community :) 

secondly, a staple for me now,(as seen by my avatar :p ) Terry Moore's spectacularly fantastic "Strangers In Paradise. The life story of Katchoo, Francine, and David, along with all the twists, turns, and bumps along the way. Give it a try! :thumb 

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

The Walking Dead from Image... really bloody good Zombie tale. Try it! GO ON!

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    yes, Girls does rock. I highly recommend it and Ultra.

I'll name a few

New Avengers - bendis and co. are cranking out some spectacularly good book. Funny, seriously, action packed, just all around good.

FF House of M - It's got Doom. Who can ask for more?

Weapon X - Sure it's over and done with but it's relatively easy to find and was one hell of agood book. A nice "mainstream" cult book. Also the new Days of Future Now looks to be pretty interesting. Days of Future Past is unavoidable! I smell Christopher Lloyd and Michael Fox popping up in a Dolorean!

4. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    A little old but... "Resurrection Man". Definitely a good read.

I was also told by a friend to check out "Desolation Jones"... not my recomendation, but I trust his opinion so I pass it on.

5. Prime64

Prime64 In state of deep blue

Wolverine currently written by Mark Millar and art by John Romita Jr is great reading. So far 11 issues by the current team.

All Star Batman & Robin- So far there's only one issue, but you can't go wrong with Frank Miller and Jim Lee. Same with All Star Superman that hasn't been released yet.

Case Closed- A mystery manga, but very entertaining. It's pretty mcuh broken into episodes of cases, but there are existing plot lines that run though the whole thing. So far 6 vols released by Viz so far.

Dr Slump- Very funny manga, from the creator of Dragon Ball.

6. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I haven't been reading comics much lately, but Cable & Deadpool is brilliant.

7. Iron Fist

Iron Fist Banned

Ultimate Iron Man - Three words: ORSON SCOTT CARD

8. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

i'd suggest atomika its got a very unique look to the book and the story is intresting i'd say more but its kind of hard to describe

9. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    I'd suggest Runaways... if only because it's got Julie Power in it this time around (go Power Pack!). And Ultron, and runaway kids of supervillians... and telepathic velociraptors... yeah.

Also The Ultimates, and in the same vein, New Avengers. I'm finding both series to be damned cool.

DC-wise, Batgirl. Followed that from the start, barring the two issues comic stores here didn't seem to get really early on. It got me back into Batman, kinda.

Manga-wise, hmm. I'm loving Bleach and Negima, but Boys Be is also been a bit of a surprise for me. Enjoying that a lot, and the two CLAMP releases out at the moment, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and XXXHolic. I didn't think I'd like Tsubasa when I first heard of it, but it's been real good, and XXXHolic is pretty cool, too.

10. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ennis' current punisher run. nothing spectacular but nice serial with consistently good storytelling and decent plot without trying hard to be different.

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Hey, I got a question about Girls.

I loved Issue 1. Absolutely loved it. It was like the writer read my mind or something. Like a Sex In the City that men would actually like.

I stopped reading after Issue 2, though. The weirdness, egg-laying, and the lack of focus on this guy's hatred of women that was the focus of Issue 1 just sort of turned me off.

Is it worth going back and tracking down this thing again?

12. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

When it comes back, I recomend Rex Mundi. Its on a year long haitus right now though.

CONAN the barbarian from Dark horse,

Samurai Heaven and Earth is good too. also from Dark horse.

13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    He didn't hate women, he just hated how the ones he knew acted. And the third is great. A true WTF moment as the rest of the town sits outside the house waiting for the sheriff to shoot the kid.

14. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Teen Titans, such a well written book. From Mia's confession about being HIV positive to the reaction of Beast and Kid Flash. You get this bitter sweet feeling of family. I only started with issue 23 but I've enjoyed every issue since and it's made me a DCU fanboy.

15. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Damn, you beat me to it, I only read it in the Trade Paperbacks, but damn, is it good. :thumbs2: 

16. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Yeah Teen Titans has been great. I need to get caught up. I think that was about where I stopped.

17. CyclopianVision

CyclopianVision Banned

Surprised no one mentioned these:

Fables (DC Vertigo) by Bill Willingham - Simply amazing...pick up the trades.
    Y The Last Man (DC Vertigo) by Brian K. Vaughan - read above...pick up the trades
    Planetary (DC Wildstorm) by Warren Ellis & John Cassaday on the art

& seconding:

Runaways

18. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cable and Deadpool is great... read the TPB's that are out (and in places like Borders too!)

Since it's the only book I read (and also maintain a website/forum about)... I recommend it heartily!